'Would You Look At This?' -- Locked--and thank you!! :)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ophelia, May 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
  1. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    I posted a query about this idea in the "Etiquette" thread a couple of weeks ago, and the response was positive. So let's power this baby up, and see if she makes .5 past lightspeed. :p

The purpose of this thread

Once upon a time, it used to be considered normal for authors to post sections of their stories in workshop-type threads, so others could give helpful suggestions. This was a nice feature, since peer-workshopping is generally considered to be the most effective way of improving writing quickly. However, some posters abused this practice, and people became irritated by the number of excerpts that seemed to be thinly-veiled bids for attention instead of true requests for constructive criticism. The result is that now, posting excerpts in Resource threads is generally frowned upon as ?advertising.?

You can still find the occasional thread that allows open workshopping, however, and others permit it under limited circumstances. This thread is meant to be a list of ongoing writer-support threads and their policies toward excerpt-posting as a means of obtaining constructive criticism.

This particular thread is a mod-approved temporary one for information-gathering purposes; the list will be locked and its data integrated with the Beta-readers/Concrit threads when the merger has been sorted out.

Which threads are included in this list?

"Ongoing writer-support threads." These are threads that:
    • Were created in order to help writers practice and improve their writing. The threads can have other goals as well, such as acting as challenge centers, providing resources about a particular topic or character, etc., but they need to be basically writing-focused threads. The ?Happy Birthday? thread, lovely as it is, would not count, for example.
    • Have shown at least some staying power on the boards. ?Staying power? is defined for working purposes as having 26+ posts--i.e., threads that have made it to a second page.
    • Are unlocked
    I?ve put together a list of all the threads I could find that seemed to meet this definition. The list is in alphabetical order, with the word ?The? removed from thread titles.

The list below is just my best guess as to what?s out there?-if you know of a thread title that should be removed, then please let me know. If you have a thread that you think should be included, I?d be grateful if you?d send me its information in the format outlined in the ?form blank? near the bottom of this post.

Who sends in thread information?

Ideally, information should be sent by a thread host. A "host" is the person who started the thread, or who currently "runs" it. Basically, the host is whoever would change the thread topic, if that were going to happen. If a thread does not have a host (the starter has moved on; it?s a round-robin kind of place that nobody ?runs,? etc.) then any thread-regular who can guesstimate answers to all the questions is welcome to respond. I?ll take the information of the first thread-regular who responds. In a case like this, the answer to the question about who the host is would either be ?None,? or else any thread-regular can designate him/herself as the thread?s contact person. If your hostless thread accepts excerpts for workshopping and you don?t know exactly how many words are ?allowed? per excerpt, just give your best guess as to what current practice is.

Threads I don?t currently have information for are in red. Threads I do have information for are in black.

~*How to send information about a thread*~

First, highlight and copy the following ?blank form? code (yes, it looks terrible, but it's supposed to look like that):
      Thread Name:
      Thread Host(s), if any:
      Thread Type:
      Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?
      If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?
      Is fic feedback a typical part of
  2. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Concrit Policies of Ongoing Writer-Support Threads, A-F

Thread Name: The Allana Index and Discussion Thread
    Thread Host(s), if any: Eleventh Guard
    Thread Type: An index for Allana-centric stories and discussion about her.
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Yes
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Anything within reason - 500 words, give or take some.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? There is some, but for the most part, feedback goes on the
    fic itself.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? No
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? If someone wanted concrit on a particular story that fits the thread purpose and requested it.
    Host Note: It's more for discussion and alerts that new fics have been added to the index, but as long as a discussion is on-topic, it's good.

** Thread Name: Bail Organa Discussion Thread ? Who Was This Guy Anyway?
    Thread Host(s), if any: VaderLVR64 AKA ThePrinceOfAlderaan
    Thread Type: Character discussion, index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? No
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? N/A
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? No
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? None

** Thread Name: Behind the Conference Room Door
    Thread Host(s), if any: Tkeira_Lea, NYCitygurl, BigFatty
    Thread Type: Index
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? We do have several people who do reviews of fanfics
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Only if we were to run a special workshop, but that has yet to be discussed.

** Thread Name: Behind the Scars - A Yuuzhan Vong Characterization Thread
    Thread Host(s), if any: Vongchild
    Thread Type: Workshop/discussion
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? On occasion when there are questions about characterization of Yuuzhan Vong and Yuuzhan Vong related characters.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? No more than needed. 500+ is frowned on.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? No, not usually.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Not unless asked, though we're known to get in arguments nitpicking discussions.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Upon request for help with Yuuzhan Vong.

