main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Wreck-It Ralph

Discussion in 'Community' started by JoinTheSchwarz , Sep 13, 2012.

1. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    UK Trailer:

Darth_Deception likes this.
  2. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Looks even better than the other trailers. I'm looking more and more forward to this.

3. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    The Wreck-it Ralph official movie website has games based on the original ones in the movie. The Fix-it Felix Jr. game feels just like an old-school arcade game.

4. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    I love Talking Heads! Clever use of their music

5. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    double post

6. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Okay, I have to be the total spoil sport and say that I haven't really liked any of the trailers for this film. I mean the premise and involvement of real classic games is cool, but the film itself looks kind of lame. I'd love to be surprised by it, but I just don't get why everyone's so excited about it.

7. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    Someone never grew up in the 1980s playing video games in an arcade, I see.....

8. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I grew up playing a ton of video games, including arcade games. More the early 90s than the 80s, but they were still the same games. That's not the point. The point is that I don't think the film actually looks very funny.

9. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    After seeing both trailers for the film, my reaction is tepid at best. I think Bowser is the only real selling point for me, but I think they'd need to include Ganon before I'd be sold.

But yeah, the overarching plot (from what I could tell just from the trailers) looks a bit trite, cliched, and uninteresting. Maybe I'll be surprised, but I think I'm going to give this one a pass until it's on DVD.

(Side note: After this preview came on in the theater, my best friend nudged me afterward and said, "Andrew, this is your kind of movie!" My response: "I like video games but generally not video game movies." :p)

10. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
  11. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    It's like they've developed the atomic bomb of nostalgia.

12. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Reminds me of the fake 80's toy commercials they did for Toy Story 3.

13. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    You aren't the only one.
    I liked it better when it was called "ReBoot".
    This looks like some schmaltzy kiddie-flick that has tons of potential that will never be realized because it cannot figure out who their target audience is or what their actual concept will be.
    I would love to be proven wrong about that, but the trailers make it look to me like it will be another homogenized Disney mess. Probably targeted at kiddies, but loaded with jokes that they don't get, and while the adults may get them, I suspect the inane plot will turn them off.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I don't think a comparison to ReBoot is fair- ReBoot was more Tron-like than Toy Story-like. ReBoot had characters that were, effectively, pre-existing generic computer programs that had game content interjected into their lives at random to insert themselves into. Here, Wreck It Ralph is the reverse: a world of pre-existing, defined, game characters removing themselves from their content.

Darth_Deception likes this.
  15. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    I think everyone is excited because, while the concept of seeing the imaginary world we never get to see has been done before (toy story, bug's life), it's never been done with video games (at least not well or high-profile). And it involves actual video game characters, which is cool. It'll surely be filled with video-game satire, which many generations will appreciate. Plus Disney seems to be taking it seriously/is excited about it (stuff like the pixelated logo is just cool stuff they don't have to do), and Disney can make quality product when it wants to. AND the main guy is hilarious/it has a good cast! (reilly, silverman, mcbreyer, and lynch just seem like a good team for this, to me)

16. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    in a word: AndrAIa.
    They know they are sprites/video game characters. They (seem to) know there is a user/player. They go game-hopping. Each game has different rules they have to learn.
    Granted, there are differences, but the first thing that came to mind watching the trailers was very much the flavor of ReBoot with jokes aimed at 6-8 year olds added in.

Maybe I'm wrong.
    Believe it or not, I hope so.

17. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    You can't very much compare a single character from a series to the entire premise of a movie.

18. JoinTheSchwarz

Nov 21, 2002
    I liked it better back when this was called Speed Racer.

jp-30 likes this.
  19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Caught it earlier this evening. Overall, it's not bad, but it's not Pixar-level. Oddly aimed at a younger audience despite the majority of references being for older games.

I'm a little dissapointed in that it really didn't take advantage of the game jumping concept- 85% of the movie is set in the candy racer game (and we really don't get to see it as a game world until towards the end, which makes it feel like they wrote a movie about a candyland racing game and then decided to add all the other game stuff) and the rest are Ralph's game, a brief time in Tapper, a brief run in Hero's Duty, the transit station and the location of the Bad Guy support group (which i wont spoil). Just seems like they could have done way more with that.

That said, there are some pretty hilarious lines ("She was programmed with the most tragic backstory ever!") and is fun enough overall.

20. Nobody145

Nobody145 Force Ghost star 5

Feb 9, 2007
    Its not Pixar-level, but still one of the better Disney films in years, and as a geek film, I loved it. The cameos were just cameos, but its still crazy seeing that many recognizable video icons (as well as other items from over the last few decades) used. Decent story, good animation, very good animation actually (like how the 8-bit characters of Ralph's game, aside from Ralph himself, all have that sprite like movement, none of that HD treatment, heh), and quality performances from everyone, like the over the top drill sergeant. With Vanellope being bratty but they got to her sad backstory soon enough. Also liked the music well enough, the pseudo 8-bit themes, the songs aside from the one by Owl City, not so much. Love the Wreck-It Ralph theme though (most of the old school games are so catchy, which is probably partially why they've endured).

Liked the part at the end where Vanellope decreed executions for everyone who was mean to her, obviously a joke, and Calhoun said this place just got interesting. And I'm used to killer sci-fi bugs, but killer bugs that were part candy seemed slightly creepy. And was turbo meant to refer to one of the Street Fighter II versions? I thought that was what they were referring to at first, especially as it was a Capcom character who first mentioned it, before the flashback which was foreshadowing for the villain reveal. Though now that I think about it, of course he would take over a racing game. I honestly haven't spent that much time in arcades, but have heard of most of the Street Fighter versions at least.

I wish the movie had jumped a few more genres, since they went from classic arcade to first-person shooter and then the candy racer, all of which were revealed in shooters already, but the graphics in most of them were all quite nice so guess its ok.

Still mostly just glad they managed to squeeze in so many cameos and it was a very good video game movie. I just still love the part where Ralph is panicking in Hero's Duty, asking when video games got so violent and scary. As I'm not that much of a fan of first-person shooting, I just love that kind of satire.

21. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah, the "got interesting" bit was great.

I don't think Turbo has anything to do with SF2 (though I also came to that initial conclusion since SF2 Turbo was a famous release of that series). Just a name that could describe an old racer game, pre-Rad Racer-style.

22. DarthIntegral

DarthIntegral JCC Baseball Draft/SWC Draft Commish star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jul 13, 2005
    Went and watched it today. It certainly met my high expectations. A fun flick with enough for kids and enough for the adults. It's not on the end of the highest level Pixar, no, but it's not that far off, either.

23. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Just got home from it, and really enjoyed it. Some predictable bits.... as soon as they mentioned the name of that one location, I knew the gimmick that would happen with it. I liked the references I picked up on, and wonder how much more I missed. As I'm sure it's a lot.

24. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    This was a good quip except it inadvertently implied that you enjoyed some iteration of the Speed Racer franchise.

25. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I let out many a high-pitched giggle/squee/laugh in this movie. Like the oreos.

26. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    That part was great. Also..... Leeroy Jenkins!