main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you like a post-ROTS spin-off about the Jedi Purge?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jonipoon, Jun 10, 2016.

?

Would you?

1. Yes please!

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No, thanks

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Maybe, but not right now

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    Order 66, the Jedi Purge, was one of the most saddest scenes in the entire saga. I'd love to see a movie dealing with the direct consequences of it, from the viewpoint of a surviving Jedi.

Now, Rebels is already dealing with this in some way, but it takes place 15 years after ROTS and is more focused on the Rebellion and the Empire in order to blend in more with the OT.

A movie taking place directly post-ROTS would give an idea of how some Jedi, like Kanan, managed to survive order 66, and how some survivors were eventually tracked down and killed (perhaps by Darth Vader himself).

There's definitely a lot of possibilites for this type of film. The abundance of Jedi in the Old Republic would make it easy to create new interesting characters, while also not excluding the possibility of adding live-action portrayals of legendary Jedi survivors like Quinlan Vos. I'd especially like to see groups of surviving Jedi getting together in order to figure out how to destroy the Sith. Luring Vader into some sort of bait in order to kill him has been done in comics, and this type of storyline would work very well on the big screen.

Here is my quick draft of one storyline I came up with (not finished):

Jedi Purge: A Star Wars Story
    3 months after the events of Revenge of the Sith, more and more Jedi who survived Order 66 are starting to come out of their hiding. The recently founded Galactic Empire has putted out “Wanted” signs for Jedi all over the galaxy, with substantial rewards offered in exchange for helpful information – or even better, a dead Jedi. Meanwhile, the Emperor’s new apprentice, the Sith Lord Darth Vader, has been given a quest to hunt down the remaining Jedi. The Emperor’s guidelines to Vader have been clear – Show no mercy, but don’t fall into enemy traps.

Human Jedi Knight Lora Keth is one of the survivors. At the end of the Clone Wars, she witnesses her master Ki-Adi Mundi getting shot down by clones at Mygeeto from a platform above. After battling with some of the clones, she takes a leap of faith into a snowy abyss and is then assumed dead. But - she survives in a small cave where she takes shelter and meditates, trying to find answers. During her meditation, she senses the absence of many other Jedi and even hears a warning from Yoda, prompting all Jedi throughout the galaxy to stay low and try to survive. But after several weeks, Lora can’t take it anymore. She sneaks back up into the city in order to find a transport away from the planet. To her dismay, she finds out that she has become an outlaw in the new Galactic Empire. The very people she swore to protect turns against her, and her morality is tested when a group of citizens in a bar attacks her – forcing her to defend herself and severing one citizen’s arm, but in the process accidently killing another. The people in the bar then scream at Lora, saying things like “Jedi scum” and “Stay away from us, freak”. Filled with guilt, she throws her lightsaber to the ground and says:
    “Then just shoot me where you stand.”
    An easier task said than done, only a handful of nervous citizens step forward and raise their blasters. They all seem to be hesitating when pointing a charged blaster against a defenseless person.
    A cloaked observer, whom up until recently has watched the bar scene escalate from a table in the corner, then quickly jumps across the room, ignites a lightsaber and then strikes down all the blaster-wielding citizens. The bar is quickly emptied as people run away, screaming in fear and yet again shouting things like “Jedi murderers”. The observer then kneels down, picks up Lora’s lightsaber and then offers it to her. Now his face is revealed – it’s Quinlan Vos!
    “What were you thinking?” he says with anger in voice.
    Lora is shocked - he killed them!
    “Vos…! You survived...!” is all she manages to get out of her mouth.

That's it for the moment.

2. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    Yes. If they're making a prequel to ANH, then why not a sequel to ROTS?

vncredleader likes this.
  3. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    Just canonise Luceno's Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader as a film.

4. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    Had too much of that era (about sixteen years worth), so no. Time for OT, ST and other eras to shine. For at least a decade and a half. And then perhaps we can revisit the PT world, including periods immediately before and after.