** Thread Name: The Bespin Café ? The Han and Leia Index
    Thread Host(s), if any: Lady Padme and Jade_Max (Sock ? HanLeiafanficguru)
    Thread Type: Index and Discussion
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?: We are trying to get fic reviews, but actual concrit is not encouraged

** Thread Name: Combining the Eras: A Time Travel Index and Discussion Thread
    Th
  3. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Writer-Support Threads G - M

** Thread Name: Good Guys Wear White - The Clone Trooper Discussion Workshop
    Thread Host(s), if any: Kudzu
    Thread Type: Character workshop and story index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Sure, why not?
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? I'll say...600 words.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Unfortunately not, although I'd like to change that.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Whenever possible, it is encouraged.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Any

** Thread Name: How to Write Evil
    Thread Host(s), if any: Spike2002
    Thread Type: Uhm, Resource? Discussion/Index
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? About 2000-3000 words
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Yes, if requested
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Yes, along with advice
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Any, especially if writers are in need of advice and help about their villains.

** Thread Name: Humor... The Last Shred of Sanity
    Thread Host(s), if any: Trimaj aka Son_of_Nut
    Thread Type: Humor, Disscussion/Challenge/Index
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Yes, but has to be related, and wanting concrit. If solely for advertisement then it will be deleted.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Up to 1,000
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Just started, hoping to make it part of it.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Just started, possibly.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? If it's asked for, but it must be constructive. No tearing down of any sort. Given in thread, unless specifically asked not to be.

** Thread Name: I'll Trade You This Picture For 1,000 Words
    Thread Host(s), if any: ophelia
    Thread Type: Weekly challenge/game thread
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? It depends. If they relate in some way to one of the images in the thread, then yes. See the thread's first post for guidelines.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? About 900 words, or roughly 3 pages in Word. Longer responses can be posted in their own story threads, and linked to in the ?1000 Words? thread.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Yes
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Posters who want constructive criticism would be best off posting this fact along with their image responses. It would also be preferable to keep concrit discussions to PM's.

** Thread Name: Index of the Old Republic: KOTOR Index and Discussion
    Thread Host(s), if any: Commander-DWH
    Thread Type: Index/discussion
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? If they're relevant to the current topic, bring 'em on in.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Shorter would be better, I'd keep it to around 500 words. But I'm also not going to police it terribly unless you post pages upon pages all at once.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?[/
  4. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Writer-Support Threads N ? T

Thread Name: Obidala & Sabewan Fanfiction Archive
    Thread Host(s), if any: AERYN_SUN
    Thread Type: Fanfiction Archive and Obidala and Sabewan website recource
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? Small summaries and links are accepted
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? See above
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Not really
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? no.

** Thread Name: The Obi-Wan and Siri Archive and Discussion Thread
    Thread Host(s), if any: Obi-Wan_Siri_Index
    Thread Type: Pairing Discussion/Index
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? No
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? Never

** Thread Name: OC Writers Anonymous
    Thread Host(s), if any: oqidaun
    Thread Type: Discussion and Mini-Challenges/Writing Exercises
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? In the context of the guided challenges and exercises writers are allowed to submit excerpts from works in progress. Unsolicited excerpts or excerpts that fall outside of the parameters of the discussion or minichallenge are not welcome. As a lot of the exercises are aimed at developing preexisting OCs or helping to craft new OCs, users often post WIP excerpts.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? Word limit is determined by the current exercise and it varies between a few sentences to up to 1000 words.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Feedback and comments on the submission preceding your own is encouraged if the excerpt/piece is posted in the thread. Soliciting comments to a fic on the Era boards or discussing a fic off topic is discouraged and considered fic pimping.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? Yes and No. Feedback is voluntary and typically only focuses on the previous submission.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? It depends on the current topic of discussion or mini-challenge/exercise. This isn't a beta/concrit thread per se as writers are encouraged to use the exercises to explore character development on their own.

** Thread Name: Other Half: Skywalker & Solo Twins Index and Discussion
    Thread Host(s), if any: SpiritOfEowyn
    Thread Type: Discussion, Fanfiction Index, and challenge.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit? 500 words. Must be Twin related. :D
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? Only when requested by the author
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? It's not the main purpose of the thread, but characterization and plot are often discussed, Grammar occasionally.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? As long as it's not attacking the author as a person, I'd be fine with it. ::shrugs:: If it ever becomes a problem, it will become restricted to author requested.

** Thread Name: Palpatine Character Discussion Thread
    Thread Host(s),if any: LLL
    Thread Type: Character discussion. Will eventually contain an index, if
  5. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Writer-Support Threads U ? Z

** Thread Name:
    Warrior Queen, Gentle Lady - Padmé Amidala Workshop Thread
    Thread Host(s), if any: leia_naberrie
    Thread Type: Character Workshop - Discussion & Challenge Thread
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome?: Only when requested and applicable to the present discussion.
    If excerpts are allowed, what is the approximate word limit?: Less than 600 words.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread?: Yes, it is.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread?: No, it is not.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any?: If the writer specifically requests for it.

