main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Would you like to see a Star wars movie happening like ~400-500 years before TPM ?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by mihaitzateo, Apr 19, 2016.

?

Would like to see a Star wars movie happening like ~400-500 years before TPM

1. yes

20 vote(s)
    80.0%
  2. maybe

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  3. no

2 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. something else

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. mihaitzateo

mihaitzateo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 5, 2015
    Would you like to see a Star wars movie happening like ~400-500 years before TPM ?

2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Sure. Something like Firefly perhaps?

Sarge likes this.
  3. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    Sure, if it's a good movie.

Kenneth Morgan and -Jedi Joe- like this.
  4. Dandelo

Dandelo SW and Film Music Interview Host star 10 VIP - Game Host

Aug 25, 2014
  5. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    To quote Boba: "Yep."

6. ChefCurryWindu

ChefCurryWindu Jedi Master star 2

Dec 18, 2015
    Yes, and we might be able to see Yoda in his prime.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    No.

They will either make it exactly with the same technology as the current timeframe, thus making the timeline distance completely irrelevant and pathetic, or introduce ridiculous concepts like metal swords vs lightsabers.

Or even worse: they'll do both.

8. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    So people call for new stuff, yet when they get it, they don't like it.

Dandelo, -Jedi Joe- and Sarge like this.
  9. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    By 'people', do you mean me? I didn't call for anything, definitely not something set hundreds or thousands of years before/after the movies.

10. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Just something I've noticed the detractors of TFA saying. They hate the same stuff in TFA yet when they get new stuff (heard people disliking the new stuff in E8 filming too) they complain. Can't wain.

It expands the SW universe away from the Skywalkers, which you and others want, yet you don't want it?

11. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I never made any comment regarding my preferences on expanding the universe away from the Skywalkers. Not sure what you're arguing.

12. {Quantum/MIDI}

{Quantum/MIDI} Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2015

Brotha, lets not start a TFA fans vs Detractors debate.

13. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    Yep, I'd be down for this. I'd like something even further back than 500 years.

14. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    I'm all for a Yoda movie! I'd stay away from his origins, though. Even to GL, they're a mystery. Let's honor Yoda by keeping it that way!

DarthKreVass likes this.
  15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I wouldn't object to a Yoda origin story, personally. Even if it's just "was handed over to the Temple as a baby" - it would be interesting to see his home planet and culture.

Dandelo likes this.
  16. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    A Yoda story has been a long-standing rumour, perhaps animated - I agree that it shouldn't delve into his origins (GL never developed any, he was a replacement for Obi-Wan in ESB), but if it was set 400-500 years BBY, he'd be 300-400 years old by then anyway.

So why bother? Well, it could address definitively the mystery of how he discovered that the Sith were still around...

Erkan12 likes this.
  17. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    This would be the a fantastic idea! I would personally like to see a Star Wars movie that was set so far back in time, which would make the dynamics totally different. Perhaps 2000 years in the past, we would have ferocious battles between many Sith lords and Jedi masters. It would be unlike anything we've seen. The thought of many Sith fighting as one is truly brilliant. :)

Lulu Mars and corinthia like this.
  18. Darth Formidious

Darth Formidious Jedi Master star 4

Dec 19, 2015
    But the Sith were believed to be extinct for a millennia. I doubt Yoda discovered they were still around, it was only the emergence of Darth Maul that proved the Sith existed. He was, however, knowledgeable about the rule of two.

19. Straudenbecker

Straudenbecker Jedi Master star 3

Nov 22, 2015
    I would like to see a movie done right, no Siths shown, just that a mysterious supporter or benefactor plays a big part in the story in a minor conflict in the Republic on a planet.

20. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

That's my point - Yoda did discover that they were still around, or believed they were. The Sith were all but wiped out a thousand years prior to TPM, believed to have been destroyed, but survived in the shadows by the Rule of Two, biding their time. The Rule of Two didn't exist prior to their defeat, it was devised by Darth Bane as a method of survival - to prevent the in-fighting and pointless betrayal which led to their defeat in the first place.
    It was, however, a secret, as was the very survival of the Sith.

--George Lucas to Bill Moyers Time Magazine Interview; 1999.

--Star Wars Insider, issue 78; page 60

(To clarify, GL quickly retconned the "thousands of years" mentioned in the first quote to the one thousand years prior to TPM)

Just how Yoda knew of this has only ever been a vague, obscure bit of old EU material (IIRC, it was information recounted to the Jedi during the interim by someone who had gone insane, and was, therefore, considered dubious) - a proper telling could certainly provide a storyline for a Yoda-focused film set during what was otherwise an unremarkable period of galactic history.

21. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012

And the newcanon has taken the approach that while the Sith were "apparently destroyed" 1000 years before, they were active long before that.

Tarkin novel has the Sith having constructed a shrine (over which the Jedi temple now is) 5000+ years before ANH.

"Alert me when the ship makes planetfall on Murkhana," Sidious said.
    The droid bowed its head. "I will, Your Majesty."
    The two of them were in Sidious's lair, a small rock-walled enclosure beneath the deepest of the Palace's several sub levels that had once been an ancient Sith shrine. That the Jedi had raised their Temple over the shrine had for a thousand years been one of the most closely guarded secrets of those Sith Lords who had perpetuated and implemented the revenge strategy of the Jedi Order's founders. Even the most powerful of Dark Side Adepts believed that shrines of the sort existed only on Sith worlds remote from Coruscant, and even the most powerful of the Jedi believed that the power inherent in the shrine had been neutralized and successfully capped. In truth, that power had seeped upward and outward since its entombment, infiltrating the hallways and rooms above, and weakening the Jedi Order much as the Sith Masters had secretly infiltrated the corridors of political power and toppled the Republic.
    Save for Sidious, no sentient being in close to five thousand years had set foot in the shrine. The room's excavation and and restoration had been carried out by machines under the supervision of 11-4D.

22. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    Star Wars Legends treats the rule of two as a secret. AFAIK, Star Wars Canon does not.

23. DarthAnakin96

DarthAnakin96 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 5, 2016
    I would, maybe they could do something like how Darth Bane made the Rule of Two, and the fall of the Sith. Though, that might be a bit earlier than 400-500 years before TPM.

Valiowk likes this.
  24. Darthman92

Darthman92 Force Ghost star 6

Feb 24, 2016
    I'd be interested in seeing what could be done with it.