OZQUAD44 likes this.
  5. vncredleader

vncredleader Force Ghost star 5

Mar 28, 2016
    But the OT era did shine during the past decades. Even when the PT was the main thing the OT was given games and comics. Why cant we let every era shine at the same time? Do they need to take turns? If there is a good idea for a dark times era film then why not do it rather then sticking to just OT stuff like we have in the new canon. we have done so much OT stuff recently that it would be good to let the other eras get more stuff in this new canon especially when its the only era thats still around that has a lot of continuity left therefore its a good place to work up from to build the mythos again. We shouldn't have to wait a decade and a half to get PT stuff just cause it was in the forefront for a while. It doesn't have to be used as much as it was before but its not like having a spin off film after we haven't touched this era in the mainstream in 3 years will over-saturate it. I don't get why people are so adverse to doing more big PT things since at the time being we can only do spin offs and comics for the PT and OT for the most part. it makes sense to split the spin offs and everything between the two till they can do whatever they want with the ST stuff. Which may take a while cause they don't want to give away any events that will be shown in ep 8 or 9.

Big Boss likes this.
  6. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Fair enough. Obviously just a personal preference!

7. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    Well we are all fans. Can we really be objective? I mean a Wedge Antilles trilogy of films might not be the best idea financially but I would want them to do it anyway.

8. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    What To Do With All These Dead Jedi - An Order 67 Tale

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Knights of the Living Dead. Actually, They're Just Dead

10. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    Well the early dark times era has had little light shown on it in the new canon.

If the dark times was ever returned to after Rebels is over, the early years is what I would want to see (perspective from survivors and the Empire).

But if there is no other TV series in this time period, then we should eventually get a spin off film.

Good reason to portray clones, Jedi, Republic Tech without resorting to the PT era.

Would be awesome if Ahsoka got a cameo.

Maybe a spin off could be focused on a new character who is a survivor but has given up on the Jedi path. Unlike Kanan he never returns to being a Jedi.

Huttese 101 likes this.
  11. Master_Lok

Master_Lok Force Ghost star 6

Dec 18, 2012
    No thanks. Das Jennir was an interesting rare case scenario, but Rebels etc. is pushing it.

12. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    Pushing what?

Dark Times was great, just a shame it was ended in a rush. The Uhumele crew was much more interesting than the Ghost crew I think.

vncredleader and Force Smuggler like this.
  13. vncredleader

Mar 28, 2016
    The dark times era overall is amazing. I love seeing Jedi being forced to change or refusing to change or whatever. Seeing how different people deal with the tragedy and the Empire's reign. Some break, some become better Jedi then they did before, and others did what they needed to. This era has so much potential for character pieces and is so big that it would be criminal not to do more stories in this era.

14. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I suppose this could be the Vader spin-off a lot of people want.

15. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    The OT has been shining since 1977, and is now shining ever so bright thanks to the ST. Almost everything being produced by Disney/Lucasfilm at the moment in terms of comics/videogames/you-name-it is related to the OT era.

If anything, a spin-off during the PT era with another director than George could perhaps change some people's perspective on it. Like, big time.

whostheBossk likes this.
  16. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Okay, here my pitch that is inspired by some old EU stuff.

Quinlan Vos and Shaak Tii have married and live in relative peace on some backwater dustbowl. They have stopped using lightsabers and being Jedi altogether. With them are a bunch of force sensitive kids they wish to protect from the Empire (because the Empire likes hunting force sensitive kids which is explained in the crawl).

But unfortunately, one day one of the kids gets mugged. To defend itself, it uses the force. They think nobody has seen it but unfortunately someone has, a droid. The droid contacts Boba Fett and tells him about the kid. Boba wants to get the bounty for the Jedi and goes to planet backwater with a few bountyhunter buddies.

They attack the farmstead and some pretty intense fighting breaks out. In a rush the Jedi manage to flee the planet. One of the kids is killed.