** Thread Name: You Can Take The Farmboy Off The Farm...
    Thread Host(s), if any: EmilieDarklighter
    Thread Type: Discussion-only common interest group
    Are excerpts from fic drafts welcome? No.
    Is fic feedback a typical part of the thread? No.
    Is concrit a typical part of the thread? No.
    Under what conditions would concrit be acceptable, if any? None.
  6. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Upping -- 43 entries added since 5/28

(And thank you very much to the thread hosts who have helped out!) :)
  7. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Looking good, ophelia!!! Good job, this was a great idea :D
  8. Jade_Max Force Ghost

star 5
    Wow... that's... talk about info overload!
  9. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Jade_Max: Tell me about it. :pWe're losing our Beta/Concrit thread manager to the FFA very soon, and she wants to get the thread merger project squared away before the awards start.

For that reason, this thread will be locked at 5 p.m. board time, Monday, June 5. All the information will be transferred to the new Beta/Concrit thread.

If you host a thread that's still in red on this list, I'd very much appreciate your getting your thread's information to me as soon as possible. Being on the list helps you as well--not only is it a way for authors to find your thread, but it will help herd the appropriate kind of traffic your way.

Thanks once again to the thread hosts who have already PM'ed in their information. :)

/>
  10. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    (This post has been broken up into pieces because IGN hates its own board code, especially bullet points.)

Okay, NYCityGurl, or rather NYCityGurl, :p is really having to put her efforts into the summer FFA now, so the information in this thread needs to be transferred to the merged Beta/Concrit Index. (I'd link to it, but I'm not sure if it's going to be a new thread or just an expansion of an existing one.)

This thread will be locked at 5 p.m. board time, tomorrow--Monday, June 4. I won't be able to edit the information once it's in its new location, and I don't know how the beta/concrit crew plans on dealing with corrections and additions. I'm sure they'll continue to maintain the list, but their latest update says they're all pretty busy right now.

So basically, if you want a new or old thread added to the list of threads with concrit policies, this is the time to submit it. (The instructions are in the first post.)

11. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    These lovely asterisk "bullet points" have been brought to you by the letters A, S, P, and the number 0113, "Script timeout."

I'll give you a "timeout," you motherless, code-crunching cyberspace vacuole . . .

A few brief clarifications:

* I've been trying to limit inclusion in this list to threads that have 26 posts or more--that is, they've made it to a second page. The goal is to avoid filling the index with new threads that have a great premise, but which don't take off, and then just gather dust on the list. I do look at threads on a case-by-case basis, however, so if you have a thread that's shy of the mark but which is racking up posts like crazy, consider sending information in for it--especially if it will include a workshopping element.

* "Concrit" is an abbreviation for "constructive criticism," and that's a term that can mean many things to many people. For the purposes of this index, "offering concrit" means that authors can post something like the following in the thread: "Hey, I wrote this last night, and I don't know how it comes across. Does Tarkin seem like too much of a wuss to you? What about Leia? Does she come off as too shrill?" Then the other thread posters will give their respectfully-worded but honest opinions, along with suggestions for how the scene could be improved. It's beta reading, really, just with more people.

I post the following only because of past problems and misunderstandings: Most workshop threads have authors post a short excerpt of their piece for the convenience of those offering concrit. Except for under unusual circumstances, workshop excerpts should be from unposted drafts of stories, not from works that have already been posted on the story boards, or that the author considers to be in their final state. (Exceptions would be when an author had to post something they weren't quite happy with because of a deadline, or when a fic had a surprising and disappointing reception, and the author wants to know what might have gone wrong.) The major goal of a workshop is to prevent disappointing reader responses by suggesting revisions before a story is finished. Because the focus is on problem-solving, the excerpt ought to be a "rough spot" that the author wants to work on--not a part the author really likes as it is, and has posted in a misguided attempt to gain new readers or to get positive feedback outside their story thread. Depending on the situation, some thread hosts may wish to ban links to excerpted stories, or even ban the mention of workshopped stories' titles, in order to discourage "advertising." For lack of a better metaphor, a workshop excerpt would not be the teaser/trailer GL would show a test audience in advance of a film release. It would be the rough cut he'd drag Stephen Spielberg in to look at, and say, "Steve, I hate it. Why does this suck so much?!" Answer: "George, it's the 'Yub-nub' song. It's gotta go." (My apologies if that is painfully obvious, but difficulties along these lines got the workshop thread format all but wiped off the board over the past few years.)

(P.S. The "obvious" part related to the purpose of workshops. Not the loathing of the "Yub-Nub" song.)

* Finally, there was some confusion over the terms "concrit" and "feedback." "Feedback" is any kind of response to a story or excerpt. "Concrit" is a type of feedback intended to help authors improve their writing. Threads that are indexes only or character discussions only may not offer feedback of any kind. They do not discuss authors' stories, period. Some game and challenge threads encourage "feedback," with the unspoken caveat that the feedback consist of positive comments only. These threads allow "feedback," but not the "let's improve this story"-type feedback known as "concrit."
  12. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    Information received after the thread lock will be forwarded to BetaReaderIndex, who will do . . . something with it. :p (I like to think it will find its way up onto the boards fairly quickly.)

5:01, and that's it. Thanks so much to everyone who helped out! :)
Moderators: Briannakin, mavjade
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.