main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Would You Like to See Enemy Droids Again?

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Death_Jar_Jar, May 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Death_Jar_Jar

Death_Jar_Jar Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 30, 2014
    That is, as the main type of enemy infantry.

I think the idea of having some droids as enemies is cool, but in the PT they weren't nearly as cool and intimidating as storm troopers. The storm troopers had bad aim, but at least they were intimidating enough that the heroes had to run away from them and try to avoid confrontations most of the time. There was also something about storm troopers being human that made battles more intense.

These were kind of cool. I wouldn't mind seeing some enemies similar to this.

[​IMG]

These were boring and dumb (though they looked cool). The jedi sliced them up like they were nothing and I would not want to see another enemy as dumb as these ever again.

[​IMG]

If they can make the droids really intimidating, then I wouldn't mind them being the main type of enemy infantry.

Palpatine77, kubricklynch and Sarge like this.
  2. T-R-

T-R- Chosen One star 5

Aug 13, 2003
    if the droids we IG-88 style, heck yeah

3. Django Fett

Django Fett Force Ghost star 5

Nov 7, 2012
    With the technology now they could do IG-88 and bring him to life, may be they'll keep IG-88 for the Boba Fett spin off film?

4. Summers1913

Summers1913 Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2014
    I don't care if its droids or troopers. I just want them to be competent.

5. Randwulf Crescentmoon

Randwulf Crescentmoon Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2013
    They were cool, but what I would prefer are droids of the Highsinger (TCW), IG-88 and HK-47 (depending on canon role KoTOR still plays) mold. Intellectually superior, adaptable and primed for unadulterated mayhem.

6. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    No.

This is a purely subjective opinion but I never liked them all that much. Troopers are always way cooler than droid armies.

7. Grand_Moff_Jawa

Grand_Moff_Jawa Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 31, 2001
    One of the things I hated most about the prequels were the stupid battle droids. Roger, Roger! Makes me cringe.

8. vinsanity

vinsanity Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2013
    I always liked the droidekas and those Battle droids (except when they talk in ROTS) but I believe they won't return, I hope they bring back these fellas:

[​IMG]

9. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I recently reread Han Solo and the Lost Legacy, so I'd like to see big scary dangerous droids like the war robots of Xim the Despot.

10. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    Andy Serkis doing the CGI animation and voice of IG-88.

T-R- likes this.
  11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as they aren't the regular Battle Droids.

thejeditraitor, Revanfan1 and Ryus like this.
  12. Tensionhead

Tensionhead Jedi Master star 1

Feb 7, 2005
    YVH bodyguards, without the terminator faces.

13. Dewback

Dewback Force Ghost star 4

Jul 18, 1998
    I wanna see Lando put down Vuffi Raa Old Yeller style.

Sarge likes this.
  14. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Never really understood why the robot soldiers in the PT were programmed to be imbeciles?

15. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    The Jango Troopers turned me off of the whole trooper idea. If not all clone warriors, then yeah, I would love to see them back in VII too.

Although, what I would really like to see are Terminator-style, cyber troopers... appearances would stay varied, abilities increased and bionics displayed after wounds are inflicted or through other such means. Dunno... but there is just a certain je ne sais quoi that makes robotic life-forms awesome, in my opinion. With stuff like nanotech, drones, cyborgs, etc. it seems Star Wars has only just scratched the surface of their potential.

16. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Fear of a droid revolt. It's stated in the TPM commentary.

17. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Ok let me get my head around this. Palpatine had order 66 implants put into the clone army, but couldn't just put a simple off switch into the droid army?

Shoddy work George

TKT, Hernalt, kubricklynch and 4 others like this.
  18. MrElculver2424

MrElculver2424 Jedi Master star 4

May 11, 2014
    Droid enemies are always a great addition. Although I don't think they should be the main enemy. The main enemy should be a more human-like Sith Lord(s). I say human-like because it would be OK if it were a Muun (Darth Plagueis) or some other species. But a living, breathing body.

