main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Challenge Writer With the Force- A Survivor Style Challenge--How can mav make it better next time?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by ForceWriter, May 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Seremela

Seremela Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_worried] Oi, that's bad. If it helps I'll gladly come over and kick him!

2. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Thanks for the thought. [:D]

I think I'll just let this go. The idea I have isn't appropriate for this challenge anyway, as it's about one of my OC's, and anyone who's read the story this OC comes from will know it's my story.

3. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    :( Really? Aie, that's too bad....

There's no idea you can use (or abuse) on one of the canon characters maybe? Those can always be written by anyone. Or a name- and occupation-change to throw everyone off track for your OC?

4. Aspiration

Aspiration Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 27, 2008
    Yesterday, or April 4th?

5. ForceWriter

ForceWriter Jedi Knight star 1

May 12, 2008
    Whew! I'm finally done with all the classes/tests I had to take for work! It took me much longer than I thought so once again I'm very sorry for the delay, but hopefully all of that is done with!

If anyone's mark up codes are showing or anything else that needs fixed let me know... I've not gotten much sleep the last few days so I could miss some pretty obvious things! :p

Bonus Challenge Voting!

Voting is a little different this time. You are only voting for your favorite, no OWTF vote. Please still include your reason for your vote. :)

Vote Deadline: Friday April 3rd 11:59 pm

Rules: Pretty much the same as always, no socks, no voting for yourself, no voting because you just like the character. I'm sure you all have the hang of it by now! ;)

Links to the entry threads:

Beyond the Saga

The Saga

Before the Saga

6. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    Just a reminder that votes are due soon, as Mavjade apparently isn't gonna post one.:-B

7. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Sent my vote in. And thanks for the reminder. I would have forgotten. ;)

8. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Thanks for posting the reminder. [:D] I could have sworn I did it Thursday night... 8-}

Bonus Challenge Reveal:

Entry 1 Land and Sea by Seremela

Entry 2 Betrayed by Aspiration

Entry 3 Living in the moment by earlybird-obi-wan

Entry 4 To sleep or not to sleep by Ceillean

BONUS Challenge Winner!

The winner of the Bonus Challenge and an automatic pass to the final three was decided almost unanimously (of course she couldn't vote for herself! :p) with a score of +4! Congratulations Seremela! =D==D=

Great job everyone! I was impressed with everyone's ability to use the letter L! :D

The next challenge will be posted tomorrow evening!

9. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    [face_blush] [face_blush] Thank you for liking this story. It sort of just came pouring out :eek:

I'm kind of sad now, because it's nearing it's end. The challenges made me write stories that would never have seen the light otherwise, I even wrote OC's! For me that was great to experience. And I love reading all the marvellous stories which came with all the challenges [face_dancing] [:D]

10. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    Y'know, Ceillean, it was pretty obvious which entry was yours.:p

Who got the other vote?

Seremela has a good point. There will be another of these afterwards, right? [face_batting][face_worried]

11. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Of course it was obvious which entry was mine. :p

Congrats, Seremela!

12. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Challenge Five: Songs of the Heart

For this challenge you are to write a song fic based around one of the following three songs:

Easy To Be Hard from Hair

Sun and Moon from Miss Saigon

I Dreamed a Dream from Le Miserables

The links are to the lyrics, but I'm sure you can find them on youtube if you want to hear them as well. You are allowed to change Earthisms in the song if need be but nothing else. The song must be included with the story but it doesn't have to be in the story. As in, your story must be based around one of the songs and you must have the lyrics somewhere with the story but the characters don't have to be singing... unless you want them to do so.
    If this is confusing let me know!

Deadlines, Reminders and Notes:

Entry Deadline: Monday April 13th at 11:59pm
    I'm going to go ahead and tell you all I don't know when after that I'll get them up, because my work schedule hasn't come out for that week. :( So I'm also not setting a voting deadline yet.

Max Word Count: 3,500 including lyrics.

~ Please remember to include the following:

Title:
    Characters/Pairings:
    Era:
    (Before, Saga, Beyond)
    Spoilers: (if applicable)
    Summary: (optional)
    Song:

~ If there are any mark up codes needed for your fic, please, please, please include them in your PM in this manner to make sure they get put in correctly:

{i] This is what you want italicized[/i]
    ** Please do put your song lyrics in italic mark up codes.

