main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WOW

Discussion in 'Archive: Scifi 3D Forum' started by fireresq7, Jul 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fireresq7

fireresq7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey maybe I'm a little late here but have any of you guys seen this:
    Clickie

This is the disscussion board it's from
    clickie

I am so amazed by this guys work ...

~Rory

2. Jedi2016

Jedi2016 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 3, 2000
    Nothing particularly special about the model.. anyone with the patience and proper references can create one just as good. That one also has a few accuracy issues, regardless of how "good" it looks.

3. Darth_Steven

Darth_Steven Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 14, 2002
    I was at this forum this morning and I think that this is one of the best R2 units out there. The animation is nice but it doesn't show off the effort and work put into the model.

His dirt maps and textures are excellently painted. This model may not be 100% accurate but it's a pretty close second to ILM's.

Later
    Steve

4. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    well i guess us inexperienced guys are easliy impressed!

5. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    Yeah I'll ditto that "wow". The movement was done very well.

6. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    The funny thing is if you read the thread he explains that he didn't even put alot of attention on the animation. It was mostly a texture test. He was nit picking the whole animation! And I 'm thinking "wow I don't see any of these flaws he's mentioning"

I guess only the creators notice all their imperfections!!!

~Rory

7. Rebel Scumb

Rebel Scumb Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 22, 1999
    is it hard to do that whole zoom thing? It adds such a believeability to it to have all the camera movements that a real camera would have.

8. Mushiman

Mushiman Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 8, 2002
    here is my video with R2-D2 in it. It was difficult to get the actress to talk to nothing, but i think she did a good job. :)

9. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Hey Mushiman ..good work! The part where R2 leaves and the camera moves...was that real camera movement or digital movement?

~Rory

10. Cryptite_

Cryptite_ Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2004
    Rebel Scumb: I would agree with you in a way. It has been my experience in the past that CG Camera movement can either go very well or very badly. Often, all it takes is the wrong setting of keyframes to kill it. However, all it usually takes is a bit of time and refining, plus knowing a few tricks of the trade..

11. Dr. Jones

Dr. Jones Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 6, 2000
    The texture work is really excellent. But the wireframe shows a very impressive meh, very high poly for what it is I think.

12. George Mezori SCIFI 3D

George Mezori SCIFI 3D Scifi 3D Forum star 4 VIP

Sep 10, 1999
    Mike has spent probably 100's of hours making that R2 unit. He has access to ex-ILM staff and private references. So I think it's probably on the level or above ILM's own CGI version. It's like a 50MB model.. check the wires... very detailed. I think he knows what he's doing.

13. fireresq7

Oct 24, 2002
    Still.....it's impressive to a CG R2 that doesn't even look CG. In AOTC you can tell when he's CG (Atleast I think so)!This is much better!

~Rory

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.