main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Would you watch a no-holds-barred, non-kid-friendly SW show?

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Darth Valkyrus, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Darth Valkyrus

Darth Valkyrus Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 12, 2013
    Assuming one was ever made.

One with GoT levels of violence onscreen - disembowelment, throat slicing, gushing blood. And cussing. Lots of cussing.

I mean, I don't know if such a show would even fly. SW has for 37 years built up an image of being family entertainment, kid-friendly, and everything to come out of it has followed that mold. I imagine some people would feel kinda betrayed if a highly-adult, not-for-kids SW show was made.

If nothing else, they'd have to very heavily emphasize in trailers and promotional material prior to the show's debut that it was an adult-orientated show not for kids. And it should be shown in a late night mature content slot. The last thing you would want is unsuspecting parents sitting down with their children and then sending in angry complaints enmasse when their kids were traumatized by a graphic Force-crush, or someone interrogated using "The Burning" or something.

But I'd definitely watch it.

2. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    No, I wouldn't even what passes as 'kid-friendly' in what we already have isn't really.

Quiet_Mandalorian likes this.
  3. iPodwithnomusic

iPodwithnomusic Jedi Master star 3

Nov 23, 2012
    I wouldn't watch it, not into that much violence. Also, I'm pretty sure that show would never happen :p

4. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    Would I watch it? Yes. But I'd likely give anything carrying the Star Wars name a shot, even Detours (which I felt looked pretty bad).

Would it be successful? Probably not.

By alienating the kids and the largest segment of the fanbase, I would think a show would be doomed to flop, lose Disney millions of dollars, and not be a good move in growing the property.

5. SuperPersch

SuperPersch Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2004
    None of that sounds at all what Star Wars is to me. So no. I mean I would have to check it out to see how it was, but if it were anything like what you've suggested, then it probably wouldn't resonate with me, and I wouldn't continue to watch.

Chewgumma likes this.
  6. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    It wouldn't necessarily flop. Adult spin-offs to family friendly properties have proven successful to some degree in the past (Example: Torchwood). The controversy such a show would generate would guarantee plenty of free publicity, which in turn would generate plenty of viewers. That would make the first season or two a viable option for anyone who wanted to commission such a project.

However, I'm not interested in seeing such a show. It's why I never got into a lot of the EU and never really warmed up to the pitch we were given about Star Wars: Underworld. It's not an adult franchise, and I think any attempt to make it so just misses the point.

Darth Valkyrus likes this.
  7. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    IMO the cussing wouldn't fit in with Star Wars, just because it has its own curse words. Even in the movies–the three that actually had cussing, ANH, ESB, and AOTC–had exactly 5 curse words, IIRC. Other than that, TCW's movie had one (or two?) and the show had a few which were all edited out. And even those curse words were what people today would consider "minor" curse words. Except in a few EU books where the authors didn't seem to realize there were Star Wars alternatives available, there have never been modern-day curse words aside from those you heard in the movies proper.

8. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Don't even want to give GoT a chance, so.. no.

9. Sgt Crowfield

Sgt Crowfield Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 27, 1999
    I would watch it. I don't know if I would like it, though. The same goes for the exact opposite: if it was too much Cinderella-style Disney, I might not like it, either.

10. CommanderDrenn

CommanderDrenn Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 19, 2013
    I think something like 'Star Trek', which takes itself seriously, but I watched it as a young kid, would be the best. So, a little more mature than the Clone Wars.

TKT, TaradosGon and Revanfan1 like this.
  11. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I feel like Star Wars has always been fine as is. I am not super happy about the super kid-friendly bits like Jar Jar, fart jokes, ewoks, or Jedi Rocks. I would like a return to form more to what we saw in ANH and ESB. Fun adventures with humor - largely in the form of character banter - without going too far into slapstick or fart jokes.

I think "darkness" can be reserved for moments when characters are tempted by the Dark Side for instance - like when Luke goes into an outburst rage and cuts off his father's hand, or when Anakin goes to the temple to kill the Jedi - though I think the bit with the kids took it too far.

And while I hated the political scenes of the prequels (specifically TPM), more because of their execution, not because I hated the very idea, I actually wouldn't mind more of an infusion of "Star Trek" when it comes to such matters and articulating why things are happening. I don't think things necessarily need to be dumbed down, and in some instances they shouldn't be. What exactly the Trade Federation was doing or why they felt it was legal to blockade a planet's trade in protest of taxation, was glossed over for instance, and I felt at a loss for most of the film as to what was going on.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  12. CGI-BOBAFENT

CGI-BOBAFENT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2002
    I would be a little sad if something went that route. Star Wars is space opera, get too heavy or gritty and it loses the heart of what it is (NJO I'm looking at you!)

13. Sir Chem

Sir Chem Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 26, 2013
    Would I watch it? Probably not, since I hate most of the stuff that passes for "mature" nowadays. To be honest, I think the darkest they would be able to go without alienating a lot of fans is like the Dark Knight Trilogy. Dark, and relatively realistic, but not trying too hard, I feel.

14. DarthTalgus

DarthTalgus Force Ghost star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Well if all of that disembowelment happened to Jar Jar i would happily watch it

15. Darth Maul Apprentice

Darth Maul Apprentice Jedi Master star 4

Jan 27, 2014
    I would definitely watch it. It would be nice to see storm troopers who can actually hit people, instead of blowing half their shots. You'd think the Empire would train them better. The show wouldn't have to have cussing per se, but definitely up the action/violence. It would be awesome.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    I'd definitely give it a try.

17. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Absolutely. But I'm not rooting for one to be made.

18. Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes

Fives_Says_No_To_Sixes Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 6, 2013

^ this.

19. EternalHero

EternalHero Jedi Master star 3

Feb 17, 2014
    Sounds stupid to me. If you want to watch a no-holds barred adult TV show, watch something other than SW.

20. kecen

kecen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 12, 2005
    I'd watch a Star Wars show where the villains are the "good guys" - that's the real measure of how adult a series can get.

21. anotherdemon

anotherdemon Jedi Knight star 2

Apr 29, 2013
    Yeah, because all of that is totally more kid friendly than getting vaporized in vacuum.

22. Trebor Sabreon

Trebor Sabreon Former Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 15, 2010
    That about sums it up, doesn't it?

Ah... I'm not going to even try to predict with any degree of certainty whether it would ultimately "work," or not, but I'm certainly not going to condemn such an idea to failure before I've seen the final product.

I think that, as a fairly radical departure from what most consider SW to be, the deck would likely be stacked against it to begin with. But if it were really, really well made, word of mouth might work to turn enough folks on and get behind it, and then who knows? I wouldn't bet my life on something like this succeeding, but you never know.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Hell yeah, I'd watch it. I'd like to see a version of Breaking Bad set in the lower levels of Coruscant.

I'm fine if it never gets made but I would watch it in a heartbeat if it did.

24. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I'd watch it if it was well written. It'd allow writers to tell certain kinds of stories set in the SW universe that they otherwise wouldn't be able to.

Unfortunately, I doubt it will ever happen. Some of the novels are more adult-orientated than you'll ever probably see on screen though, like The New Jedi Order or the recent Maul: Lockdown.

25. The Shadow Emperor

The Shadow Emperor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 29, 2012
    I probably wouldn't. Unless it stars Cad Bane or something.