main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST would you like to see Qui-Gon in either Episode VIII or IX?.

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Qui-Gon Gin, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    As my name Suggests, I am a Qui-Gon fan, I wished we had gotten more of him in Eps II and III aside from a few mentions and quick voice as he seemed to have just as good of a grip on how the force works as Yoda. It would be nice to see a scene with him explaining the living force to Rey, but am I alone in this?. Or could a scene like that blend in well with the right tones in VIII or IX?

2. nightangel

nightangel Force Ghost star 6

Oct 31, 2014
    I love Qui-Gon very much as well and more than Obi-Wan. So please an appearance would be great. :D

3. B99

B99 Force Ghost star 6

Nov 10, 2014
    Huge fan of QGG! But id rather not unless it is really needed. LOVE to see him in a Kenobi film..

4. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    He is dead.
    Answer: no

5. One Quarter Portion

One Quarter Portion Jedi Master star 2

Apr 9, 2016
    As much as I love Qui-Gon, I can't really see any good ways to write him in.

DarthIshyZ, Seeher and Qui-Gon Gin like this.
  6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes.

Yes, I would adore seeing him in another film.

No, it would not make much sense and should probably not occur.

7. Qui-Gon Gin

Qui-Gon Gin Jedi Padawan

Dec 21, 2015
    This more or less is my view. I just got tired of having it in just my head.

8. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    makes as much sense in this trilogy as Rey being a Kenobi or a random which is a deal for several people. So why should an appearance of Qui-Gon now be out of any possibility? o_O

HeadingSouth likes this.
  9. PymParticles

PymParticles Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 1, 2014
    No. I love the character, but there's no real reason for him to be in either of these movies. Everyone he's known or had a relationship to is dead.

10. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    This.^

11-4D likes this.
  11. nightangel

Oct 31, 2014
    how difficult is it for force ghost Obi-Wan to tell Luke? [face_cowboy]

12. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    In-universe? It could potentially make sense. From their steadfast belief in Anakin to their less traditional views on the Jedi, vis-a-vis Kenobi/Yoda, I think Luke and Qui-Gon share some important qualities with one another. So if, for example, Master Skywalker did indeed travel to the first Jedi Temple in search of a new Way, he might do worse than seeking counsel from someone like Jinn.

Of course, unless Luke were to travel to Mortis (if it even still exists) -- or the Story Group were to break with established canon -- Neeson could only appear as a voice.

And that plays into one of the IRL reasons it just won't happen in the ST. If there's only Skywalker and a disembodied voice in our hypothetical scene (coupled maybe with some mention of the name "Qui-Gon Jinn"), minus a ton of clunky exposition, how many in the general audience will even understand who the hell Luke is talking to, let alone why the connection between the pair may make some thematic sense? And of those who would recognize the character, how many would reflexively balk at anything "too PT"?

And then contrast this with how many regular folks would immediately grasp not only the "who," but the significance, of an appearance of a Yoda, Obi-Wan or Anakin.

That said, I adore Jinn and I'd love to see (hear) him again one day. Kudos to the "in a Kenobi stand-alone" idea.

Master_Lok likes this.
  13. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Not the ST, no. I just couldn't envisage a scenario where the story would actually call for it. We have Yoda and Obi Wan as force ghosts (and perhaps Anakin) to call on if needed. An Obi Wan spin off would perfectly suit an appearance from Qui Gonn. Stoic and completely uninspiring as he was..

Vespasian likes this.
  14. ThisHurricane

ThisHurricane Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 9, 2015
    I liked the way he appeared in TCW but no. I'd rather see Anakin or Obiwan.

15. luketheforeigner

luketheforeigner Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 16, 2016
    No he died in Episode I so yeah it would be odd to see him but a Force Ghost that is "okay"

16. plaidphoenix

plaidphoenix Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2013
    I love the character and it bummed me out they killed him off in TPM but I agree, it wouldn't make sense. In a Kenobi movie, sure but for Episodes VIII and IX, Obi-Wan, Yoda or even Anakin makes sense.

If you're going to introduce Jedi that Luke has no connection to and couldn't possibly have any legitimate reason for knowing, it should either be a survivor of Order 66 or the Force Ghost of someone dating back to the beginning of the Jedi Order.

17. sethg

sethg Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 3, 2012
    Nope. Save him for the Kenobi film.

18. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
  19. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Would I like to see him again in a SW film, absolutely.

Does it make sense for him to appear in the ST, no not really.

Luke has no connection with him, and Rey even less so. Putting him in here would just be fanservice with no actual logically reasoning behind it. Obi Wan, Yoda, and Anakin showing up, yeah you could most likely justify that in-universe. Qui Gon, no.

20. Darth Smurf

Darth Smurf Small, but Lethal star 6

Dec 22, 2015
    We already saw him in ep7
    Rey is the incarnation of Qui Gon

nightangel likes this.
  21. Vespasian

Vespasian Jedi Master star 2

Nov 1, 2012
    Looking back on the prequel trilogy, Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan (and Palpatine) were the best characters IMO.

Like others here, I would love him to return in a Kenobi Anthology film, but unless they come up with a good reason for Qui-Gon's ghost/voice to feature in the sequels, I wouldn't have him there just for the sake of it.

22. Unkar's Muffins

Unkar's Muffins Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 4, 2002
    110% YES! With qualifications...

He would be part of a group of Jedi and other Force sensitives that Rey, Leia, Luke, or Kylo would seek out or have some kind of conversation with, like Luke and Yoda did with old Obi Wan. Sort of like a force ghost council. This would be easy to accomplish, practically speaking, as it would be just one scene (2-5 minutes) and it could be filmed in a few hours. Liam Neeson is still a very popular actor, and would probably be interested in a small, but important, part in the ST.

I'd love to even see Lorr San Tekka be a force ghost alongside Qui-Gon.

But I agree, it would be hard to justify Qui-Gon at this point. He doesn't have any direct connection that we know of to any of the new characters. But then again, he doesn't have to. Just by being Qui-Gon The Friendly Ghost, would be enough for any wisdom starved Jedi-in-training to be happy to hear from him.

Honestly, the one who makes the MOST sense would be Anakin to appear. I am not getting why there is rumor that Frank Oz is taking part in Ep. VIII. Unless it's for a new character, I suspect they might be trying for a Yoda appearance, which makes less sense than an Anakin (Hayden) appearance.

HeadingSouth likes this.
  23. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    Considering how it was Yoda who told Luke to "pass on what you have learn," then Luke tried to do that, but Kylo messed it all up, and know he presumably is trying again with Rey, seeking counsel/advice from Yoda makes sense to me.

And I've always been a fan of the idea that FG's should have a connection to the people that they appear to. It's why people suggesting that say, Mace Windu, appear before Luke, isn't really appealing to me. There's no real reason for it since none of the new characters have any connection to him.

Qui Gon is a bit different since at least there's a tenuous connection via Obi Wan and Anakin. But you'd still need to justify his appearance in the film regardless, and it really isn't needed.

But him showing up in an anthology movie at some point, I'd love that.

24. JediHarter

JediHarter Jedi Master star 1

Jan 26, 2004
    I love Qui Gon but I don't feel it is necessary to have him in 8 or 9.

25. AndyLGR

AndyLGR Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 1, 2014
    He isnt needed for the ST. Maybe in a PT spin off film though.

B99 likes this.