main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you like a young Luke Skywalker spin-off series?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by SatineNaberrie, Apr 5, 2015.

?

Would you like a young Luke Skywalker spin-off series?

1. Yes

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  2. No

36 vote(s)
    78.3%
  3. Undecided

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    You joke, but even his grandmother(Shmi) abducted picking mushrooms for the vaporator, and what was it 30 men that went out for her rescue and only 4 survived the Tuskens and Cliegg lost his leg. Tatooine is like the American Old West(Wild West or the Wild Wild West if you prefer)combined with Bourrough's Mars and Hubert's Dune.

2. Jedi Knight Fett

Jedi Knight Fett Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2014
    It is and that's why its intresting.

3. Toonimator

Toonimator Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2006
    Why would Vader learn about the Lars family raising a kid named Skywalker? When he became Vader, Anakin cut his old ties... hell, he probably cut ties to Tatooine the moment he left in AOTC. His mom was buried; what did he care about a stepdad and stepbrother he'd only just met and had no idea about prior to those events? That chapter of his life was done, and he hated Tatooine--he went back in search of information about the boy in the comics after the events of Yavin, but that's because he was now curious. He knew Kenobi had arrived on the freighter that escaped Mos Eisley, in the company of droids who had the stolen plans, so there was now a Tatooine connection to investigate. Before that? It was a world full of painful memories with 'family' he didn't even know or have reason to care about.

While Luke living with the Skywalker name is still problematic, as Anakin & Obi-Wan were among the most well-known "heroes of the Republic" during the war, so even locals may have heard of them, it's a big galaxy and the war was pretty far away. Luke was raised on lies about his father's role in life and, presumably, his fate... we have no idea what tales were told to him of his mother. While he may have been curious, if he was raised happily believing his father was a navigator on a spice freighter, there'd be no reason to question the locals much, and in a galaxy of trillions even those who may have heard of the Jedi Hero/Traitor/Whatever Anakin Skywalker, they may not have made the connection, figuring Luke just had the same surname. Jedi weren't supposed to have kids, after all (if the locals would even know that much), and if some local brought it up, it could easily have gone in such a way where the name "Anakin" was never mentioned. "Hey, Luke... your dad wasn't a Jedi Knight, was he?" "What? No, my dad was a navigator on a spice freighter." "Oh, okay. Just curious. There was a Jedi I heard of once, called 'Skywalker'. He turned traitor along with the rest of them. But I've met a dozen guys named Antilles, and none were related. What a galaxy. So, you gonna just stand there ogling the power converters, or are you gonna buy some?"

Vader learning of the Lars family raising a Skywalker would be about as likely as Vader learning of any random farm family on some Outer Rim world raising a kid that wasn't their own, and I imagine Owen & Ben saw to it that Luke's life was dull and kept very, very local. Probably didn't get all that many visitors out Anchorhead way, let alone to the farm, and with Luke kept on a short leash he wouldn't be making much of a name for himself outside of piloting his Skyhopper with his friends... podracing would be out. Anything that could give him notoriety beyond the locals would be out. His early life is best left unexplored, or risk temptation of injecting too much excitement into it.

Iron_lord likes this.
  4. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    Why wouldnt he?! Surely the Empire has spies on Tatooine. The Skywalker surname isnt exactly remaining safely anonymous, even from people who knew of Anakin the Jedi or Podracer, word gets around. Maybe for same reason why he asked Sidious if Padme(and the unborn babies) were safe back in ROTS and he didnt initially(and likely not fully actually ) believe he killed her but he was badly damaged(mind also disoriented) waking up in the hospital with only his new masters word to go on. For the same reason why he takes a particular personal interest in the X-Wing pilot that destroyed the Death Star(in a manner similar to how he himself once destroyed a Trade Federation Ship during the Battle of Naboo), same reason why he's curious and suspects the Emperor lied to him about killing Padme(and thus his own kids). Padme herself said there was still good in Anakin even after all he did in ROTS(and this was held true into the OT movies so he's not at all fully drained of good even Vader is driven by anger(darkside)and thus denies it because of it). Just cause Vader denies his former self, doesnt mean he has dementia and Alzheimers.

