main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mary Would you like your very own lightsaber?

Discussion in 'NorthEast Regional Discussion' started by gh0stdevil, Sep 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gh0stdevil

gh0stdevil Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 3, 2002
    I had this nifty idea...and Darth IG-88 has agreed to help me out with it. I thought a while ago, "Wouldn't it be cool if we could have a saber-making day? We could meet up at Home Despot (sic) or Lowes, get our hardware, and then go to someone's backyard (I am volunteering), and build some sabers. =)

At any rate, Darth IG-88 has some saber designs, and there are plenty on the net (such as Big Yellow Box and others. It lists hardware on there as a checklist, and most of these sabers cost under 20 dollars each.

So, I'm offering a "Build Your Own Saber" teaching session with Darth IG-88 at my place. It will be a 2 meeting session (because we will do all the painting one day, so it will be ready the next time we meet), and it doesn't have to coincide with a regular fan force meeting.

Again, I should stress: this is NOT a regular fan force meeting...this is just some friends who wanna get together, build sabers, and whack each other with 'em. Errr...well, okay, maybe not whack each other with 'em. =P

If you'd like to participate, please let me know by E-MAILING ME (I don't check PMs that often) at gh0stdevil@warcry.com -- PLEASE let me know when is good for you (IE after the official meeting, or Sundays, or whatever).

Thanks,
    Chris

2. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    That would be great! I wish we could get a hold of some Graflex or Heiland flashguns. Anyone know of any vintage photograhpy shops around Maryland? Maybe we can scavenge some of these up somewhere. Ebay has em but they want an arm and a leg for em.

3. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Speaking of lightsabres, did everyone see this on the main page:

http://www.guerrestellari.it/slas.html

This is my favorite website when I am having a bad day.

Great idea, gh0stdevil.

BTW, Mutt works at Lowes, can he get us a discount on supplies? :D

4. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    Drk, just FYI on flashes:

It's ultra-rare that you will find any MPP's (Vader's saber), Heilands (the poor man's Vader saber), or Graflexes (ANH Luke saber) in any stores. The best place to find them is antique camera shows. But this leads me to point # 2...which is...

The antique camera community, and the lightsaber community are very "at odds" about this, so when they can, the camera folks jack prices up 200% to make a fast buck off of us...for example, the non-saber flashes go for 10, 15, 20, maybe upwards of 50 bucks.

If they find out it could be used for a lightsaber? 200...for STARTERS.

So if you see a flash you want, don't mention lightsabers. At all. And don't wear any SW t-shirts around, either. ;)

BTW -- for those that love a good hunt...Darth IG-88 and I are going to an antique camera show sometime in the coming months to hunt for some decent flashes / equipment...if you'd like to join us...great! The more, the merrier!

Chris

5. MuttandSolo

MuttandSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    I might be able to get the discount, but I would have to pay for everything we want to get. So under the table deals would have to be made.

That Yellow Box site has some good designs too.

6. Mogook

Mogook Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Yeah Mutt, Big Yellow Box has some really cool designs. I like the last one on there.

7. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    The DC Fan Force is having a Lightsaber building party on Oct. 6 or so.

Check it out

8. JORJ_CARDAS

JORJ_CARDAS Jedi Padawan star 4

May 7, 2002
    Well, if I may add my thoughts....

Considering the fact that I have waited six months AND COUNTING for my MR Anakin Saber, I am more than game for this. What county or town are we talking?

Unless this is going to be 2 hours or more away from me....Count me in!

9. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    It will be in Arbutus or Glen Burnie (I'm hoping Darth IG-88 might offer his place, since he has...GARAGE!, and I don't) =P

-gh0stdevil

10. DARTHIG88

DARTHIG88 Jedi Master

Mar 28, 2002
    I dont have a Garage, but I would not have the space at my place to have a saber party[sorry] and since I`m starting back into tattooing I wont have time for The Md Fanforce,when I do get time I`ll drop back in
    I`m also dropping outta the film,

2 reasons-1 some people wont give up control to everyone[its everyone`s film] I could not be a part of a film where it would be strong armed by a few ,I`m not into powerplays..

2 Everyone thought it was a good idea to do a fanfilm, but some folks didn`t have a clue to what goes into a film,and placed alot on one person to carry the film and sorry folks it don`t work that way, so I`m history

It was fun and real , I met alot of cool folks and made some cool friends,untill we meet again
    Darth

11. yaddel

yaddel Jedi Youngling star 1

May 19, 2002
    This is a GREAT idea, where are you thinking of having the get together? I would need someone to watch my baby for the afternoon, she would never let me build anything :)

12. Isbeth

Isbeth Jedi Master star 4

Aug 28, 2001
    Is anybody going to the lightsabre making workshop in DC ? What parts do we need to bring along?

13. MuttandSolo

Feb 1, 2002
    Check the link I made to the DC thread on it. Everything you need to know lies within that thread.

14. gh0stdevil

Jun 3, 2002
    Well, I had no idea the DC group was doing one, but I still plan on doing one closer to home.

I only had a few people express interest, and no direct PMs...and no one suggested any dates or times.

So...is there really not much interest?

If so, that's okay, Darth IG-88 and I can just muck around by ourselves. =P

Plus, I think it'll be fun to actually GO GET the parts you need together as a group -- that way the people who aren't tool/part experts can ask questions, etc.

Chris

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.