main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Phx Would you name your kids after Star Wars?

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by Idiots Array, Feb 15, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Idiots Array

Idiots Array Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 3, 2000
    Or any other popular media for that matter...

Personally, I'd seriously consider naming my daughter (if/when I have one...still a ways off for me) Mara Jane. It has several popular culture references. It's sort of a combination of Mara Jade from Star Wars and Mary Jane, Spider-Man's girlfriend, though the Spider-Man reference is just coincidence (honest! :p). I chose Jane because it's my grandma's middle name and it's very close to Jade.

I did this thread once before on another bbs and it got some interesting results. So what about you? Would you name your twins Luke and Leia? Is your son named Anakin or Ben? Your daughter named Jaina? Would you give them a "normal" first name, but then have Amidala or Qui-gon as their middle name? What about nicknames?

India Alpha

2. QuiGon_butnot4gotten

QuiGon_butnot4gotten Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 7, 2001
    Personally, SW is my obsession. I wouldn?t name my child after a SW (or any other Pop culture) character. However, if the child (when he/she turns eighteen) wanted to change his name to Han Solo/Leia then that would be his/her choice and I would support that.

3. kreleia

kreleia Jedi Knight star 5

Dec 14, 2000
    Not on purpose. :) If only because I think the child might hate me for it later in life (which will happen anyway once they hit teens, but I'd like to try to avoid it with the name).

.... I guess you could say that I named Jacob after several people in the bible... although I've never read the bible (except in small bits and pieces). His full name is Jacob Alexander Green.
    The one thing I *did* consider when choosing a name was the meaning. And, I really didn't intend to saddle Jacob with such a tremendous name, but Rob and I couldn't agree on "Jacob" or "Alexander" for his first name - so we comprimised after he was two-days old, and we couldn't stand hearing "Baby Boy Green" anymore.

I asked Rob one time if he would care if we chose a Star Wars name, and he was ready to commit me to the insane asylum right there. **laugh** Also, I shudder to think what kind of torture would be inflicted on a girl named Padmé, or a boy named Anakin.

On the other hand, I've heard of several people naming their daughters Mara Jade, and nobody knowing the significance. :) I also think Mara JANE is beautiful! Nice choice, really!

^.^

EDIT: Y'know, now that I'm thinking about it, Winter would be a really sweet name for a girl. hmmmm.... :)

4. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Personally, I think Jacen and Jaina would be great for twins. Not popular enough that everyone is going to know where they came from and they don't have to go through life saying "yes, my mom is insane, yes we are named after Luke and Leia in Star Wars" but the true fans will get the reference.

5. aztrooper0013

aztrooper0013 Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 27, 2002
    Nope....Not Star Wars, but I have always loved the name "Harley Quinn" for a girl. It just flows so nicely as an Irish sounding name.

Harley Quinn O'Connor

See? Plus Harley is just a cool name for a girl, in my opinion.

Either that or Vendetta.....::shrug::

6. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I'd consider something from the EU, Mara for example, but names from the movies would just get too many weird looks.

7. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    i think i'd create a name. i was blessed with an annoyingly common name (jessica), and when you have a name like that, everytime you go to walmart or somewhere, there's always a perturbed mother yelling, "jessica, knock it off!" or something like that, and it makes you jump of course...and it's just not fun. so i wouldn't want my son or daughter (should i ever have kids...hah) to have that problem.

anyway, to get to the point...

sons: onnen, methos, adrian, paul
    daughters: epsenia, asiome, circe, ana

yeah those are probably the names i'd want...maybe the more bizarre names could be middle names.

star wars names though...i don't know. if i knew my kids wouldn't be made fun of, obi-wan and leia would be high up on my list. and i'd spell leia right, dang it. i've known so many girls named leia who spell it "leah" and it drives me nuts. :)

8. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    i was blessed with an annoyingly common name (jessica), and when you have a name like that, everytime you go to walmart or somewhere, there's always a perturbed mother yelling, "jessica, knock it off!" or something like that, and it makes you jump of course...and it's just not fun. so i wouldn't want my son or daughter (should i ever have kids...hah) to have that problem.

That's an interesting thought, jupiter. I've always been on the opposite end of that spectrum since my name is one of the less common ones. I will say it's nice to have someone yell out "Christian" and know it's you they're referring to. On the other hand I've had my fair share of teasing when I was little because my name was more unique. Because of that I've always thought I'd give my kids names that were at least a little more common.

India Alpha

9. EmprsHandMick

EmprsHandMick Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    jupiter is a Highlander fan, me thinks... :)

10. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Heh. You want problems with names? I'll give you a *big* problem. The last name of GREEN. Just think about it for a minute. How many first names are there that you would NOT be able to use because of that? Okay, just as an example, here's a quick list:

Hunter (boy)
    Kelly (boy/girl)
    Winter (girl)
    Summer (girl)
    Forest (boy)
    Leaf/Lief/Leif (boy)

Granted, most of those are a bit unusual (except Kelly), but still. I've always liked "Hunter" for a boy's name, and now it'll never happen because Rob's Irish ancestors decided that they had to flaunt their favorite color. [face_laugh] 'Course, you still have to be careful about initials, too. Especially if you like using middle names. So I won't be naming my darling daughter (she's in my future somewhere, I know it) Emily Grace Green, or Heather Ann Green. ^^;

Also, when you choose a name, consider the spelling. Nobody ever spells my name right. NEVER EVER EVER! Unless I happen to run into another Kristie who spells it exactly the same way (which has happened, although it's rare). [face_laugh] ACK!! It can be a pain - especially when the person you're trying to tell could care less (that's the *most* annoying). And then there's the people that call me Kris... :mad:

Okay, end of rant. Sorry. ^.^ I hope that didn't come across as snotty or grouchy, 'cause I didn't mean it that way. So, back to the original subject...