Boba however manages to track the course the ship is taking. He contacts the Empire and guess who responds? Darth Vader. He tells Boba to continue chasing the Jedi, he will catch them from the other side.

We get a scene in hyperspace in which Vos is furious! He beats himself up because one of the kids died. We see his darkside tendencies (in the new canon he had a fling with the darkside fyi). He worries that if he uses the force to fight the darkside might consume him. Shaak tells him the greatest danger is not that they are killed, its that they lose their way and become monsters themselves. Shaak has to promise Vos to kill him if he ever fell to the dark side again. Here we have our personal conflict for the two leads.

Now a wild goose chase throughout the galaxy commences. There are lots of fights and Vos seems to become darker and darker throughout.

Then the final confrontation: Vader arrives and everything is about to fall apart. Vos finally breaks, but even steeped in the darkside he tells to go Shaak go with the kids while he fends of Vader. Vader and Vos engage in an epic duel in which Vos unleashes the full power of the darkside, but Vader is more powerful and overcomes him. Meanwhile Shaak has to fend of the bounty hunters who have stopped trying to capture the Jedi and are now shooting to kill. She manages to guide the kids to safety, but Shaak is shot by Boba Fett. Shaak dies in the arms of the oldest child, telling it that now it must protect the other children and that they are the hope of the future. They must survive until the time is right for the Jedi to return.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  17. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    The idea on paper sounds good, however there will need to be something to hold it together. It couldn't just be about Vader hunting Jedi. There has to be something binding it.

The same goes for the upcoming Han Solo movie, add up all the pieces, meets Chewie, wins Falcon, meets Jabba, but whats holding it together.

18. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    Lol, but there is something holding it together if you write it like that.

Not every movie needs to include big-scale stuff in order to hold it together, all you need is a story that holds together. We're just not used to Star Wars movies dealing with stuff on the smaller scale yet. That's why I'm sure the Han Solo film with change people's perspective on this.

Darth_Pevra and Force Smuggler like this.
  19. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    If the film is just about Vader going out and hunting Jedi then to me thats not enough to warrant the film. There has to be something more in the story than just Vader waking up, getting ready, jumping in his ship and trying to kill a Jedi. The plot. Whos the protagonist of the story? Vader? Thats something hes never really been when we've seen him suited up. What is the Jedi trying to do? Is he helping someone? Is he in hiding? I don't mean a big far reaching story that spans 3 films, but it has to be an interesting plot and good characters to drive a 2 hour film?

Theres nothing wrong with seeing Vader in his prime, I'd love that too and is one of the spin offs I listed in one of the other threads. But thinking about it, if they go down the route of a flimsy storied film to just hang a few Vader action scenes on, then we are getting in to the realms of the weak comic book character movies we've seen over recent years, with rubbish plot and characters. Thats why I think Vader is maybe better as the threat that's suited very well to the plot of something like Rogue One in fact.

miasma likes this.
  20. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Well I did just pitch a possible plot... [face_whistling]

I agree. Even a movie in which only the lives of a few people are at stake can be very tension-packed. It all depends on the execution.

21. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I voted "No" since there wasn't a "**** NO" option.

22. Blackhole E Snoke

Apr 26, 2016
    No need to be a jerk about it.

vncredleader likes this.
  23. GregMcP

GregMcP Force Ghost star 5

Jul 7, 2015
    The Purge: Jedis.
    On the night of the annual Purge, Star Wars Fans hit the street to inflict bloody chaos.

Deliveranze likes this.
  24. Jonipoon

Apr 22, 2014
    But the film wouldn't be about Vader, it would be about the surviving Jedi. We're just pitching ideas, not writing complete scripts. With new characters the possibilities are basically endless, and the only thing you're bound to would be that a Jedi protagonist in a film taking place directly after ROTS has to be dead >15 years later to fit into Rebels. 15 years leaves you with a lot of space for just 1 single film taking place directly after ROTS.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  25. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Jedi Master star 4

Aug 31, 2014
    My vote goes to Maybe, but not right now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.