main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you like a Prequel Era X-Wing style series? (AKA a Jedi Starfighter series or something else?)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by ILLUMINATUS_JEDI, Mar 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    I think it would be cool to have a Prequel Era X-Wing Style series dealing with Jedi pilots in the Clone Wars or something like that.

What da ya think?

2. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    It's funny but Lucasarts considers starfighter, and jedi starfighter to be the next games in the x-wing series, As they put it:

"Inspired by its unparalleled Star Wars flight-game heritage, LucasArts Entertainment Company LLC brings all the intensity of its classic air and space combat games to PlayStation 2 with Star Wars Starfighter."

"Star Wars Starfighter follows in the long tradition of LucasArts' highly acclaimed flight combat titles, offering rich game play and a deeply engaging story," says Tom Byron, director of product marketing for LucasArts."

"Star Wars: Starfighter combines groundbreaking technology, cutting-edge graphics and a compelling narrative, with LucasArts' well-known expertise in the flight simulation genre."

3. ILLUMINATUS_JEDI

ILLUMINATUS_JEDI Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2001
    That means Lucasarts are losing thier touch [face_plain] :(

But I'm on about the books, the X-Wing books are inspired by the games right?
    So will they have a Jedi Starfighter series/ Do you think it is a good idea?

4. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "That means Lucasarts are losing thier touch"

Actually more defined it means that they are reducing controles for console purposes, [face_plain].

Yes, certainly, it is true that the books were inspired by the games.

But onto your questio, yes, I would love to see the another prequel style x-wing series.

5. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    I'd like it too.

"Actually more defined it means that they are reducing controles for console purposes."

Actually I prefer arcade than simulation. It's just another genre... I don't think it's for console purposes...

6. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Actually I prefer arcade than simulation. It's just another genre... I don't think it's for console purposes"

No,actually lfl considers both starfighter games to be "simulation" rather than arcade.

They have more precise controle than x-wing rogue squadron arcade games actually.

Now, I have played wing commander ports to the consoles, and they play just like there counterparts but had less commands and simplistic controle compared to the the PC versions, because the controllers could only do so much.

7. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Huh ? Starfighter has more than Rogue Squad ? Not sure... Honestly it must be about the same.

No, really, if they consider Starfighter a 'simulation' they're wrong in pure gaming terms, IMO.

8. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Huh ? Starfighter has more than Rogue Squad ? Not sure... Honestly it must be about the same"

It had a few more weapons and targeting options than rogue squadron has, plus ability to command your wingman. Very similer to the wing commander ports to playstation. Then it also added more precise controle requiring use of both of analog sticks.

Beyond that both fly and feel about the same in wing commander and starfighter. Though wing commander has a whole lot more levels.

As for x-wing the newest one moved closer to being like starfighter from what I can see controle wise. with about some of the same added controle options.

Basically when it comes to ports of pc games to computers they have to dumb down the controles to less button format, but the gamplay remains the same. But basically you'll hear people arguing to the day they die that it's arcade, and others that say simulation. Even if both are true.

Even X-wing rogue squadron on the PC, had few more controle buttons than the console version interestingly enough. Most of the controle options matched similer button map on x-wing and tiefighter games, minus only a few commands, and flew more smoothly because of it. Battle of naboo port was similer in that respect as well.

9. Wedge 88

Wedge 88 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 16, 1999
    Anything X-wing series quality, no matter the story line, would be great.

10. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Oh, well, I might be wrong...

For info, I consider Wing Commander - on PC - arcade, and X-Wing Alliance simulation.

As a general rule, if I can fire repeatedly on a lot of target simultaneously without asking me much about energy, then I consider arcade -> Thus starfighter is a perfect example for me of an arcade game. If I have to continuously rebalance between engine, shield and weapon to be efficient, I consider simulation.

Oh, and Val, have you ever played Descent : Freespace, The Great War and its sequel Freespace 2 from Volition, Inc. ? If you haven't I bet you'd like both of them if you enjoyed Wing Commander. Plus, the story has a strong NJO taste (about the invaders).

11. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Oh, well, I might be wrong...

"For info, I consider Wing Commander - on PC - arcade, and X-Wing Alliance simulation.

As a general rule, if I can fire repeatedly on a lot of target simultaneously without asking me much about energy, then I consider arcade -> Thus starfighter is a perfect example for me of an arcade game. If I have to continuously rebalance between engine, shield and weapon to be efficient, I consider simulation."

Funny when I play wing commander series I messed with the shield systems and gun systems for better survival, :). They had almost the same amount of controles as x-wing if cared to use them. But like I said there will be arguement on both ends. origin considered wing commander to be some of the first generation simulation games, and for the longest time it was what all series were based on, and compared to, including the later x-wing.

