main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Would you like Yoda to be included in Episode IV?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by march162015, Mar 31, 2015.

1. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015
    Several years ago I found a list of more possible changes to the Original Trilogy, I think this one would improve the movie the OT and the saga in general:

Darkslayer likes this.
  2. SatineNaberrie

SatineNaberrie Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2014
    No.

There's no reason to in my opinion. It's kind of random.

3. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    No, no more crappy changes. It ruins the Yoda reveal in ESB and is pointless pandering.

4. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
  5. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
  6. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, not in the least. I think Yoda is over rated already.

SatineNaberrie likes this.
  7. jakobitis89

jakobitis89 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2015
    For the same of a few seconds of a muppet making an :( face (or a CGI version thereof) we'd lose all the fun of knowing/discovering the little green troll on Dagobah was a wise master deliberately winding up Luke. Not worth it at all.

Jesse Booth likes this.
  8. cubman987

cubman987 Friendly Neighborhood Saga/Music/Fun & Games Mod star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 7, 2014
    Yeah I see no reason to include Yoda in IV. As others have said there is no good reason to include this and if you are watching the movies in the order they were released (and knew little about Star Wars) then it wouldn't make sense and would kind of ruin the surprise when Yoda reveals who he is to Luke in TESB.

Jesse Booth and SatineNaberrie like this.
  9. march162015

march162015 Jedi Youngling

Mar 16, 2015
    It is not random, from all the things that happen in the OT that's the one he would be most likely to sense

Thanks. I take that as a compliment.

He is a perfectionist

You're a Yoda hater?

10. sarlaccsaurs-rex

sarlaccsaurs-rex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    Don't triple l post dude. And yea Yoda would be pointless in Episode 4. It dosent help the OT at all. Also new PT watchers in chronological order will be happy to see Yoda again in ESB after a whole movie without him.

11. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    No Thanks. Yoda is one of my favorite characters but I think he's at his best in ESB with that more mysteries tone. Plus, they would just do that for fan appeasement or adding something just for the sake of adding it.

12. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    Yoda has no relevance to the narrative in Episode IV. He goes into hiding in Episode III, and reappears when Luke goes to find him in Episode V.

If you think this is the kind of change Lucas would ever make, I don't think you understand his style at all.

bstnsx704, oierem and Saga Explorer like this.
  13. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    I'm not overly keen on the Jedi as a whole or Yoda in particular. I would not say 'hater' but many others have accused me of several things. Matter of perception. :)

14. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    No thanks. ANH is Obi-Wan's story as the Jedi Master leading the new apprentice- Luke. A quick flash to Yoda would be out of place and makes no sense as far as the narrative of the film is concerned. Plus, there's his big reveal in ESB to maintain.

The item about Yoda from the list you posted was from 2004 when people were speculating what changes would be made for the DVD releases.

Yanksfan and MOC Yak Face like this.
  15. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    If the story was written 1-6 it would've made sense to include at least some reference to him, considering his significance in every other episode. As it is now, though, no change is needed.

Also, saying a character's over-rated doesn't constitute hatred. The term 'hater' is grossly overused around here IMHO.

16. Wookiee_Vader

Wookiee_Vader Jedi Master star 2

Aug 21, 2007
    [​IMG]

17. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001

Precisely. If the films were made 1-6, I reckon we'd have a very different Star Wars than the one we got (both PT and OT).

MOC Yak Face likes this.
  18. enigmaticjedi

enigmaticjedi Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 2, 2011
    No, I like the mystery behind Obi-Wan's line in ESTB:

Obi-Wan: "You will go to the Dagobah system."
    Luke: "Dagobah system?"
    Obi-Wan: "There you will learn from Yoda, the Jedi Master who instructed me."

Gave the audience time to speculate about Yoda as the great warrior. Then we get the funny sequence when Yoda pretends to be a goofball. Makes us think Yoda has to be someone else. Then, bam! Yoda reveals it was a subtle test of patience.

I wouldn't change that for anything.

19. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I can't see how, given he hiding on Dagobah. However, I wouldn't be against a mention.

20. DarthSheev

DarthSheev Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 9, 2015
    Yeah, it will sort of diminish TESB if Yoda appears in a ANH, if Episodes IV-VI are viewed first. I feel this is the best way to approach the saga for the first time, even though one might be naturally inclined to watch it in order. If it is done that way, then the Vader father twist and Leia sister twist are ruined.

21. sharkymcshark

sharkymcshark Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 12, 2013
    One of the best moments of ESB is how quickly Yoda goes from goofball alien to deadly serious Jedi master. He turns in an instant, and to have him in ANH would undermine that, though I suppose the idea that we're meant to watch the saga in chronological order as opposed to release order has undermined it anyway, so **** it why not.

Yanksfan and MOC Yak Face like this.
  22. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Overhater?

23. Lulu Mars

Lulu Mars Chosen One star 5

Mar 10, 2005
    If done by the Maker, in a way that actually seems relevant to ANH itself, I could go for it.
    Anything more than a brief mention would likely just seem out of place, though - but how would that be done and for what purpose?
    The only way I could possibly see it done would be to add a sequence after the destruction of the Death Star, where Vader contacts the Emperor to inform him of what's happened. During such a scene, it could be mentioned that they believe Yoda to be dead and that with the death of Kenobi, the last of the Jedi have finally been wiped from existence.
    If ANH is the first episode seen by the viewer, this scene would serve as a teaser for things to come (kind of like the post/mid-credits scenes in the Marvel movies) and if you're watching chronologically, it would feel like getting back on track with the overarching saga plot.

It's definitely not necessary and is unlikely to happen, but it's also definitely doable as long as McDiarmid and JEJ are around.

Alexrd likes this.
  24. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009
    No, definitely not. I've always really liked this line from Yoda in ROTS:

Obi-Wan's already back in the next episode, best that Yoda stays completely out of the picture for at least one instalment to keep a bit of suspense happening. Plus, as already mentioned, an appearance in SW/ANH would diminish the impact of his 'return' in ESB.

25. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Would you like Yoda to be included in Episode IV?
    Absolutely not, it's not even close to being necessary for the movie development. We all know Yoda is out there, and the anticipation to see him again is a nice. It also shows Luke's progression as Jedi to go from Obi Wan/ Ben to Yoda in the next chapter.