main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you like a post-ROTS spin-off about the Jedi Purge?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Jonipoon, Jun 10, 2016.

?

Would you?

1. Yes please!

28 vote(s)
    51.9%
  2. No, thanks

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. Maybe, but not right now

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Yes, as long as it focused on a small number of remaining Jedi and this formed part of a Vader anthology film. And maybe about 3 to 5 years after ROTS; where these remaining Jedi are the source of constant problems for an Empire just beginning to tighten its grip on the galaxy.

2. Jonipoon

Jonipoon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2014
    I still think directly tying it into the end of ROTS is the most interesting, similar to how Rogue One will tie directly into the events of ANH. I want to able to aatch this film directly after ROTS and feel like its a continuation of Order 66 (its aftermath).

3. Generational Fan

Generational Fan Jedi Master star 4

Oct 21, 2015
    Yep, that would work too. And with Vader still reeling from Padme's death and probably feeling responsible for it, the raw-ness of his emotions at that point would be a great catalyst for the magnification of his dark side powers because you will have someone now that would show no mercy whatsoever. He would be relentless in his pursuit of the remaining Jedi.

4. Rickleo123

Rickleo123 Jedi Knight star 3

May 20, 2016

I'm all about Vader hunting down remaining Jedi. But if you're going to introduce MORE new jedi/force users into canon, please for the love of god make sure disney has the heart to kill them off by the end of the movie and have Vader clearly take them out. Its getting pretty ridiculous with Ashoka still alive apparently, we have no idea where ezra/kanan end up at Rebels conclusion but since it's a kids show and disney isn't keen on a mass murder as the shows ending I'm guessing we end with some ambiguous conclusion... where exactly are all these jedi/force users by the time of ANH?

5. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    I thought the implication at the end of season 2 was that Ahsoka died. Her walking down those stairs leading underground seemed like a clear metaphor for death to me. I thought it was a nice bit of subtlety for the show, which isn't always so subtle.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  6. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

That's not what was implied by Fionli in interviews, he seemed to say her story would continue in other mediums etc. It was pretty obvious they left it ambiguous so they can bring her back again in a future season or when they see fit. It also bothered me they refused to show Vader clearly strike her down and bring their relationship to close. Dont even get me started on Maul, the fact he's alive one year or so before ANH and if we dont finally see his end next season it's going to be laughable at this point.

whostheBossk and Force Smuggler like this.
  7. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    Ah, well. Disappointing, if that's the case.

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Really? I feel like that is exactly what was implied by Filoni. When the interviewer asked "Ahsoka is totally alive right?" Filoni replied, "Is that what you saw? That’s so interesting. That’s so good. You know I think it says a lot about who you are, which is great. You’re an optimist, and I think that that’s strong, I think that that’s strong. [Laughs] It’s an interpretation." I think he is heavily implying that she's dead. He did say there are more stories to tell, but he also said they'd be before rebels or later in the CW, which again, implies to me that she is dead.

Either way, I don't know why they chose to make it as subtle or ambiguous as they did.

9. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    That's what I thought as well. Unless there's another Filoni interview out there which makes it clear that she's alive, I'm going to assume she's dead. I thought it was a nice visual way to do it, actually. Didn't need to see her struck down.

whostheBossk likes this.
  10. Darth_Pevra

Darth_Pevra Chosen One star 6

May 21, 2008
    Personally I think she might return as a ghost.

11. Mister Bones

Mister Bones Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2016
    Obviously I have no clue what Filoni has in mind for the character, but showing her walking back into the Sith temple doesn't strike me as a great way to allude to her death. I reckon she will be back.

12. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016
    He says pretty point blank in an IGN interview: You know, I think the thing that I’ve learned is that the character has a lot of strength to be on her own, doing things. And perhaps that means she’s still alive. I don’t know. There are clues to the actual answer in what I think throughout, I will say that. And some kids at the [finale] screening were shooting pretty close to the mark, or at least were decoding the [clues] that I have left for them. It’s one of those mysteries then where maybe, beyond hope, maybe there is a future, but we’ll have to wait and see.

It was a major cop out no doubt dictated by Disney so they can milk more stories in the timeline if need be and now we're left with yet another jedi/force user who seems to exist into the original trilogy or disney is too scared to kill off. I just dont like the idea of introducing more canon force users at the time of OT unless they actually plan on writing a logical end for them.

13. weezer

May 16, 2001
    Its all the same interview. Like JabbatheHumanBeing said, I don't know if there are others.

The problem is the interview is ambiguous as the ending. I take it, as a whole, as indicating her story is over, and we got her logical ending. It could be that they're afraid to definitively end a beloved character, and I guess I don't really blame them.