5. jabberwalkie

jabberwalkie Jedi Master star 4

Dec 2, 2014
    Not this discussion again. There is no indication of how widespread or common surnames (family names) are in the SWU. For instance, Skywalker could be as common as Smith, Williams, or Brown is in the United States. On the flip side, it could be an extremely rare surname. About the only surname that I can think of off the top of my head that has shown up with different characters is Antilles.

Lady_Skywalker87 and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Even if the Empire had spies on Tatooine, why would the be out near Anchorhead? Why would they check in on his barely-known stepbrother?

Vader gets curious about the pilot who destroyed the Death Star for good reason--the kid blew up the Death Star! And Vader felt the Force within him! But Vader was told Padme died, as did her child... so there is no reason for him to suspect there's a child out there before learning more about that pilot. There is no reason for Imperial spies to think anything strange about some moisture farmers out in the boonies raising a kid named Skywalker, since it's a big galaxy. Even if they knew of Anakin Skywalker, they wouldn't assume this kid was related to him, and they likely had no idea that Anakin hails from Tatooine in the first place. Even if some did discover that the Lars fam were raising a Skywalker, and it was reported in such a way that "Lars" and "Skywalker" were linked together, the odds of it making it far enough up the chain to reach Vader's ears are astronomical. Only a tiny number of people know that Anakin Skywalker & Darth Vader are the same person, and either Luke or his aunt & uncle would have to cause a mighty ruckus for anything they do to be worth commenting on to anyone important, let alone to the Emperor's right-hand man.

TheOneX_Eleazar likes this.
  7. Ancient Whills

Ancient Whills Force Ghost star 6

Jun 12, 2011
  8. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014

That was one example and I already am aware of all of that and just mentioned it before. There is no way to tell one way or the other, but Skywalker does not appear to belong to any other character cept for the mediate family. And it does not change the fact that Anakin was well known on Tatooine as he was a famous podracer and it was no secret Shmi was sold to Lars . Not really hard to go do some amateur or professional investigative work, Vader could've sent an errand boy there and located Luke. Darth Maul found Jinn and Padme's ship within hours by just using probe droids(tools which would be used to locate the Rebel base by Vader in ESB but on a broader scale yet same principal ). Shmi and Anakin were pretty known faces due to Anakin's podracing and they were once owned by a Hutt. Anakin as a Jedi also returned to Tatooine and rescued Stinky the Hutt , among other things. Tatooine still receives Halonet news and people pass through that planet for a variety of different reasons(most have to with criminal activity and also used by spies). Tatooine is simply not backwater planet, otherwise they wouldnt keep returning back to it and two characters whose story the saga belongs to wouldnt be from there.

9. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Tatooine is definitely a backwater planet, despite Lucas and other creators' addiction to returning to it, and Anchorhead is a backwater town. Anakin won a single podrace, and then left, never to be seen again in that respect. His fame in winning the Boonta Eve Classic was fleeting, and most of the crowd probably just remembered a little human kid winning against all odds and promptly forgot him when the following year's race introduced a new champion. He went back to Tatooine as a Jedi a couple times, talked to Watto and his stepfamily, did whatever in pursuit of Rotta and what not but that was in dealing with Jabba, who mostly did business in Mos Eisley and his own palace--Jabba has no connections to Anchorhead, Jabba has no reason to show interest in the Lars family. Also, Tatooine is a planet; Luke lived on a single farm near a small town way out in the boonies of that planet. If Imperial spies showed up on Earth, in California, how are they gonna hear about a kid who won a race decades ago over in rural China? How are they gonna connect that kid's somewhat-unique surname to another kid living on a farm in rural Russia? How are they gonna connect either to Darth Vader, the Emperor's enforcer?

But most importantly, "Vader could've sent an errand boy there and located Luke"...why would he? He doesn't know Luke exists in ANH. At all. By the end of the film, he knows about a pilot. Then he meets him, and learns for a fact that the kid had a connection to Obi-Wan. That tips him off to something being fishy, but by then Luke's long gone from Tatooine, and Vader's old stepbrother is dead.

