main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you want TCW to have a theatrical finale?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by johnboy3441, May 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    Right now, when watching the films through in chronological order, the Ahsoka situation makes the jump from TCW to RotS incredibly jarring. Who here would like the final episodes of the series (where Ahsoka's apprenticeship is resolved in whatever fashion they choose) to be get a theatrical release like the pilot? That way, aside from bookending the series rather nicely, they can also serve as a "Clone Wars Duology" that can fit snugly within movie marathons. It probably won't happen, but it was just a thought I had.

2. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    No...please, no. The reputation of Star Wars has already been tarnished enough.

3. koonfan

koonfan Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 15, 2008
    Well, if the quality of episodes for the Ahsoka-resolution story is at its peak or has at least plateaued at a good standard (3.5 or 4 out of 5 I'd say), then yeah, I wouldn't mind the creation of a story arc which can fit as a movie. It's not necessary, but it'd be a nice send-off.

A good example of this would be the finale of Avatar. The episodes alone, taken on TV bit by bit, work like normal episodes with cliffhangers. However, they were strung together into a movie and got high praise by virtue of their quality and ability to mesh well.
    In my opinion, if The Clone Wars at least keeps up the quality it has now (with my hopes and expectations betting on even more improvement :D), it'd at least be better received than its well-intentioned but ill-advised pilot movie. If they achieve new heights of greatness, though, this could very well be something similar to Avatar!

4. StarWarrior77

StarWarrior77 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 30, 2008
    Heck yea! A Clone Wars theatrical finale would be great!

5. clrobins6r

clrobins6r Jedi Knight

May 15, 2009
    I like the idea of a movie to open and a movie to close, but at the end of the day, regardless of the format, I am just hoping for the best story line possible. (that was a lot of commas). I'll take substance over style any day.

6. Sven_Starcrown

Sven_Starcrown Jedi Youngling star 4

Mar 10, 2009
    No need for that.

7. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I really don't think its necessary, though I would of course watch one were they to make it. The Ahsoka situation can be resolved within the series, it isn't really a big deal between that and ending it in a movie.

8. DarthDragon164

DarthDragon164 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Seeing Star War's trilogy fetish, I would like to see a trilogy of Clone Wars movies. We have the pilot, one half way through the series, and then a finale.

9. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    Sure, I'd love one! But I don't think it's going to happen.

10. WookieeAlpha

WookieeAlpha Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2009
    I agree with that. Even though TCW improved considerably since it's first episodes, I don't think there's any possible story that could be told that deserved a movie of its own.

And besides the first one did so bad at the b.o. and critics bashed it so hard that people won't be interested in it, causing it to be an even worse failure than the first movie was.

11. whateveritis12

whateveritis12 Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 29, 2008
    Maybe have a straight to DVD middle and a Theatrical release end, or 2 straight to dvd releases, or just the one at the end.

It'd probably be good for extended Order 66 stories. You know the clone squads that won't follow the order, or the Jedi that initially fight and escape. Maybe to go into hiding or they get back to Coruscant before Obi and yoda do and get caught up with the troopers as they are getting to the temple. Maybe it'd be good for Shaak Ti and Ahsoka to meet up and go to Shila where they get caught up in a fight. Shaak goes to Felucia after that and Ahsoka goes wherever.

12. WookieeAlpha

WookieeAlpha Jedi Youngling

Jun 2, 2009
    ^ I don't see that happening any time soon. Remember you're talking about post-RotS and TCW happens between AotC and RotS.

But yeah, maybe a "stand-alone" dvd series or a mini-series of what happened during and after Order 66 would be something I'd watch. I never thought of it tbh, but it'd be cool if they did that.

13. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    Look Asohka is going to be to the end of the entire three seasons of the clone wars. So don;t expect it to mesh in with clone wars 1.0 stuff. Second, after the disaster of the first film, I would say an affirmitave "NO". I do not want to see this crap in the movie theater so that it could be embarassed again. Monster, Bolt, Up, all made more than the paltry clone war movie.

14. WedgeWalker

WedgeWalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2008
    I really do not see what others see when they claim that the TCW film was far inferior to the first season of the show. I personally thought both the film and the season were quite good.

Anyway, I would like to see the show bookended by theatrical films.

15. DeadOrAlive

DeadOrAlive Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2009
    No, I don't want to pay to watch the finale.

16. johnboy3441

johnboy3441 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 14, 2007
    Say hello to television and the internet.

17. Timewatch

Timewatch Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 2, 2008
    Movies on the internet are usually low quality, and the high quality ones want you to willingly download adware that ususally corrupts your computer. I would know through experience.

And so, no, no finale movie. It'd be a big flop all over again, no matter how good it would be. I'm still advocating for a movie or something about what happens to the Separatist holdouts. We know a few get crushed, but that's it. No movie about the annoying Ahsoka, who better mature through the seasons...

18. DeadOrAlive

DeadOrAlive Jedi Youngling star 2

May 15, 2009
    I don't understand. If the finale is made into a theatrical film, how would I go about watching it legally on the internet? And why would it be shown on television? Wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of a theatrical release?

19. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    It was only inferior in the regard that a TV pilot for a new studio is inferior. There were still kinks in the animation and storytelling that work themselves out in any series. Unfortunately, when you put that pilot on a spotlight with a national theatrical release, all of those production warts are extra visible.

I know what you're saying, but I really think there is something different between the two different forms of media (TV and film). If you took the biggest and best, most expensive episode of your favorite TV show (say Battlestar Galactica), and released it as a theatrical experience, it would be viewed as inferior. Not only are the critics completely different, but the scope and quality of production are still vastly different. Even the most high quality TV would be perceived as medium or low budget by As much as TV has evolved, the difference is still there.

The fact is that Clone Wars was never, ever designed for big screen production. If it was, it would probably look more like The Old Republic trailer. It does not visually live up to the animated blockbusters of this era.

Plus, after several seasons of devotion to a story, I would be annoyed to be expected to venture to the theaters to finish it.

20. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    In my opinion, the strength of the Clone Wars series is in its 20-minute format, which allows for small-scale, intimate stories. Look at, say, "Innocents of Ryloth", one of best episodes of the series so far, and compare it with the feature, which was mostly sensory overload.

The finale will hopefully not be another 100 minute action-fest but rather a character-driven story arc told in maybe three episodes.

21. MasterMonkey13

MasterMonkey13 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 19, 2008
    A theatrical final sounds like a good idea to me. Of course critics will probably bash it, but they did the same with the Prequels and the original Clone Wars movie. I've never really been concerned with critics, they're nerf-herders. :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.