main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

would your collecting habits change if you won the lottery?

Discussion in 'Collecting' started by SithAboveAll, Feb 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithAboveAll

SithAboveAll Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 8, 2005
    say you won, and you're pretty comfortable for life. and say you arent someone that buys entire lines and every item. if you won, would you go straight to ebay and get everything you havent been getting, or would you still pick and choose what you want to add to your collection?

i'd still pick and choose. as of now i collect full lines of things, but not every line. though some i might if money was no option, (like the galactic hero's). i know i wouldnt go back and buy every figure though, so i'd still be more select about that.

you?

2. k3po

k3po Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 21, 2001
    I would keep doing my normal collecting habits.

3. RolandofGilead

RolandofGilead Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2001
    Well, I think it wouldn't change too much. I might be more apt to buy more Sideshow, or Master Replica items than I can afford now, but I don't think I'd go crazy.

All my new girlfriends wouldn't like it. ;)

4. Zelda_Skywalker

Zelda_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 4, 2005
    It would make me worse! Everytime I get 20 bucks...it's like...

BUT I WANT TO GO TO WALMART!

why?

TO BUY SOME STAR WARS STUFF!

TEEHEE

5. SithAboveAll

Feb 8, 2005
    i know master replicas, sideshow and gentle giant would be getting a lot of money from me....

6. robertyodarugenstein

robertyodarugenstein Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 9, 2002
    It depends on how much I won. For me I would add on to our house to have more room for my collection. After that I would start buying more Gentile Giant, Sideshow, Code 3, and Master Replica. The real expensive stuff.

7. echo-3

echo-3 Former RSA star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2002
    Yes
    I would beat Steve Sansweet for the best collection on the planet!

8. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    If I won the lottery...and had unlimited spending potential how would this affect my collecting spending??? Well let's see I don't have children to worry about - so my collection would certainly get priority status!

First thing I'd do, prior to going on a SW spending spree, is build my dream house w/ my dream home theater and then plan out the specially modified SW rooms. The rooms would be designed around my getting specific items that I'd want to pick up and to showcase what I've already got.

Once the rooms were finished - Grail items to be purchased: a life-sized Han Solo in Carbonite replica, I'd also get one of those huge LFL bronze Yoda statues to hang out in the peaceful garden by my giant reflective, lap swimming pool, and then I'd hunt down the FAO Schwartz Padme trunk.

If I could have my way, I'd probably tile my whole pool w/ a SW design also, maybe w/ Naboo symbols or large Queen Amidala costume designs.

I think if I had unlimited resources - or limited enough where I could fulfill my wildest fantasties w/o going broke I'd probably go for some very nice items and very non-traditional ways of expressing my love for the films. Sure I'd snatch up some other collectibles that I long for, but for the most part I don't think I'd go completeist crazy or anything. I've already got loads of stuff and would probably concentrate on locating some "WOW" items to really make my collection shine! :D

9. AmmersVI

AmmersVI Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 25, 2005
    Echo-3, That would have to be a very large lotto jackpot to be able to pull that off! :)

10. Dal--Intrepid

Dal--Intrepid Jedi Master star 5

Mar 13, 2002
    I actually sort of have this planned out as I intend on winning the lottery . . .

I would immediately start work on a Star Wars game room. I'd hunt down vintage SW arcade games first and a couple of cool SW pinball machines. Eventually I'd work in some of the newer arcade games. I'd have a huge flat screen mounted to the wall with various gaming systems from Atari to XBox 360 routed into it with all the appropriate SW games. The walls would be decorated with a life-size Han in Carbonite and various vintage Star Wars movie posters. I'd also throw in the Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom arcade game as I was a sucker for that one as a kid.

Oh, and I'd most likely finish off my Sigma ceramics collection.

So yeah, there might be a change in focus. [face_money_eyes]

11. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Forgot to mention that a replica Darth Vader costume and the new Master Replica's Anakin Skywalker costumes would be "must-haves" [face_love]

12. CrazyMike

CrazyMike Former Mod & RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 4, 2000
    I cannot imagine how much my collecting habits would change but I think that it would be very safe to say that I would have a collection that would make my current one look like I have nothing at all :)

13. Jedi_Riibu

Jedi_Riibu Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2001
    Honestly, I don't know that my buying habits would change *too* much. I would stick to collecting the things I like, but I'd be able to buy the higher end items that I like, but right now can't justify spending the money on. I wouldn't start buying every single thing made, though. And I'd have to buy a house to put everything in, first.

14. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Now there's a shocking statement for you :p

15. YodaJeff

YodaJeff Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 18, 2001
    Mine would change some. I'd still primarily focus on Yoda, but I could pick up a few of the items that I've been holding out on because they currently sell for way more than I think they are worth.

16. Siths_Revenge

Siths_Revenge Jedi Youngling star 7

Jul 27, 2004
    They wouldn't change much. I'd finally get that Count Dooku MR I've wanted for a long time. Had to settle on the scaled replica.

17. Padme-Wan_SkyWindu

Padme-Wan_SkyWindu Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2002
    This is pretty much the way it would be for me, too.

18. BaronFel88

BaronFel88 Jedi Knight star 7

Jan 25, 2004
    Most definitely. The first thing that comes to mind would be getting all the SW Lego sets (e.g. the UCS sets, Cloud City, etc) I don't have.

19. Darth_Laudrup

Darth_Laudrup Jedi Master star 4

Jul 7, 2004
    Ofcourse they would.

I would buy almost every single Star Wars thing MR & Code 3 has made (except the FX sabers) and a wonderful cabinet to display them.

Kitster rules.

20. Jedijace007

Jedijace007 Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 3, 2002
    nah, i wouldnt change my collecting habits. Besides saga 06 I now only collect every vader and fett figure ever made (moc) and my only missing pieces are the 12-back vader and 21 back fett. I'd buy them, and then retire from collecting (and work :) )

onward

21. Rebel_Spook

Rebel_Spook Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2002
    My collecting habits would definitely change. Right now, I am collecting more than I can really afford to, so if I won the lottery, I would no longer spend more than my budget... :D

I, too, would be building a custom home, though the Star Wars room would likely be a large out-building (picture something like a large barn). I would fill it with display cases for all the Gentle Giant, Code 3, LEGO, Legends in 3D, and MR collectibles. But the walls would be clear for as many original one-sheets I could find. The only toys I would go after would be vintage figures, vehicles, and playsets; and the Action Fleet ships.

22. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Well, you're awfully lucky to win the lottery AND be happy & comfortable with life. I'd say bank the $ after paying off debts and get a better job.
    Forget the toys.

If I won the lottery... I'd be paying off my house and other debts. Use the leftovers to buy another house or some nice stable stock.

As for collectables... Nope. Not worth it. Considering the time and storage, not even the best item in my collection would be worth the trouble for the return.
    Still on the card G.I.Joe stormshadow from 1987 sold for $200. Sounds great. Except that for 18 years I've had to take care of it and all the other toys whenever I moved from place to place. Considering that I moved 5 times (about once every 3 years) that's a lot of work. Sure, that one toy went for 400 times what I paid. Most of my stuff, however, I'm lucky if I get what I paid for it. Sure, some goes for 2-4 times the original price, but breaking even has to be considered a success. What SW figures went for when I sold them off was about 20-50% of what I paid for them. That isn't a good return in any way, shape, or form.

So, no, wouldn't change my collecting habits one bit. I'm selling out!

23. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Assuming I won enough to be set for life, I'd buy a larger home (two-bedroom flat at the moment and the second bedroom is very small. I use it as a den). Then I would hopefully be able to find a
    life-size Boba Fett statue to display in my new home.

24. JediJunkie247

JediJunkie247 Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 24, 2002
    Here's my plan if I won the lottery and were set for life with no other worries:

1. Pay off credit card

2. Pay off student loan

3. Buy new house

4. Have a child (it takes money to pay for these things ;))

5. Buy new cars

6. Get my wife a couple more animals (dog, cats)

7. Last but not least, I would probably add a couple of MR lightsabers to my collection.

All in all, I don't think my collecting habits would change that dramatically. As you can see, I'm kinda practical and there are other things I would be concerned with before going collector crazy.

25. SithAboveAll

Feb 8, 2005
    well yea, i would take care of all the other things as well. but i was asking just about the collecting aspect if you were set for life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.