main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Would you prefer Disney not own the Saga?

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by DBPirate, Sep 27, 2015.

?

Be honest! Would you rather have had Disney not buy the Saga?

1. It's good Disney bought it.

31.8%
  2. It's bad Disney bought it.

24.2%
  3. We'll have to wait and see.

43.9%
  1. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    Disney's purchase of LucasFilm (and therefore Star Wars) has been a discussion topic since 2012. They've brought of ideas and stuff to the table.

They started working on the sequel trilogy and as such, greatly focused upon the originals. They canceled The Clone Wars and shut down LucasArts. They sorta kinda helped with creating Rebels. They brought Battlefront back. They're working on a theme park. They canceled the 3D re-releases. Things like that.

Taking all of that into account, would you rather Disney not have bought Star Wars from LucasFilm? Perhaps you think you're being treated unfairly? Personally (and this is a bit controversial), I would rather have had TCW continue than have a sequel trilogy, or at least have another trilogy further down the line. Discuss!

2. Mindless Monster

Mindless Monster Jedi Master star 4

Dec 4, 2014
    So far I'm less than impressed with the results, but it really depends on how the ST plays out.

natureboy76 likes this.
  3. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    My answer: We'll have to wait and see. I would've preferred Lucas kept ownership and moved forward with all of these same plans. I wish he were still involved. However, if there was to be a big studio involved, Disney would've been my first choice. They have a history with Lucas and Lucasfilm in the theme parks and it makes sense all around. The SW films fit the Disney family action adventure-type mold.

4. Sab Jo

Sab Jo Jedi Master star 2

Jul 2, 2013
    I think having the franchise go to Disney is the best choice in a number of areas. That doesn't change the fact that I wish GL was helming the ST. Disney is my favorite multimedia company because of their legacy, at times innovation, beloved movies of all genres, and most recently their huge content portfolio. In recent years, they've acquired such major franchises as Pixar, The Muppets, Marvel, and now Lucasfilm. They've given these franchises a lot more opportunities and in some ways new life. HOWEVER . . . that DID come at a cost. Even though Disney is now the biggest, richest multimedia empire on Earth, I'm very sad to say that they penny pinch even at the sake of art. There's nothing wrong with saving money, but when you do it to such a degree that it damages artistic opportunities or to such an extent that other less rich studios wouldn't dream of, there's a problem.

Examples:

Pixar used to have stringent standards for any feature film to be greenlighted, but now they are pressured to output more commercial fare alternating with their masterpieces, like Cars 2 and Monsters University.

The Muppet Show had the first 3 seasons released on DVD, but the rest was discontinued. Instead, we get a trashy, derivative new show with none of the heart or spirit of the past 40+ years. (I know opinions will vary on this, sorry if you like it.)

Star Wars VII was rushed into production with the sole goal of making a return on investment asap to placate the shareholders. Because of this, The Clone Wars wasn't allowed to end with dignity, just so that Rebels and other new canon content could rapidly prepare the way for the new movie. The 3D rereleases were canceled, even though the PT was already completed and the OT could've been finished easily as well. The reason? So they don't have to share profits with TCF which has the rights to most till 2020.

On a side note, Disney is also the ONLY studio in existence to refuse to release its own movies to Blu ray 3D in the US. 3D fans have to import from other countries to get movies like Frozen and Maleficent. Thankfully, subsidiaries like Pixar and Marvel are allowed to refuse this directive and release 3D Blus like every other studio in the industry. Why? Again, penny pinching.

Luukeskywalker and DBPirate like this.
  5. Davak24

Davak24 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 15, 2015
    Idk. They canceled TCW, which is great, personally. We're getting a new Battlefront as well. But then they go and wipe out all of the EU (save TCW, unfortunately) and go on to hire the same people who made TCW for another show.

It's a mixed bag, to me.

I'll just have to hope TFA is great and not be like the past 7+ years.

6. Delta-7

Delta-7 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 24, 2002
    Like others I can't exactly say until we get the ST (and the first of the Anthology films)

But it has had its up and downs.

On one hand The Clone Wars got prematurely canceled but we have gotten the increasingly excellent Rebels.
    On one hand the EU became Legends (which I perfectly understand why) but we have gotten decent Comics and Books to make a NuEU,

I am excited to see what video games come out of the deal, as for awhile LucasArts seemed to have great ideas but horrible execution or just never saw the light of day.

Overall I am just excited to be a Star Wars fan and look forward to the future.

Sab Jo likes this.
  7. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    The Clone Wars was really good when it was cut down so suddenly. I miss that show terribly. Wait and see for me. I wish Lucas still owned it so it won't become watered down and less special the way Hollywood has become. Disney has become too large in my opinion.....

DBPirate and Sab Jo like this.
  8. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    As long as I like the stories, it is fine in my book.

SateleNovelist11 and Sab Jo like this.
  9. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    For now it may seem like a great thing. New movies and other content, which don't get me wrong I'm excited about and all, but it long run it won't be a good thing. Nothing is sacred to Disney, *looks at Mary Poppins*.

10. The Sith Camp

The Sith Camp Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 10, 2015
    Well guys the way I see it - whilst some EU may be not Canon anymore :( ... then again - atleast Princess Leia is now a Disney Princess eh? And a tough Nerfing Princess as well :)

And then again can you imagine Palpatine saying 'Darth Plagueis was NOT MY TRUE MENTOR! It was ... Walt Disney and Darth Hades ... and that idiot scumbag Darth Maul loser-wannabe? He never existed ... my true mentors were Darth Maleficent, Darth Stromboli, Darth Tremaine, Darth Jafar, Darth Ursula, Darth Frollo, Darth Donald, Darth Cruella, Darth Gaston, Darth Shanyu, Darth Yeezma, Darth Horn (Horned King) and so many others...'