I thought the droids in Episodes II and III were pretty good, even though they were pretty useless.

JJ Abrams and his team can do it right by incorporating some major droid enemies that are intimidating and forceful into Episode VII.

19. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    It's the Trade Federation who fears a droid revolt, not Palpatine. Palpatine has nothing to gain from having the Trade Federation build better battle droids.

Bob Octa and thejeditraitor like this.
  20. Ryus

Ryus Jedi Master star 4

Feb 25, 2013
    If we get a droid fighting the main cast I want it to be an amazing assassin droid that seriously adds to the tension (like a mini boss to give us a good tension moment while we head towards the climax), or a droid who can make even Jedi choose to avoid that fight since its just not worth the insane risk factor (like droidekas on steroids). Or someother new type of droid that is unique and can attack the cast in non-conventional ways (for the omg i never thought of that moment) and isn't a moron tactically (and the cast defeats it wisely or gets captured by it cause its that badass). In both cases use them sparingly, warrior droids to not come off as prequal copies should be used sparringly to maximize their effect. In this case quality in the ST vs the PTs quantity droid armies where some where decent but none of them where mindblowing. If you make awesome droids it, in a way, elevates the idea of the prequal driod armies and makes OT only fans want them again (just applied better).

However, I'd prefer human and alien opponents for the common enemy and not morons either, treat them compitantly.

Now I wouldn't mind a droid guard who's purpose is to lose to draw opponents into a trap, or a droid with an explosive stapped to it charging the cast forcing them to flee (and not getting force thrown back at its sender). In both cases that's just a compitant commander using an expendable resource used wisely.

Death_Jar_Jar likes this.
  21. TheBBP

TheBBP Force Ghost star 6

Nov 6, 2012
    I am all droid'd out.

22. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    The trooper archetype is an integral part of the SW universe. As a "trooper" I count a living being in a suit of armor, for whichever side he fights. I may be venturing into the Overanalysis Zone here but the fact that it's an actual person in that armor is what makes it work. Not just going in the direction "even that stormtrooper has a family" or "maybe he's a good guy just on the wrong side of the war". That is an interesting way to go, yes, but even in more basic aspects it's crucial to have a trooper be a living being.

The way they react to situations they are in. However intense and tough their training may be, they will still try to take cover, make some sort of maneouver. Their movements are real, you can tell that there's a person in that suit. The details that always amuse me, the guy who's checking to see if his comrades are alive just before Vader stomps onto Tantive IV in ANH. Two guys who chat about that new VT-16. The gestures they make during combat, their chatter, barking of orders. Everything that seems so irrelevant is what gives weight to these characters, because troopers are characters in Star Wars - very important and very recognizable ones. All of this gives an impression of a real army filled with real people.

Opposite that - we have the droids. They just walk and die by the dozens. They are, simply put, not interesting to watch. They are machines, not very bright ones, built en masse to just get blasted and hopefully hit something as they go out. They are just plain boring compared to living troopers.

23. Randwulf Crescentmoon

May 25, 2013
    True enough... but a droids' worth is dependent upon presentation, and the person through which we view the story. For example, a droid may be able to learn feelings of pain, emotions, etc. and therefore become more relatable to us, which in reality is actually possible, or a droid such a C-3PO may get killed, and well... that would be devastating to a viewer invested in the production... that is my take on it, anyway.

24. The Hellhammer

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, but comparing 3PO's death to a battle droid dying is like comparing Han dying to that poor rebel who gets blasted the moment the stormies burst onto the corvette.

I'm not saying that droids can't be relateable or well developed characters, it's just that as far as the armies are concerned the trooper archetype is way more effective in all ways than a droid ever could be. I doubt anyone would go to the trouble of setting up battle droids as having feelings of any sort. Besides, having a fighting droid with emotions kind of makes them even more useless than they already are :p

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  25. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel Modercreeper Is Always Watching star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Agreed, but I wouldn't want an army. Just IG-88 or something like that.

TKT and Ganger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.