"Oh, and Val, have you ever played Descent : Freespace, The Great War and its sequel Freespace 2 from Volition, Inc. ? If you haven't I bet you'd like both of them if you enjoyed Wing Commander. Plus, the story has a strong NJO taste (about the invaders). "

Yes, great fun. I really love it's shield monitoring systems best in most games. Great series and sad that genre has died.

On another note in the vein of wing commander there was another great game, starlancer. Though I have never beaten the last level, the game keeps on bugging on me and crashing out there, :(. The sequal freelancer, a game in the lines of wing commander privateer(a space simulator and trading game) is supposed to come out pretty soon according to advertisments on gamespot, :).

12. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    I sometimes played with shields and co. but only in 'critical' situation... Usually I stay at 1/3 1/3 1/3. :D Maybe I'm a bit lazy. :p

Yeah, the FS and WingCom genre is my fav video game genre... Nothin' better than vaping some bandits. :D

I played Starlancer as well, it had some really good missions in it. (I'll always remember mission three when you went through the enemy portal... 600% adrenaline pump.)

And I'm almost sure I'll be buying Freelancer as well.

I played Privateer 2 a lot too. 't was funny to play a somewhat RPG-type of space shooter. :D

13. jaeger

jaeger Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 10, 2001
    As long as the names "Stackpole" and "Horn" were no where to be seen, I'd be for it.

"For info, I consider Wing Commander - on PC - arcade, and X-Wing Alliance simulation"

I don't even think you can compare these two. Wing Commander was a sim based on a well thought out, good and continueing storylines (when Hobbis turns on you in WC3 is a great momemnt) that suck you in and make you want to play more. Plus the choices you make turn the cut-scenes and how you do in missions (you can fail a mission) determines the next story twist and what missions you can/will play. Last, the missile and torpedo system (play WC:prophcy) it better and much more realistic. The X-Wing series (while with better graphics and radar system) has bascially no story (X-Wing Alliance included) and the games are over all fairly shallow. You can't fail a mission, if you do, you just do it again, nothing that you do matters in the games. As for the missile/torpedo system, in X-Wing you can't fire your missiles and lasers at the same time, and I don't know how many torpedos your fire at a SD, you wouldn't be able to weaken their shield and blow the ship up that way, with out targetting specific targets on the ship.

14. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, having played both, Rogue Squadron/Rogue Leader/Battle For Naboo are very similar in controlling to Starfighter. The only difference is Starfighter defaults to a 1st person perspective and has cinema scenes involving the characters out of their ships or in their cockpits, while the Rogue/Naboo games default to a 3rd person, behind the shop perspective and has cinema scenes focusing on just starships and/or ground troops with the story told through voice-overs rather than animated characters. But once you switch to a third person view on Starfighter, its pretty much the same controlling as Rogue games (slightly different but almost the same) during the actual levels.

15. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Hehe... I always switch to inside view when playing Rogue Squad. :D

16. Anakin1607

Anakin1607 Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    I still get nightmares from those damn Sathanas class Juggernaughts. It sucks that the serries ended on a clifhanger but oh well. Shivans gone, portal to earth restored, all in a days work. :)

Same thing happened to WC, I was all pumped after the WC expansion to go take the battle to the bugs and then, *poof* the games disapeared.

Ahh... this is buming me out, I'm going to go get my VCR ready for the Ep II trailer tonight.

17. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    What also sucked was the last book of the wing commander novel series ended on a cliff hanger note, but for those read it who want to know, what would have happened if the last book of the trilogy had been released here's the summery that the author was so kind to have given out to the fans(from wing commander CIC):

Wing Commander
    Pilgrim Truth

(Continuity Novel #2)

Synopsis by Peter Telep

Prologue:

Begin in 2654, on a planet in the Promise system, a planet occupied by Pilgrims. An old man sits on his porch, with his seven-year-old grandson balanced on his knee. They stare up at the night sky, and the old man begins telling the boy about the first Pilgrims to explore the stars nearly 350 years ago, then the scene switches to--

Ivar Chu McDaniel (philosopher and lay-preacher) on a Pilgrim ?sloship,? taking 1200 of his people out to the Sirius system in a ?final exodus,? circa 2311. A quavering blue light encompasses their ship, and the Pilgrims vanish, leaving behind one man who had been flying scout.

Back to the old man and boy. ?So they just disappeared, grandpa?? The old man shakes his head. ?They went to a far better place. And some day, you and I will meet them.?

