main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC WPLG Local 10 Miami Bully the 501st Legion!

Discussion in 'Community' started by LordStarwalker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. LordStarwalker

LordStarwalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2010
    FYI in case you were not aware of this post Celebration VI event:
    http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/09/cyber-bullying-towards-star-wars-fans-not-cool/

http://www.chicagonow.com/portrait-...or-cyberbullying-the-star-wars-fans/#comments

A Facebook group has formed by the name of WPLG Local 10 Owes Star Wars Fans a Formal Public Apology: http://www.facebook.com/groups/142539569221352

If you wish to help us respond to the WPLG Local 10's offensive content and cyber bullying actions, please join fellow fans and members of the Star Wars community on Facebook.

2. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    You know, this morning I was angry at the news station for their absolutely horrible album of photos.

Right now, a lot of that rage has started being aimed toward the people that keep attributing the news station taking down the album to "the hard work of the 501st."

... Because all the other fangroups don't matter.

mrsvos and Handmaiden_Yane like this.
  3. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Having had the "pleasure" to see the slideshow of pictures with their jackass-laden commentary, piss-poor jokes at the expense of Mark Hamill of all people, and all the flat out insulting toward everyone they could get their camera on, I can honestly say that the station really made an ass of itself on a grand scale. Not to mention that almost every one of the pictures was taken in a paparazzi-esque manner designed to capture fans at awkward angles, texting, adjusting their costume, or taking a moment to rest, in order to make them look for slovenly and "nerdy".

Their handling of the situation was also terrible. When they were rightly called out on it all, they removed the slideshow from their site, and thought it would be funny to post a snarky, half-assed, "don't really care" apology on Facebook, deleting any subsequent comments that called them out on that, before removing the post altogether. It seems like as far as they're concerned, it didn't happen. But the posts on their FB page's wall keep coming in, and even Ashley Eckstein's calling 'em out.

And yes, it wasn't the just the 501st, though they do always seem to get the credit for things like this. All respect to them for contributing, but the station also pissed of the Mando Mercs and the Rebel Legion, not to mention every random fan who they attempted to humiliate, and all the rest who just see no point in doing something like that to begin with. I personally emailed them, more than once because my first email was a little...."emotional", let's say, and posted a few comments on their FB page, as well.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  4. LordStarwalker

LordStarwalker Jedi Youngling

Jul 22, 2010
  5. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I don't think this would happen with my local ABC affiliate (WZZM TV-13), because one of the on-air personalities is a big SW fan.

6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Lolcal news.

7. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    I look forward to their gallery from the next Dolphins game with every caption being "Does this guy know he's not on the team?"

8. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    Florida.

Handmaiden_Yane likes this.
  9. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Yeah that's my issue. Geek Mom only thanks the 501st for their work in stopping this cyber bulling, and everyone now keeps claiming that the news station needs to apologize to the 501st and personally apologize to Albin. No, they need to apologize to EVERYONE. I love Albin and all, but this isn't just a 501st issue.

Lowbacca_1977 likes this.
  10. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Also, I didn't realise Bob Eubanks transferred to a tv station in Florida

Miana Kenobi likes this.
  11. Handmaiden Yané

Handmaiden Yané Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 15, 2002
    I was pretty incensed when I saw this and made a comment on their Facebook page.

Did anyone screen capture their snarky FB apology? Would've liked to have seen it and responded it to in kind.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Since the slideshow was taken down, I can't really make a broader judgment, but that caption under the Obi-Wan seems really innocuous, if unfunny.

13. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i really couldnt care less.

obviously, as a cyber-bully, im biased but i think it stops being "cyber-bullying" when the party being ridiculed is a grown-ass adult, (though apparently not all in this slideshow were)

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001
    I'm of two minds on this.

I do hate that kind of snark and think the people who did it are jerks (especially for any kid pics) but I'm surprised anyone even saw fit to respond at all. Demanding a formal apology seems a little sanctimonious. I said, "A little!"

I'd be more for guerilla warfare, spamming their sites, prank calling their phone lines, etc. but I guess I'm just a sink to their level kind of guy.

15. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    how about being a grown ass adult and moving on with your life instead of being an even more giant nerd about it like these people apparently thought was a good solution

16. mrsvos

mrsvos Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 18, 2005
    Some MOD burned me on the Florida 501st board the other day. Uncalled for. They're no angels.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I sent both the local station and the national organization an email when I first saw this. It's rather pathetic that any professional considered that journalism and gave it the green light.

19. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I think the root cause of this is the same reason you see a lot of WTF moments from local news on YouTube and the like - news anchors trying to be funny. It's like - if you were reliably funny, you probably wouldn't be a local news anchor.