main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Write a cool summary of the OT.

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Revious Nugo, Sep 14, 2014.

1. Revious Nugo

Revious Nugo Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 14, 2014
    These cool lines from the ROTS novelization summarizes the prequel trilogy beautifully:

This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
    It is already over. Nothing can be done to change it.
    It is a story of love and loss, brotherhood and betrayal, courage and sacrifice and the death of dreams. It is the story of the blurred lines between our best and our worst. It is the story of the end of an age.
    A strange thing about stories-
    Though this all happened so long ago and so far away that words cannot describe the time or the distance, it is also happening right now.

Try to write a cool summary like this for the Original Trilogy.

2. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."

Anybody know who really wrote that? I'm guessing either Alan Dean Foster or George Lucas.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  3. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    The thing for ROTS is awesome but this,
    "They were in the wrong place at the wrong time. Naturally they became heroes."
    works.

Revious Nugo likes this.
  4. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014
    Words are too hollow and paltry to do these films justice. This trilogy must be watched to truly understand the glorious epic heights achieved by this masterpiece.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's in the novelization of ANH - ghostwritten by Alan Dean Foster on George's Lucas's behalf. Though its not clear which lines are original to Foster, and which leftovers from early drafts.

6. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I think that was the question - we don't know exactly what parts of the novel came from which of them.

Iron_lord likes this.
  7. Darth_Nub

Darth_Nub Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 26, 2009

Pretty sure that anything that isn't in the scripts themselves was from Alan Dean Foster (like Luke remembering a dog he used to own, or the line from Obi-Wan about how a duck must learn to swim), although there's probably a handful of references he used from discussions with GL, similar to the reference in the ESB novelisation by Donald F Glut which describes Boba Fett as wearing the armour of a group of warriors defeated by the Jedi during the Clone Wars.

The "wrong place at the wrong time" quote really doesn't sound like GL came up with it, IMHO. It's a touch too self-aware for the approach he was taking towards the story he was creating, which was very much about playing it all straight and allowing it to work, with any humour evolving naturally from the characters and scenarios. It's also somewhat out of place, being a 'contemporary' quote/soundbite from Leia placed alongside the historical reference from the Journal of the Whills which was included in earlier script drafts.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Whiny kid leaves home, makes out with his sister, and narrowly avoids being roasted alive by a band of teddy bears. Also meets his dad and they have a grand old time together.

9. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    Everything you see is meaningless because one of the supporting characters is the chosen one.

lovelikewinter and MOC Yak Face like this.
  10. Luke'sSeveredHand

Luke'sSeveredHand Jedi Master star 4

Jul 21, 2014
    That synopsis *almost* has a Faulkner-esque style about it. Reminds me of this passage from "Intruder in the Dust":

"It's all now you see. Yesterday won't be over until tomorrow and tomorrow began ten thousand years ago. For every Southern boy fourteen years old, not once but whenever he wants it, there is the instant when it's still not yet two o'clock on that July afternoon in 1863...."

11. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    A vast space fantasy with too fine a narrow scope. Very stilted in presentation. A rebellion whose cause is undefined and an Empire considered evil without credence given half way through the first feature.

The second attempts to be philoshipcial and weighty, ultimately falling flat.

The conclusion is the glimmer of hope as it conveys the unselfish faith and power of love leading to redemption.

12. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    The story of a boy, a girl and a galaxy.

Yanksfan and MOC Yak Face like this.
  13. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who found those trailers weirdly memorable.

MOC Yak Face and Force Smuggler like this.
  14. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012

I know the original trailers (back in 1977) said universe but watching this trailer every time before ANH in the 90's got me pumped for SW.

15. Meyerm

Meyerm Jedi Padawan star 2

Aug 17, 2014
    Explosion, explosion, hot girl, slug thing, explosion.

For Michael Bay.

16. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Unless your name is GL ;)

17. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004

Bring back retro trailers!

Force Smuggler likes this.
  18. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    Because we know that's not how it would go down nowadays.

19. Among the Clouds

Among the Clouds Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 18, 2001
    I wonder if Abrams will take the retro route with the trailers and posters, just as he seems to be doing with certain elements of the film. That would be very interesting.

I do fondly remember those trailers. Gosh. Seems so long since I last saw that one. "Special effects without a story is pretty boring." That's probably one of the best things GL ever said.

20. xx_Anakin_xx

xx_Anakin_xx Jedi Master star 4

Jan 9, 2008
    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, there were good guys, bad guys and a guy named Han Solo. The good guys defeated the bad guys only to find that the best guy was the worst guy. The worst guy and a good guy gone bad went on to rule the galaxy. Ultimately the good guy gone bad done gone good again and wiped out the worst guy, sacrificing his life to do so. After that, There were no more bad guys, only good guys... and Han Solo.

Revious Nugo and Sarge like this.
  21. Ackbar's Fishsticks

Ackbar's Fishsticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 25, 2013
    I like the closing lines of the OT novelization;

"The Empire was dead.
    Long live the Alliance."

22. Ganger

Ganger Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 1999