There's no reason for Vader to ever learn about Luke before ANH, regardless of the name the kid was raised with.

10. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    According to Lucas it is...

From 0:43. I'm sorry I couldn't find a video with better quality.

11. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    So if it's common, why would Vader even give it a second thought? Lol

Lady_Skywalker87 and Toonimator like this.
  12. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008
    "The Force is strong with one" -Vader :p He may have been after Luke purely do to his raw ability at first in this context

13. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    That's the point. He has no idea this guy's name is Skywalker at all, until sometime after ANH. Now, even if Skywalker's an exceptionally common name in the galaxy (doesn't mean we'd encounter unrelated Skywalkers in the movies, tho--we see very few people compared to the trillions who live in the GFFA), it doesn't mean Vader is still clueless about Luke's parentage when the Emperor calls him in ESB... I still prefer to think he's playing dumb for Palpatine's benefit, and has known Luke is his son for awhile. Still dislike Sheev feeding him the "search your feelings, you know it to be true" line that he spits back to Luke a half hour later... [face_plain]

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  14. Vorax

Jun 10, 2014
    There no evidence/examples of any other Skywalkers in the Lucas' SW galaxy, like you could use like with say Antilles . Lucas' logic runs into trouble for reasons I had already mentioned and threaded upon before. How many Skywalker's would there be on Tatooine(as humans are not native to that planet), which you guys so repetitively regurgitate is some backwater planet, so whats the population of humans and how may on this near barren planet inside or outside of major cities could be conveniently carrying the same surname, even if there is other Skywalkers some would logically have to also be his relatives and could belong to some kinda clan - if that is even the case some would reasonably even be Force sensitives as we now the Force is genetic and he was conceived solely by Shimi alone with the Force. That alone could send Vader looking for force sensitives as that is part of his job and the Inquisitors to locate Force sensitives to recruit them or kill them. And we know siblings can be Force sensitive and it can be passed on through the family even outside the Skywalker family. Furthermore how many Skywalker's could there be living at the Lars family homestead , so all a coincidence even with a grave outside, people knew Shmi married a Lars, Watto and Sebulba, the Hutts. Luke knew something about his, the Lars family never hid is birth name and knew his father and his name and something about him(that he was a Jedi). For added protection from SITH LORDS Kenobi just does not bother to inform the Lars family to actually adopt the child as their own under a Lars name and not a Skwyalker like the Organa's, so just left to chance. Not only is Kenobi not going a good job protecting the boy, he's also endangering the Lars family by not doing something so simple and common sensical. Makes very little reasonable or logical sense I am afraid.

So everything just magically coincidently vanishes and an entire civilization( which can't be very big as they all most know eachther there and come into town for supplies ect) just be overcome with mass amnesia. And it would be in Vader's interest to investigate a possible relative, as the Lars were not blood relatives nor did Shimi produce a child with Cliegg and that child be a Lars besides.

Tatooine is not a simple brush off , am sure some of you would like to think so out've your own opinions but that is not so . As TPM and the Special Editions did something right in creating a Mos Eisely and Mos Espa that were major cities and thriving important spaceports(one that which they cut back to in the SE version of ROTJ) and not simply the gas station out in the desert for those of us who first saw it in the original release of Star Wars way back when. Anakin and Luke weren't simply born in the backwater.

15. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    Mos Eisley was a big spaceport, sure... but did Luke live in Mos Eisley? No. Had he ever been to Mos Eisley? ANH implies he had not, via Ben.

There is no reason anyone in Anchorhead should have for knowing all that much about Luke's heritage. Owen & Beru may have even spun a story around it, that Shmi's son, Luke's father, was another guy...not the famous Jedi Anakin Skywalker. They lived out in the middle of nowhere, and probably raised Luke to say the right things so nobody would ask the wrong questions. Watto knew where Shmi went...so what? After learning that she died--if he ever did learn that--what use would he have for keeping tabs on the Lars family? None. Sebulba hated that little human kid, sure... but what use had he for the kid's mom, or her new family? None. The Hutts are businessslugs. What use have they for a moisture farmer out in the wastelands? None. Luke was a kid, and only locally known as a good pilot--why should that news ever get back to Sebulba (who may not even hang around Tatooine after his humiliating defeat), or Jabba, or Watto?

