main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you pay to go to a wedding

Discussion in 'Archive: Your Jedi Council Community' started by beezel26, Jan 10, 2012.

1. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003
    If you were invited to a wedding of a friend or family member and asked to pay for an invitation would you buy it? Given they were not rich and would end up going into debt anyway to have the wedding. Would you pay to go, would there be a limit on how much you would pay? Would you still give a gift or some money to them if you went?
    What kind of reception would you expect if you had to pay and how long would you want it to be minimal?

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Congratulations, beez!

3. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    There isn't enough money in the world that you could pay to get in my wedding.

4. s65horsey

s65horsey Otter-loving Former EUC Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 24, 2006
    One pays enough to attend a wedding: plane flight, gas, hotel, food that it would be a huge insult to ask a guest to pay any more.

5. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    In the Godfather, what is the point of the tradition about "this, the day of my daughter's wedding" if in fact he still exacts a price for any help he gives on that day anyway? I mean, isn't that basically his whole mode of business the other 364 days of the year?

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Seriously. [face_plain] Tackiness at its finest.

There is never a need to go in debt for a wedding. When I got married 17 years ago, marriage licenses in my state were $40. I can't imagine that they are more than $100 now. Just because some people spend $20K on a wedding doesn't mean they have to in order to be married. An inexpensive wedding is a better solution than charging guests for an invite.

7. TahiriVeilaSolo69

TahiriVeilaSolo69 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 27, 2002
  8. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    I'd pay for the arsonist.

9. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    why pay when you can simply crash?

10. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    I'd pay $1 to go to Eeth-my-Koth's wedding, but expect change.

11. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    Any man who goes to a wedding is already paying for it one way or another!

12. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
  13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i'd pay to go to the wedding of nathan lane and the world's biggest walrus. but i'd only want to pay like eight bucks.

14. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    To hell with weddings! Seeing other people happy together makes me uncomfortable!

15. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    [image=http://skylarhope.files.wordpress.com/2010/10/dead-groom-cake.jpg]

16. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    If it was a family member and he/she requested the money out of need then I would.

17. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000

18. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    No. If you can't afford a Disney wedding, just have a simple civil ceremony, but don't make me pay for your excesses.

19. darthhelinith

darthhelinith Force Ghost star 6

Feb 10, 2009
    No. Weddings are boring unless there's anyone else you actually know at them.

20. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    You often get invited to weddings by complete strangers?

21. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
  22. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Agreed. You also forgot the cost of acquiring formal attire if necessary. Last wedding I went to I had to rent a tux and my unemployed wife had to get herself an evening gown because formal attire was compulsory. It was her cousin?s wedding and not going was simply not an option. The bride?s family is, to put it simply, very well off so the reception was nothing short of spectacular. So I guess they could afford giving their daughter such a party and not charge any more to the guests other than the expensive hotel parking.

My wedding was nowhere near as spectacular but it was rather decent all things considered. Charging the guests (mostly our close friends and family) for the priviledge to assist was simply not an option and we made sure everyone had a good time. So in my opinion, don't even think about charging guests. It's bad form, and you'll probably find yourself with a lot of empty tables on that day. If you don't receive any financial help with the wedding, only do what you can realistically afford without going broke in the process.

23. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    Just check on the couple 20 years later then.

24. Sebulba-X

Sebulba-X •X C2 C3 MW RSA• star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2000
    FYI - there's plenty of money in the world (and other forms of bribery) to buy in as my +1 to Eeth's wedding.

25. TheModFavorite

TheModFavorite Jedi Master star 4

Sep 14, 2007
    i'm totally going to be charging admission to my wedding now. thanks for the idea, beez!