Then again we also get Pete the Mutt!, 101 Clone-mation Army, Grand Moff Mortufkin, Daisy Fett, Grand Master Stitch and Scrooge, Pad-ducks Huey, Duey and Louey ... Captain Rouke, Captain Barbossa, Captain Jack Sparrow, Captain HOOK-NAKA, Plu-baaca, Goofy-pio, Max Solo ... oh the list goes on!

natureboy76 and Sab Jo like this.
  11. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    Don't forget Pixar, it's all in the family now!

Darth's Sid, Hopper, Prospector, Al, Zurg, Randall, Waternoose, Darla, Syndrome, Chick Hicks, Skinner, Auto, Muntz, Lotso, etc.

Then there's Darth Nader (Gonzo) from the Mark Hamill episode of The Muppet Show . . .

Then from Marvel there's Darths Goblin, Abomination, . . . oh forget it, this list could get long ;)

The Sith Camp likes this.
  12. ewoksimon

ewoksimon Chosen One star 5

Oct 26, 2009
    We'll have to wait and see. I actually do love the fact that canon is now properly under one umbrella as a result of more films being made, and while I am as overwhelmingly excited for the new movies as anyone, the jury is still out as to whether or not they are truly NECESSARY for the overall narrative.

If anything, Disney is keeping this franchise at the forefront of popular culture after a period of ebbs and flows over the last 40 years. The only question is if the general public will eventually get tired of it.

Sab Jo likes this.
  13. Toxic Spider

Toxic Spider Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 20, 2015
    On the plus side, new Star Wars movies.

On the minus side, Disney's inexorable takeover of the world continues unimpeded.

So it's too early to tell.

14. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    That's my opinion as well. I don't like the creative and marketing choices they've made so far (with the exception of getting rid of the EU), but other companies/studios would probably have done the same or worse.

Sab Jo likes this.
  15. AplagueOnTheWise

AplagueOnTheWise Jedi Master star 3

Oct 27, 2013
    Star Wars Episode VII: No Hope

Empress Shatterpoint likes this.
  16. Kenneth Morgan

Kenneth Morgan Chosen One star 5

May 27, 1999
    Like I wrote in another thread, I can just see some little girl watching a "Disney Princess" video and asking her mom, "Mommy, do you see that princess next to Cinderella and Ariel? Why is she carrying a gun?"

Sab Jo likes this.
  17. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    Yeah, its bad enough they made Pixar's Merida a Disney Princess.

18. MotivateR5D4

MotivateR5D4 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 20, 2015
    Star Wars and Disney have always had a strong partnership, so I think it was a natural progression. Especially now that Disney also owns Marvel. It will still be it's own thing. So it's under the Disney umbrella, but so is ESPN, and that is hardly a "Disney-fied" network. I think Star Wars will do alright under Disney.

Sab Jo likes this.
  19. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014
    As someone who could not stand what Star Wars had become, very PT centric and low quality- I am very happy with what Disney has done so far. Especially love the Disney store merch.

I cannot understand why anyone was surprised that the EU got chucked out. The Clone Wars already overwrote parts of it. If Lucas had done 7 himself, he would have still thrown it out. There was no way JJ was going to have to follow hundreds of books and not be allowed to have elements like Chewbacca.

Rebels is decent. I'm worried about Filoni's pet characters though. Hopefully they won't Mary Sue themselves too far into the plot, or Vader kills Ashoka with no remorse. It did find its legs much quicker than the Clone Wars.

20. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I'm just a little confused as to why, it seems, all of the EU was invalidated, including things like the Brian Daley Solo novels, which take place even before the CT and wouldn't necessarily conflict with the new movies.

Then again, that's kind of off-topic for this thread. Feel free to redirect me.

21. Sab Jo

Jul 2, 2013
    1: PT centric. Dou you mean creating new, original content without falling back on stereotypes?

2: the EU got chucked out? Um, no it didn't. Even if they don't say it outright, theyre working within the confines of the EU and keeping a lot of the characters and plot elements. Just in obvious areas like Luke's marriage and Chewbaccas death will it differ.

3: Rebels found its legs quicker than TCW? True. Because it built itself out of TCW, with the same man, Filoni, roughly the same animation style, and same characters like ashoka and the clones.

DBPirate likes this.
  22. lovelikewinter

lovelikewinter Jedi Knight star 4

May 28, 2014

I think it would have been insulting to say one piece still counts while another doesn't. Imagine being the author of a work that got thrown out, even if it was for a good reason. Much less hassle to make it a blank slate.

No I meant that everything revolved around those movies. The OT was altered to better fit in with the PT. The Clone Wars- 100+ episodes of PT content. Lucas seemed to prefer that era and all effort was put into it. I like the OT era more, so the more OT-focused Disney is making me happy.

anakinfansince1983 and Sab Jo like this.
  23. DBPirate

DBPirate Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2015
    No, feel free to talk about the EU getting invalidated. Disney invalidated it, so it counts.

24. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Disney is becoming far too large for my liking....

25. Kenneth Morgan

May 27, 1999
    I can understand Disney removing post-ROTJ materials from canon, since the new movie is a direct continuation that, so far as I know, ignores and/or supercedes those stories. But I'm not sure why anything else pre-dating to CT is tossed, as long as it wasn't contradicted by the PT. There's really no need to just wipe the slate clean, particularly for materials generally accepted and Lucasfilm-approved for decades.

Gads, this is starting to sound like Council of Trent.

Sab Jo and DBPirate like this.