Tatooine may be sparsely populated, but it's still a planet, and there's no indication the settlements are closely packed together. When Owen & Beru have to go into town for supplies, they go into Anchorhead. When folks in Anchorhead go elsewhere to stock up, or sell their wares, or even travel off world, they probably don't yammer about Wormie back in Anchorhead running around with the other kids.

Luke lives in a backwater town, on a backwater world...that's how it was always meant to be. The Empire and the Hutts have better things to do than keep tabs on every single peasant out in the boonies.

16. Thuro

Thuro Jedi Master star 4

Nov 7, 2013
    Just reading a few posts and the OP all I can say is I really don't want this. It would excruciatingly boring.

17. Lady_Skywalker87

Aug 4, 2008

Agreed. I've always believed that myself. That doesn't make another scenario as to why Vader was looking for Luke in the first place invalid.. anyhow I think I miss read jabberwalkie's post.

18. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    Ahem. Herbert's Dune. [face_shame_on_you]

;)

Toonimator likes this.
  19. jabberwalkie

Dec 2, 2014
    I don't think so, your post with the video interview by Stewart with Lucas makes it pretty clear that Lucas considered the surname of Skywalker to be pretty common which supports that position you emphasized. My point was that in canon there isn't any confirmation one way or the other through example.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  20. TCF-1138

TCF-1138 Anthology/Fan Films/NSA Mod & Ewok Enthusiast star 6 Staff Member Manager

Sep 20, 2002
    I kinda hate the idea of Skywalker being a common name. It's just... wrong. Imagine if we got new characters named Skywalker, but they have no relation with Luke. It would cheapen the name.

21. Toonimator

Aug 16, 2006
    On that, I agree... but still, it could be more common than "one kid in all the galaxy" and still be pretty rare (just like how people think someone saying "The Jedi are extinct" means there can't be a few dozen still kicking around the galaxy... people have trouble grasping the scale of things--4,000 Skywalkers isn't even a drop in the bucket of the galactic population, and Lucasfilm could tell thousands of stories set in the GFFA without one of those other Skywalkers turning up as characters we actually meet--but Vader hearing about them and not going off to investigate? That shouldn't be an issue at all; I know of people around the world with my fairly-uncommon surname, but I haven't sought any out, as they'd be distant relations at best). The important thing to remember is, as far as Vader knew, Padme and her child (he didn't know there were twins) were dead. Vader had absolutely zero reason to have people track down Skywalkers, or review reports about his step-family.

jakobitis89 and Iron_lord like this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Sure, why not?

23. Mojo120

Mojo120 Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2014
    Luke's not a hero or really anything more than a teenager with some dreams until ANH so not much story to tell, and honestly id get bored of Tatooine pretty fast. So no.

Toonimator likes this.
  24. Cheerios4u98

Cheerios4u98 Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 4, 2015
    I'd rather see a post-ROTJ Luke-centric TV series that fills in part of the gap between the OT and The Force Awakens. Anything with Luke set before Return of the Jedi frankly doesn't interest me.

25. TheOneX_Eleazar

TheOneX_Eleazar Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 24, 2013
    I think you are coming at this from too much of a 20/20 hindsight perspective. As of ROTS both Vader and Sidious KNEW Anakin's children were dead. They had no reason to look for his offspring as there was no reason to believe they lived. Some kid with the Skywalker name on a farm is not going to get much interest if all he does is farm and other typical teenage stuff. There is nothing particularly spectacular about Luke prior to ANH therefore he would not have caught anyone's eye. There is simply no reason for Vader or Sidious to use their resources to search for someone they believed to be dead, and had no reason not to believe them to be dead.

Toonimator and TigerCraneFist like this.