main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Would you like to see one director for the entire trilogy? Or different ones like the OT

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DV75, Nov 14, 2012.

1. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Depends on how the first does. If he does well, keep him. If he screws it up, dump him.

Echo-07 likes this.
  2. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    The advantage to multiple directors is possible shorter production time. If Kasdan & Kinberg are writing the scripts to 8 & 9 then a director could get into Preproduction before Ep. 7 is released. We could get the ST films every 2 years. Example: The Harry Potter films. 8 films in 10 years, and they got better as they went along.

3. metr0man

metr0man Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 13, 2012
    Different directors... with the same writers.

It's really important that these be "story first" movies.

Plus one of the appeals of a post-Lucas Star Wars is seeing other directors' take. JJ Abrams is fine for 7. I'd love to see (all rumored at various points) Joss Whedon, Ben Affleck, David Fincher (!), and others take it on.

Vale Man likes this.
  4. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    "Volcano" wasn't CGI, it was primarily a large miniature, with real lava composited in.

DarthBrian likes this.
  5. Disciple-of-Tython

Disciple-of-Tython Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 12, 2006
    If Abram's film is great then why not keep the status quo? Although wouldn't mind this line up:

VII - J.J. Abrams

VIII - Joss Whedon

IX - Christopher Nolan

6. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Now that George isn't directing, I'd like to see different directors.

7. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I say get a new director for each and have each director be chosen cause they suit what that film needs. Like a director whose made more darker, serious films can make a second more mature SW sequel *probably Episode 8*. While I love JJ, I dont think he'll have the time to do all 3 films.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  8. DanielRJones

DanielRJones Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    Not sure if this is really the right place for it, but just had a very, very left-field idea for director of VII or IX, assuming J.J. doesn't return.

Andy Serkis. He's recognised as one of the best actors in the world when it comes to CGI heavy roles, so there's not doubt he can cope with something as CGI heavy as Wars, indeed I think he'd thrive in a production at the intersection of character and technology. He's also, as I'm sure we're all aware, gaining vital experience as 2nd unit director on The Hobbit.

Partnered with the steadying influence of a deeply experienced Kennedy, used to running massive productions, he could make something pretty special.

So I'd quite like to see:

VII: J.J. Abrams
    VIII: Andy Serkis
    IX: Joe Wright

Three guys with very different sensibilities - admittedly the last two would involve Disney going out on a limb, but I think that's what is required to revitalise the series.

9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I want to see Brad Bird direct Episode 9

10. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    When the announcement was made, we were presented with the theme of 'passing the torch to a new generation'. I'm assuming that this reflects both in the stories and the creators. I'm all for J.J.'s take, but I'd like to see others given the chance to interpret the material as well. It worked fine for the OT, after all.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Delete this comment

12. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Different, as I'm not the world's biggest Abrams fan. I'd go with:

Episode VIII - the Wachowskis
    Episode IX - Andrew Stanton

13. phatdude1138

phatdude1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2005
    I've said this in another thread (but unfortunately am too lazy to go find it), but basically Star Wars is TOO big for anyone man to handle. Case in point, the reason why Lucas handed it off to "Disney" (an entire corporation) vs just one man (or woman). I was ok with Lucas being in total control, as he was the "creator". If you are a OT only person, then you have to agree ANH was good (directed by Lucas), ESB (Irvin Kershner) and ROTJ (Richard Marquand) all were good films with different directors.

I just don't want to see Star Wars morph in to "JJ Abrams" only versions.

Here's my list (obviously JJ is in stone, but he wouldn't be my first pic)
    VII: J.J. Abrams
    VIII: Joe Johnston
    IX: Jon Favreau

14. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd personally like to see different directors for each new film, following the template of the Original Trilogy.

15. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Unless those other directors are Michael Bay and Stephen Sommers. Yikes!

Echo-07 likes this.
  16. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    Of course! There should be a "No Hacks" rule for the sequel directorships ;)

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  17. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, since we now know the first one will be by J.J. Abrams and I hate him, then I obviously want the next two to be by different directors.

phatdude1138 likes this.
  18. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Not if he's JJA :p

19. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I reckon the execs will want to see at least a rough cut of Ep 7 to see if they go with JJ Abrahams again for 8 and 9.

20. Rogue_1138

Rogue_1138 Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    There's merit to the point that using different directors could help speed up the timeline, while also avoiding relying too heavily on a single person.

Try this lineup:

VII: Abrams
    VIII: Whedon
    IX: Abrams

VIII is far enough out the Whedon could clear his schedule and be available after Avengers 2. Abrams could take some time off, perhaps do another project, and then come back for the finale.

This might strike a good balance between variety and continuity.

21. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I like the way you think. :)

22. klooney

klooney Jedi Master star 1

Jul 2, 2009
    One for each for the ST. Maybe for other SW stories have same director for 2-3 pictures here and there if appropriate.

23. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    Ben Affleck. And its Simple: When he is up on the Directos chair, we can call him Obi Wan Affleck.

24. DanielRJones

DanielRJones Jedi Padawan

Oct 31, 2012
    We have to consider what point these directors will be at in their careers by the time 2016 rolls around. I'm willing to bet that Whedon will want to move on from Marvel and work on some original big budget projects of his own. JJ will have the whole 'next Spielberg' thing at the back of his mind, and be making Oscar bait, rather than another franchise movie.

I think it'll take more than a few years for Andrew Stanton to regain enough studio trust to work on a film as commercially important as Wars, after the disaster that was John Carter of Mars. A couple of directors who spring to mind as at the right point in their careers to take on their first major franchise movie in the mid/late 2010s: Duncan Jones and Florian Henckel von Donnersmark. Marc Webb and Matthew Vaughn will probably have pretty accomplished CVs when the time comes.

25. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    I wouldn't mind seeing:

Episode VII = JJ Abrams
    Episode VIII = David Fincher
    Episode IX = Matt Vaughn

But I think it's most likely JJ gets first shot at all of them as long as they go well and there's no reason to expect they won't be HUGE successes!