I also don't think it really matters, it's the EU... it's Disney nu-EU, but it doesn't seem that different to me at the end of the day. They put back together a bisected Maul, if someone down the line has a great story for Ahsoka it wouldn't have mattered if we saw Vader cut her head off or not, they would have retconned it one way or another. Leaving it ambiguous just makes it a little easier to do what they would have done anyway.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I really like the ambiguity of that ending, and the mysteriously symbolic nature of Ahsoka's exit. It's something that SW doesn't always do, and I thought it fitting. Elevated the material, IMO, and I think it's one of Filoni's finer moments as an artist. I think calling it a cop out ordered by Disney does it a huge disservice.

15. Rickleo123

May 20, 2016

I just didnt feel anything symbolic/mysterious in it... Ambiguity would have been showing Vader/Ashoka clash and then never seeing what happened but Vader emerging victorious from the explosion. To show her clearly alive, walking back into the temple felt pretty clear to me it was purposely a way to say, "she survived" and Vader did not kill her. What purpose does it serve to not end her before the events of ANH? Is the character meant to live on to OT? Are we going to get her appearing in another clash with Vader between Empire and ROTJ? The integrity of the original canon starts feeling very compromised. It doesn't matter that she's beloved. Yoda/Mace/Obi/Han are all beloved but the story needs to end at some point.

Deliveranze and whostheBossk like this.
  16. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I still believe that Ahsoka calmly walking into the underground temple was a metaphor for her death. Filoni's comments still leave that open as a real possibility. And I don't mind not being absolutely sure about it.

17. Skydoll

Skydoll Jedi Master star 1

Apr 27, 2016
    Sure seemed like ambiguity to me, and I enjoyed it for that. It allows for a sort of Shroedinger's cat effect - Ahsoka can live on, or you can choose to think of it as her death. Win-win. Vader ain't gonna tell. I don't really understand people's issues with the ending as it currently stands.

Of course, if Filoni (or someone else) brings Ahsoka back later in the timeline, nearer to ANH, that'll change things, because it'll give us a definitive answer. I'm an Ahsoka fan (obviously) but I think I actually prefer the state of not knowing. Maybe he's pulling punches with a character he loves (and a lot of people became invested in that character) but I do agree, in the end, you have to do what's best for the overall story. I'm hoping he won't pull the same trick with Ezra and Kanan - I think we have to know their ultimate fates.

On the other hand, it's a big galaxy, and a wider universe beyond the outer rim. I'd like to get a sense of Force users elsewhere, non-Jedi, and maybe those who come to it with an entirely different philosophy from how we know it. Maybe it is possible to keep it balanced, be a user who manages both.

As for a post-ROTS movie on the Jedi purge, I'd be into it. I'd like to see a raw, young Vader.

18. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk. So apologies.

Before a "Darth Maul Trilogy PLEASE!" thread is inevitably posted, I would like to preemptively state that, if it was seriously being considered by LFL and Disney, and if it would prevent this from ever going into production, I would sacrifice one of my testicles.

What was Dark Times?

19. Big Boss

Big Boss Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 16, 2015
    I say YES.
    although now is not the right time... the ending would still be really dark and with VIII (middle movie) and Rogue One, its all very dark atm.
    i also think theres a lot they can do in this period, who they would/could focus on (imo focusing on an antagonist for this type of film would be great/different) and many great stories are possible (themes/overall message).

if one isnt made, id be very disappointed. Order 66 is one of those moments where it made it popular in the main stream but was also a great segment of the movie/saga. its just ripe for creatives to get in on.

20. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    no thanks and please something between ROTJ and TFA instead. ;)

21. Blackhole E Snoke

Blackhole E Snoke Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 26, 2016
    The Dark Horse comic series. http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Star_Wars:_Dark_Times

22. MotherNature's SilverSeed

MotherNature's SilverSeed Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 4, 2013
    Thanks!

23. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    On this, we can agree. :)

nightangel likes this.
  24. weezer

May 16, 2001
    I just wonder what you could do in that period that would appease the fans. They'd have to either do something completely different, with all new characters (which I don't think is what most want when they say they want movies from that period) or they'd have to do some crazy CGI feature length version of what we saw in Civil War, Ant Man, etc. You think SW fans flipped out when they cast a young Han? Imagine them recasting Han, Luke, and Leia for versions of their characters that is supposed to fit between two movies with the same actors.

I honestly think that is a period that you'll never see in the movies (well maybe 10-15 years down the road when the new characters reach the same level as the OT characters). I think they'll save it for books, animation, etc.

Blackhole E Snoke likes this.
  25. JabbatheHumanBeing

Jul 14, 2015
    I'm perfectly happy with recasting fan favorite characters - particularly if Nina Gold is at the helm. Some fans may freak out at first, but if the results are successful, they'll forget they were ever concerned.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.