Good Luck and have fun![face_good_luck]

*Puts on disguise so those who hate song fics won't recognize me!* [face_cowboy]

13. Seremela

Jul 12, 2008
    Thanks Ceillean :)

OH, and I'm SO happy now that I can let the next one go! I mean, I can, can't I? Sorry, song-fics just aren't my thing :(

14. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    Yep, you can. Usually once you win immunity you still have to enter but since this was a special immunity you do not have to enter this challenge. You still must vote if you don't have a voting pass.

15. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    :_|:_|

Difficult task I sense ahead. :p

16. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    This is your reminder that your challenge five fics are due tomorrow!

17. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    You know, the Miss Saigon song aside, I hadn't heard of the other songs before. And now I can't get enough! :p
    I really want to watch those Musicals now. ;)

18. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Oh, please, please, please, don't watch the movie version of Hair! [face_praying][face_praying]
    Hair is my all time favorite musical, I've known it since I was about 8, which if you listen to some of the songs I kinda wonder what my parents were thinking letting me listen, but they say now and I realize it's true, I didn't know what most of it meant! 8-} . The movie completely destroys the plot of the show. They didn't even attempt to keep it similar.

I was so excited when I found the movie version and then I about cried cause the messed it up so badly. :_|

I've never seen Le Mis or Miss Saigon, which are situations I hope to rectify sooner rather than later, but I know the music (I'm afraid to watch movies now) and I love them just from the music!

I'm glad you enjoyed the songs, Ceillean! [:D]

19. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    You asked that the song lyrics be italicized. Do you mean like this, {i]like this[/i], or {i]like this[/i]?

20. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Just like you would normally put the mark up codes in for your story... {i]like this[/i]

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    So I was getting ready to work on posting the entries and I just got called into work (:mad: ... I'm really not happy about it either) and I have to be there in an hour. On the plus side unless everything blows up I should get off at midnight (EST) and I'll try my best to get them up when I get home.

Sorry everyone!

22. Aspiration

Nov 27, 2008
    Hey Mavjade, you missed some of the italics in Entry 1;

here:
    It was ridiculous really. Why be punished for falling in love? Why be punished for something so wonderful, so beautiful?so {i]normal[/i]?

and here:
    Forever was merely a dream for those who knew {i]not[/i] to be normal.

23. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Challenge Five Now Voting!!

Voting Deadline: 2pm (board time) Friday April 17th

Your Standard VOTING RULES:

1. Please read all entries before voting. You can find links to the other era threads below!

2. All writers still in must vote or use a vote pass. If you do not vote and don't have your voting pass you will be subjected to a penalty.

3. Do NOT vote positive or negative because you love/hate those characters or pairing, you should be voting on how well the story follows the prompt, characterization, creativity etc., not for the characters themselves.

4. Send a PM with your votes and a reason, please. Try and be as specific as possible if only to help the author improve but you don't have to write a novel either. happy
    Example: I vote for [story number/name here] as the best story because it used the prompt very creatively.

I vote for [story number/name here] as the writer to become one with the Force because I felt the characterization was not accurate.

5. If you beta for one of the writers, please don't vote in either direction for that writer as you know which story is theirs and that completely defeats the purpose of the anonymity. I have no way of checking so we are on the honor system!

6.No voting more than once by using socks!

Entry Threads:

Beyond the Saga

The Saga

Before the Saga

24. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Challenge Five Results!

Writer Reveal:
    Entry # 1 Merely a Dream by Ceillean

Entry #2 Differing Views by C1-J2

Entry # 3 A Hope Shattered by Aspiration

Challenge Five Winner:

With a total score of +2, congratulations Ceillean! You are the winner of Challenge five! Unfortunately there is no immunity to be had as we are now at the final three, but congrats on winning this challenge! =D==D=

One With The Force:

With a total challenge score of -2, I'm very sorry C1-J2, you have become One With the Force. :( [:D]
    But congratulations on making it this far, that was no easy feat! :) [:D] I hope you will return with us and vote for the winner on the final challenge! :)

A BIG congrats to our final three... Seremela, Ceillean and Aspiration!! =D=

Sunday I will post your final challenge where you will be competing to be our champion!

Comments will go out tomorrow morning.

25. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Wow! Thanks for the votes. :) [:D]

Sorry to see that you've become one with the Force, C1. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.