main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you purchase the O-OT?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by jedi_master_bac, Mar 28, 2006.

?

Would you purchase the O-OT?

Poll closed Mar 22, 2012.
  1. Yes

70.7%
  2. No

23.9%
  3. Undecided

5.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    The slapstick robots have been there since 1977 or so.

Fact: the OT storyline, what honestly matters in other words, is exactly the same.

Opinion: Besides, by inserting slapstick robots and CGI, ANH loses its class, its style, its sense of atmosphere.

Which is why it's still rated one of the best films of all time. I guess you saw the alternate-universe one where it's the most hated film of all time.

2. CuppaJoe

CuppaJoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 24, 2002
    Really? Last I checked it was all still there.

3. Sanctuary_Moon

Sanctuary_Moon Jedi Youngling star 3

May 20, 2004
    Correction: the slapstick robots were added for the 1997 Special Edition. Or are we talking about different slapstick robots?

4. Darth_BADLungs_Vader

Darth_BADLungs_Vader Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2006
    The answer is no[face_plain] Im realy happy with the versions I have and if I were to buy new ones it would be the HD saga set.[face_peace]

5. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Lucas: "Screw it. I'm going home. There's no point even making these films right now because intelligent folks will see that without computer-generated characters and sets, they're crap."

LOL. Ironically, on the Last Starfighter DVD, there's a five-second segment of X-wings in flight that was produced by the CGI computer to show Lucas. It looked pretty darned good, but Lucas chose to use models instead.

6. ZamWesell44

ZamWesell44 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 13, 2003
    i voted no, i want the original, but not these half a$$ versions of them.

7. Oocleenee

Oocleenee Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2006
    I voted yes ... and I've already purchased mine early.

8. Ekasra

Ekasra Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 11, 2004
    I'm still undecided, before anything i want to see what the video/sound quality. If the special editions weren't tied into it making it cheaper then i would buy it without a doubt

9. DarkSyder

DarkSyder Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 28, 2003
    I will not be buying the non-anamorphic version of the O-OT. If LFL don't release a proper version of the O-OT in a few more years, then so be it. I have the SEs, which I have no problem with. There's no way I'm giving any money to LFL for the substandard product they're putting out this year.

10. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005
    Anamorphic of non-anamorphic, i will not buy them

i am beliver of the SE, though I respect other people's respect for the OOT [face_peace]

11. Emperor_Dantius

Emperor_Dantius Jedi Master star 2

Feb 18, 2005
    I too am more comfortable with the SE, but I'll be buying these three, come September 12th.:D

12. LORD_MONSTROSITY

LORD_MONSTROSITY Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 23, 2004
    Indeed I will.

I can hardly wait.

And I look forward to more extras in future releases.

13. Qui-GonSolo

Qui-GonSolo Jedi Youngling

Jun 23, 2005
    No. Lucas showed us how he wanted them with the Special Edition.

14. FelsGoddess

FelsGoddess Jedi Master star 5

Sep 5, 2004
    The Special Edition were what Lucas saw. I have the old ones on VHS and I really don't see a reason to buy this version on DVD.

15. LORD_MONSTROSITY

LORD_MONSTROSITY Jedi Youngling star 5

Apr 23, 2004
    But what he saw and could only achieve 'half ass' by breakin' backs and balls is what made the real originals so damn cool.

For example, the Taun-Tauns rule.

Don't ever change the Taun-Tauns

16. Import_Jedi

Import_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Aug 20, 2001
    To put it succintly: NO.

17. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I consider 3PO complaining for the first twenty minutes of his film about having sand in his joints, smacking around R2, and telling R2 nobody likes him to be the definition of slapstick. :p

18. PrinceEspaaValorum

PrinceEspaaValorum Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 30, 2005
    I voted "No." I would like to see anamorphic.

19. dude4c

dude4c Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2003
    I'm sorry your highness but i'm afraid your going to have to except George Lucas' control for the time being.

20. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Yes, still but not sure when i will buy it

21. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Not sure.

I prefer the original versions more than what we got in 2004. I haven't changed my stance on that. The movies were just fine the way they were, and they are better off the way people remember them instead of with anal tweaking around.

Though I don't think I want to blow money on the release we are getting. Non-anamorphic is better than nothing at all, but I already bought the 2004 set and will feel like a tool buying those movies over again separately.

22. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    I'm buying them. A lesser transfer is still less distracting than 1996 CGI in a 70s movie. I've tried to ignore the changes, I really have but they're so un-subtle. To paraphrase Tony Montana "The F--king thing is right there, what am I gonna do, not look at it?"

23. threepio_mania

threepio_mania Jedi Master star 3

Dec 15, 2002
    Is it only coming out as the separate movies? If they just released the Laserdisc transfers s a 3-pack I would get it.

24. WitchKing66

WitchKing66 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 2005

i agree with Kamino looking a bit odd and i didnt like some cartoonishness in the PT

Did you know that the TPM had more sets built that the entire OT put together. that is a fact btw

About the Endor scenes, it looks to me as a typical planet where the Federation (Star Trek) would send an Away Team with Jean-luc Picard and two other main characters and ofcourse an ensign rookie who is to be killed off. In ROTJ we do have Away Team with Jean-luc Solo as team leader and all the main cast guys and plenty of ensign rookies, though we dont see any of them getting killed b/c ROTJ is a kid movie. For some reason the suddenly-promoted-pirate-who-became-a-general Solo for some reason is too cool to wear a camo uniform.

So you have to ask yourself, if the updated ANH SE doesn't do its job, then maybe the PT has too much CG in it? Maybe it is the PT's fault, not the OT, specifically ANH?

i think its ANH-fault, for all the reason stated below:

i am sure you know that the reason OT looks far from civilized world (main industrial planets) is b/c of lower budgets and lack of effect associated with the movies. If the OT were to made NOW, you will see the Endor Moon or the forrest moon orbting Coresucant. Hell, we woould had a wookie ground assault in ANH. Did you know that the Battle of Endor is a re-make of the Battle of Yavin where more technology and higher $$ budget. Battle of Endor is what Lucas had in mind for Battle of Yavin. how come no one attacking ROTJ for that lack of un-originality.

YOU SEE, the OT that was made in late 70s and 80s could not have shown entirely what was suppose to be shown. A perfect example is the Green Moon orbiting Coresucant. those large-scale scenes were meant to be shown in the OT as well

25. BaronLandoCalrissian

BaronLandoCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 14, 2006
    Nobody (outside of dudes on the internet) really cares about that stuff because the OT had great characters. And they did build many sets for the new movies. Lots of doorways. And floors with part of a window.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.