main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

St. Lou, MO Would you go over seas to fight in this war?

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by dudeman, Mar 19, 2003.

?

Would you go over seas to fight in this war?

Poll closed Mar 24, 2012.
  1. yes

68.4%
  2. no

31.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dudeman

dudeman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
  2. Jedi_Tabee

Jedi_Tabee Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 6, 2001
    I'd go in a heartbeat

but I prolly won't have to, unless this war drags on and they start up the draft... and even then I prolly won't have to go.

But I might enlist so I can help.

3. quigon_brian

quigon_brian Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 16, 2001
    I wouldn't necessarily enlist, but if they instituted the draft, I wouldn't be some worthless draft-dodging hippie. I would go if they needed me. I think it's horrible that people will take full advantages of their freedoms yet refuse to fight to defend them. Even if you don't completely agree with what your country's doing, you should still stand by it.

4. BlueLeader22

BlueLeader22 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2001
    Yea, I'm not going to go sign up or anything, but if the draft ever did start up again and they needed people, I'd be right there when they picked my number, this is a great nation and I'd be proud to fight and die for it!

5. VoijaRisa

VoijaRisa Jedi Master star 5

Oct 12, 2002
    Not a chance in hell I'd go. I've lost most of my respect for Bush and this country and don't feel that it's worth fighting for.

6. TATOOINEFARMGIRL

TATOOINEFARMGIRL Jedi Master star 1

May 26, 2002
    I would certainly go if really needed. All my support goes to our military and President; they're doing a great job :)

Three cheers for the red,white and blue!

7. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    This is not an attempt to start a flame war, but nobody's focing you to stay here Jon. You're old enough that if you don't like this country, you could go to school in Canada or England or anywhere else. If you don't like the country, why would you stay here?

8. Daarthe-Monogpfm

Daarthe-Monogpfm Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    Yes. I'm considering joining the RAAF when I'm older, actually.

9. MyreAlonde

MyreAlonde Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 22, 2002
    Dude, this war is gonna be over in no time. I wouldnt even make it outta boot fast enough to go.

10. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    I would go over seas for the war if I was drafted (ofcourse) but I don't know if I would enlist or not. I'd probably be really scared, but I'd probably go. Maybe, maybe not.

GO BUSH!!!!

11. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    i would go over even if they didnt do the draft. people would have one hell of a time trying to keep me back from joining the air force or somewhere when i turn 18 if this war aint over with. but it prolly will, i would still have to wait 4 whole years before i could go... :*(

but no one would even have to ask me to join, i would already be over seas and on the battlefield before the bus came to my house.

12. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    If you don't like the country, why would you stay here?

Just getting through college, and then I'm considering moving to Australia and adopting a koala.

13. yodaboy

yodaboy Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 5, 2001
    i'm glad i'm under draft age :D

14. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    Koalas are off-limits in Aussie, Voija ;)

15. jedimaster5615

jedimaster5615 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 23, 2002
    At least you live in a country that allows you to go to college.

16. BlueLeader22

Nov 30, 2001
    Why is it when everyone is trying to get away from America they head to Australia? They are one of America's allies, they have troops right there with us in Iraq right now.

17. VoijaRisa

Oct 12, 2002
    It's not the fact that the US is at war that's bothering me. The thing that pisses me off about the US is the political bs that got us here.

18. quigon_brian

Aug 16, 2001
    It's not political BS that got us here. It's Saddam building hella weapons. What do you suggest we do? Sit on our butts and wait for him to build enough weapons so that he's strong enough to beat us? That's the reason we have to take care of it now. So that in 10 years, we don't have to deal with his crap again.

Plus, every country in the world has political problems. Granted, we might have more problems than some other countries, but the US is still the best damn country in the world. Stamped it.

19. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    i could not have said it better myself brian. that is so extremely right.

20. BlueLeader22

Nov 30, 2001
    Well if the US and their political BS got them to where they are now, if somewhere down the future the US does something else, there is a good chance that Australia will be going right along with us again. There is no escaping it.

But I do agree with Brian on all this. We are simply trying to stop Saddam from turning Iraq into what North Korea is now. Personally I'd rather us face Saddam now than later.

21. Dagobah_Diva

Dagobah_Diva Jedi Master star 4

Sep 24, 2002
    I would have gone to fight ten years ago, but now I have a family to care for. My mindset has changed. However, I completely support the troops and their cause. And even though I think Bush's intelligence level extremely low...I think this war was the right decision.