Chapter 1:
    Behind the walls of a Pilgrim ?safe camp? on Mars, Karista Mullens (the woman who is Blair?s natural pair from the previous book), contemplates her escape, along with several other Pilgrims. Karista has an extrakinetic ability (a highly sensitive and powerful form of telekinesis illustrated in the previous book) but resists using it because of the strain it places on her. During a discussion with several others of the ?protected? (think of the Japanese in the US during W.W.II), she experiences a vision: a blue sea that engulfs the stars. She feels drawn to the sea; there?s a powerful scent in the air, not unlike pine or jasmine; and she can hear thousands of voices carried on a breeze--though she can?t understand what they?re saying...

...and neither can Lieutenant Christopher Blair, who has just experienced the same vision while flying his Rapier fighter. The carrier Tiger Claw is at the Pilgrim enclave of Triune to enforce a no-fly zone and to supply fighter support against Pilgrims who have stolen commercial transports. Blair?s wingman, Todd ?Maniac? Marshall, saves Blair from an attack and wants to know why Blair ?blacked out.? Blair won?t answer. He?s having trouble contending with the explanation himself, but he?s deeply reminded of a moment from his childhood, a visit to his mother?s grave on his homeworld of Nephele. On that day he was first given his mother?s Pilgrim cross, and he realizes that back then he had a similar vision, though he hasn?t remembered it until now.

Chapter 2:
    On board the Concordia, Admiral Geoffrey Tolwyn and Commodore Richard Bellegarde discuss the latest status on the hunt for the Olympus (a supercruiser taken over by her former captain, Amity Aristee, who turned out to be a Pilgrim). During the conversation, the two officers view more holos of atrocities at Pilgrim systems, enclaves, and ?safe camps.? Tolwyn believes that Aristee won?t return the ship, and the best way to draw her into a trap is to destroy all Pilgrim systems and enclaves on his original date: 158. Space Marshal Gregarov still won?t endorse that order, and the senate is ready to call for Tolwyn?s dismissal for going behind their backs in the first place. Gregarov has saved Tolwyn?s job--in exchange for him keeping it quiet that she was the one who actually allowed Amity Aristee and her Pilgrims to build the hopper drive. Gregarov thought she could seize the drive before Aristee could begin operating it. Tolwyn tells the space marshal that they can?t afford to maintain the no-fly zones indefinitely and that a decision must be made.

Vukar and Makorshk (the Kilrathi admiral and tactical officer from the pervious book) continue debating whether they should return to the Kilrathi homeworld of Kilrah. They failed to bring back the Pilgrim supercruiser (in the previous book). If they don?t ret

18. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    Even the capital ships are better in WC. Carriers have almost weaponary, but have fighters. Battle ships are the oppsite. You can see some meaning to putting together fleets. SW is just super big ship after super big ship. Why even bother with Blockad runners or Lancers?

19. Xanakh

Xanakh Jedi Grand Master star 1

Mar 1, 2002
    Hell yes a prequel-era novel series like XWRS would be cool. I'm getting a bit sick of Jedi myself though.. I'd like just a plain, seat-of-your-pants regular pilot schmuck unit getting thrown into this Clone War they never really understood or had anything to do with, and how they deal with that throughout. Naboo is getting done to death too.. who cares about N-1 fighters and their pussy pilots?
    It's been said a million times before, but a TIE Fighter squadron series will always be the coolest prospect, even if its never gonna happen. Just imagine it.. Imperial pilots, those brainwashed killing machines, going about their grisly duty. Then one pilot, our Imperial Corran Horn if you will, begins to think for himself. That squadron will never be the same. It would be cool :p

20. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    What was cool in Freespace 2 and then Starlancer was that the cap ships were actually firing at each other with BIG guns. :D

And I was rather disappointed by WCP Secret Ops missions... :( You can say what you want, but the FMV sequences really enhanced the experience...

21. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "And I was rather disappointed by WCP Secret Ops missions... You can say what you want, but the FMV sequences really enhanced the experience..."

At least one more Wing Commander story is better than one less wing commander story, :(.

22. jaeger

Dec 10, 2001
    ya, I was hoping we'd get a new series based on Casey.

23. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    Indeed. :D

Hey, I heard Chrissie's gonna do a WingCom TV series, BTW...

24. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    Indeed, too much good information for one night. Wing Commander, :D, hopefull it fits in WC games continuity, :D.

25. PrinceXizor

Jul 4, 2001
    "Too much good info for one night."

Hehe... 4:45AM... And I start school at 10:00AM... I guess I'm not gonna sleep till then... :D Trailer, HolonetNews, too much absolute coolness tonight.

EDIT : BTW, the WC series should be produced by Chris' company, Point of No Return Film... If you wanna search info on the net about it... :D

For the moment, I'm not. :) Too much new SW to assimilate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.