Mirax might be pretty cool for a girl (or even just Mira - I really like that name, actually). And then, of course, there's Iella, Tahiri and Ysanne. :D Of all those, I'd probably pick Tahiri...

I'll shut up now.
    ^^

11. Emperor_Dan

Emperor_Dan Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 21, 1999
    Jacob Alexander Green..

JAG!

12. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Winter Green
    [face_laugh] :p

I agree, I definitely like the name Winter, and Mira is a good one I hadn't thought of.

P.S. Speaking of initials I guess since I have a last name starting in 'S' I'd better be careful about giving my kids names that start with 'A'...the wrong middle name could be disasterous. ;)

Though I suppose Patricia Michelle wouldn't be a wise choice either. [face_shocked]

India Alpha

13. Mirax H

Mirax H TFN Costumes Staff star 3 VIP

Aug 16, 1999
    Actually Mira is anothe name I use. It got started when I posted on another role playing board. There was a Mara and I was Mirax. She called me Mira once and it stuck so we were Mara and Mira. I like that name too.

And Jupiter, if I was your kid and had one of those names, I'd be wishing I was Leia instead! LOL.

14. jupitertronic

jupitertronic Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 10, 2002
    haha when it comes down to it, i'll probably name my kids amanda, david, william, onya, etc. nothing too weird. but it's nice to think about. :D

and yes, i am a highlander fan, i admit it. mostly i'm just a peter wingfield fan... ack. *swoons* ;)

(edit: ROFL i did not even notice i put "adrian, paul" in there. ew, that was a mistake. he's gross, hehe. i just like the names "paul" and "adrian." honest. :) and what's sad is adrian was a waiter at a restaurant in california that i only ever saw once...)

15. AZLineUp

AZLineUp Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    I'm definetly going to name mine Jacen or Jania depending on sex of course. Before anyone knew about Episode I, I was hoping to name one Anakin...

But hopefully I will get all of mine named after EU or cannon characters

16. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    The question, AZLineUp, then becomes do you pronounce "Jacen" as Jay-sin, or Jay-kin...? ;)

India Alpha

17. AZLineUp

AZLineUp Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 22, 2001
    what is the proper pronunciation?

When I read the books, I thought it would be 'Jay-sin' but the other one sounds cool

18. big_boss_nass

big_boss_nass Tucson FF Founding Member star 4

Nov 12, 2001
    han(boy)

natalie(girl)

19. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    //shrug
    I have no idea what the "correct" pronunciation is. I guess the correct pronunciation is whatever Tim Zahn says it is. I always assumed it was just a creative spelling of Jason, but there's always a debate in the Lit. forums about whether to pronounce the "c" in Jacen as an "s" or a "k". I've always pronunced it as Jay-son.

India Alpha

20. kreleia

Dec 14, 2000
    Proper pronounciation is "JAY-sin," just like you've always thought. Still, jay-kin is cool... just consider the spelling. EVERYONE will say jay-sin the first time if you spell it Jacen.

^.^

21. Idiots Array

Jan 3, 2000
    Up, so Darth_Trigue can read this. ;)

22. KenobisGirl

KenobisGirl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Well, it's a long way off, but it's always good to plan ahead, right?

Girl: Jade. I've always loved Mara Jade, and I just thought Jade would be a cool name.

Boy: Jovan. Another nod to the EU.

I have one of the most common girls' names in the US. My name is Ashley. I mean, come on, I have four Ashleys in one of my hours! I like weird names, if you haven't noticed! ;)

23. AZJedi

AZJedi Jedi Youngling

May 8, 2002
    We named our kids Ian Gray and Brendan Patrick. We agreed on Irish/Scottish names for boys and Hispanic names for girls, but we haven't had a little girl and don't plan to at this point.

I did try to slip in McGregor as Ian's middle name but my wife wasn't too keen on that. We decided that Gray was a great middle name since it runs in her family. Besides, I've already got the 'Ben' Kenobi thing going. ;)

24. Dvader20

Dvader20 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 10, 2002
    My Wife and I were going to name our kids...

Boy - Michael Gregory Girard Jr.

- so I can do my best Sean Connery and be like "Junior, recite the greek alphabet".

Girl - Calista Leia Girard

- We liked Calista before that anorexic chick made it big by being on a TV show.

25. aero-

aero- Jedi Youngling star 2

May 4, 2002
    blew me away when Mike (DroidEater) told me at the lineup that he named his son Axton Jedi...

now THAT's cool...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.