22. padawanjo

padawanjo Jedi Youngling

Oct 24, 2002
    Why is it that anytime someone makes a comment critical of Bush (I recall living the past eight years hearing CONSTANT criticism of Bill Clinton and little support for the wars he sent kids on) the response is to leave the country?

Might I give you a history lesson:
    GEORGE WASHINGTON and BENJAMIN FRANKLIN spoke out against the government of their times (that of another George, King George).To those who tell Voija to leave the country if he/she is unhappy, would you have sided w/the government of King George and would you have told George Washington to leave?

Others who have spoken out against US government policies:
    SUSAN B ANTHONY: Fought for the right of women to vote: Since she was unhappy not being able to vote should she have left the US?

MARTIN LUTHER KING: Fought for the right of black people to be seen as human. Should he have left the US as well? Considering the politics of some I am sure there are those who would say he should have left.

As far as the comment that at least in the US you can go to college, PLEASE, Until very recently the Iraqi population was among the most well educated of the Arab countries. Of course 20 years of war have decimated the country. Also, in most European countries higher education is free unlike here where it is increasingly becoming available only to those with means to pay for it or willing to go into extreme debt.

I agree Hussein is evil but so is Kim Jong Il and the Chinese leadership. Bush ignores Il and American big business does a lot of business w/China.

I will NEVER have to worry about being sent to war due to my age. Were I of age to be drafted, IF THERE WAS A DRAFT, I would not go because I don't think the burden of service is equally shared across the socio economic spectrum. Read today's New York Times (http://www.nytimes.com/2003/03/30/international/worldspecial/30DEMO.html?ex=1050029827&ei=1&en=4def05c6db8a99e3) for an article about what slice of the class pie in the US serves. It isn't the Jenna Bush's of the world that is for sure.

I think that those of you who are so gung ho to go IF CALLED should heed your words and march on down to the recruiting station and walk the talk. Easy to say you would go IF DRAFTED when a draft does not exist.

Before the flame war starts let me give you my credentials: My brother served on the front lines in Persian Gulf War I and I was against that one as well.

Not all sequals are good sequals.

23. flying_fishi

flying_fishi Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 26, 2002
    I think that those of you who are so gung ho to go IF CALLED should heed your words and march on down to the recruiting station and walk the talk. Easy to say you would go IF DRAFTED when a draft does not exist.

I'm too young to sign up.

As far as the comment that at least in the US you can go to college...

Sorry.

At least in the US you can verbally castrate the leader without taking a bullet to the head.

24. dudeman

Jun 19, 2002
    to padawanjo:

hey if i was old enough i would march on down to the recruitment center, i have even told this to my mom, i said 'mom, you do know if this war goes on until i am 18, i am going over to fight dont you?' i said that to my own mother just so you dont have the impression that some of us wouldnt go over, drafted or not.

and about voija: he said that he wanted to leave. we didnt say go to australia. he did. so i am not sure what you are talking about there.

25. BlueLeader22

Nov 30, 2001
    I agree Hussein is evil but so is Kim Jong Il and the Chinese leadership. Bush ignores Il and American big business does a lot of business w/China.

Thoes are all different levels of evil right there. We can't exactly go right on into China and North Korea like we can in Iraq. One of the reasons we are going into Iraq now is to do it becase we can now, not wait until later when Iraq does reach the level of the likes of North Korea. We don't need another power hungry dictator waving around his weapons to get attention. America isn't ignoring the situation in North Korea, they are exploring options, you just don't hear a lot about it on the news with the war and all. As soon as the US gets things set up with its allies in the region, then we will be ready to sit down with North Korea.

Being drafted and changing my life by signing up for the armed services are two different things. I would be more than happy to go over to where ever to fight for my nation. I'll say that in good times and in bad. I know what I stand for and I'm willing to fight for them. Just because I don't sign up for the army now doesn't mean anything other than that's not the path I want for my life. I love computers, so that's what I'm doing. I don't think I was put here to be a army guy my whole life. You can't make a judgment on people without getting to know them. Some people may change their mind when a draft does happen and try to get out of it if it were to happen, but I won't for sure, even though I'm almost out of the draft age. If they needed people bad enough and I was too old, I would do what I would have to do to help. It would have to get really bad if the US actually had to call up the draft again.

I'm not against people saying what they think or how they feel about certian situations that come up. That's what is so great about this nation, and we should all be thankful that we have the right to do so. We also need to remember that we weren't just given this right, people had to die and fight for this right. People need to remember that, we are fighting for the freedom of people to have the same rights as us right now. Rights aren't just given to people like it should be, sometimes people have to stand up and use force to get what everyone should have.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.