main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Wouldn't C3PO remember the Skywalker name in ANH?

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by cdillon, Oct 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdillon

cdillon Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 25, 2003
    We know that C3PO was made by Anikan Skywalker, wouldn't he remember that name when he meets Luke and wouldn't when him and Kenobi are talking about Luke's father wouldn't he rememeber? Sorry if this has been posted before.

2. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    He wouldn't remember because he gets a memory wipe according to Lucas.

3. Lightsabre

Lightsabre Fan Force Founder star 4 VIP

Nov 12, 1999
    What about Anakin? Does his memory get 'wiped' too? He encounters 3PO and R2 many times as Vader.

4. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Vader never sees R2. That's a common misconception. And he only sees 3PO one time, when he's in pieces on Chewie's back. And a protocol droid of which there are millions in the galaxy, who is in dim light thirty feet away on the back of someone else, is not going to be instantly recognizable.

Even if he did recognize him, what's he going to say? "Hey, I owned that droid! Oh, yeah, continue with the freezing."

On the other hand, one could argue that he did recognize 3PO, and that's why he stopped Boba from shooting.

5. CRASHNEBULA

CRASHNEBULA Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2003
    wasn't there mention of a cut scene in TESB where vader rips out 3-po's mechanical heart?

6. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    probably, but they used it in Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

7. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Vader never encounters Artoo; he was in the same room as Threepio in the carbon-freezig chamber, but they didn't interact.

8. HaydenSeek

HaydenSeek Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 12, 2003
    He gets his memory flashed

9. Salacious_B_Crumb

Salacious_B_Crumb Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 12, 2002
    I guess that the MIB are in the GFFA as well.

SBC

10. Naboo1

Naboo1 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 19, 2003
    There's a really neat story in the SW Tales magazine, where on Bespin, the Imperial troops bring in Threepio's damaged body.

Darth Vader picks up Threepio's head, and has a flashback to where he and Kitster found the droid in the junkyard behind Watto's shop.

Vader ends up turning the droid back to the Rebels.

11. Lightsabre

Nov 12, 1999
    Vader never sees R2.
    Wrong. Plus we have one movie to go.

...a protocol droid of which there are millions in the galaxy, who is in dim light thirty feet away on the back of someone else, is not going to be instantly recognizable.
    A common argument, but his voice is unique and he was to talking in that scene.

Even if he did recognize him, what's he going to say? "Hey, I owned that droid! Oh, yeah, continue with the freezing."
    Yes.

12. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    Wrong. Plus we have one movie to go.

Oh, yeah, I forgot about the glimpse he has of R2's dome when pursuing Luke in the trench. Because we all know that only one droid in the entire galaxy has that particular dome. And that Vader has good enough eyesight to see all the details of R2.

And what exactly does Episode III have to do with this? We're talking about Vader seeing him in the OT. Of course he's seen him in the PT, R2's kind of been tagging along since the escape from Naboo.

A common argument, but his voice is unique and he was to talking in that scene.

30 feet away, over the sounds of heavy machinery. I'm sure Vader can distinguish him from every other protocol droid with that level of clarity. Not to mention, how do you know his voice is unique? We've heard, what, three protocol droids? They're programmed, so it makes sense that more than one is programmed with the same voice.

Yes.

Right. And why, exactly, would he do that?

13. Lightsabre

Nov 12, 1999
    Oh, yeah, I forgot about the glimpse he has of R2's dome when pursuing Luke in the trench.

So Vader does see R2.

And what exactly does Episode III have to do with this?

More than likely where 3PO has his memory erased and this relates directly to the question of this thread.

How do you know his voice is unique?
    How do we know it's not. How many desert slaves build a protocol droid? Is there a special mail-order kit from BLAMMO?

And why, exactly, would he do that?
    That was a joke.

14. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Naboo1: I read that too! Sometimes, EU is magic :)

15. Luke_SW

Luke_SW Jedi Master star 2

Apr 13, 2003
    remember that back when the OT's were written, Lucas was 2 decades away from deciding that Anakin would be the one to build 3PO
    if it was never intended in the first place, then there really isn't anything to question about it

16. Onizuka

Onizuka Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 9, 2003
    For those who say Vader should remember C3PO 'cuz he builds it himself...maybe you forget that in ROTJ...

Luke: I have accepted the truth that you were once Anakin Skywalker, my father.

Vader: That name no longer has any meanings to me!

If Anakin even has no meaning to Vader...why bother 3PO?

17. DarthLazious

DarthLazious Jedi Youngling star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Yeah really.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.