main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Writer With The Force Challenge Entries: Round Two, Challenge Five-- Voting 4/15/09

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ForceWriter, May 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ForceWriter

ForceWriter Jedi Knight star 1

May 12, 2008
    Hello and welcome to the voting round of the Writer With the Force Challenge! If you have no idea what that is please visit the Writer With the Force thread over in resource! Anyone can vote, so we would love for you to participate!

A quick overview for the WWTF Challenge:
    A prompt is given to the writers who have signed up and they are given one week to write a short fic and PM it to the challenge sock. The fics are then be placed in a random order and placed in a thread in the appropriate era anonymously.

Then anyone who wants to participate, writer or not will vote for their favorite and least favorite story. The writer with the most positive votes will be given immunity for the next round of prompts, until we reach the last three writers where immunity will go away. The writer with the most negative votes will become one with the Force and be out of the this competition round. This will continue until we are left with a winner for this round of competition.

A few rules before voting:

1. Please read all entries before voting. You can find links to the other era threads below!

2. Do NOT vote positive or negative because you love/hate those characters or pairing, you should be voting on how well the story follows the prompt, characterization, creativity etc., not for the characters themselves.

3. Send a PM with your votes and a reason, please.
    Example: I vote for [story number/name here] as the best story because it used the prompt very creatively.

I vote for [story number/name here] as the writer to become one with the Force because I felt the characterization was not accurate.

4. If you beta for one of the writers, please don't vote in either direction for that writer as you know which story is theirs and that completely defeats the purpose of the anonymity. I have no way of checking so we are on the honor system!

5.No voting more than once by using socks!

6. Please no voting in this thread! Send all votes to ForceWriter. You may comment on the entries in this thread if you would like.

Other Era Threads:

Beyond the Saga WWTF Entries

The Saga WWTF Entries

2. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Entry #11

Title: Interview With a Bounty Hunter
    Characters/Pairings: A certain Mandalorian, OC?s
    Era: Before
    Summary: When the head hunting business is slow, what?s a bounty hunter to do?

?Joang Teft,? the receptionist announced the next candidate to be interviewed for the job. The normally indifferent Twi?lek smiled appreciatively as the rugged, dark-haired human passed by her desk. Hmm? nice coming and going.

The muscular applicant perceived her noticing him, but paid no mind to the secretary as he entered the office of the head of beings resources. He stood at attention until the bespectacled Balosar introduced himself as Bob Hanget and indicated he should take a seat. Even then, he sat straight-backed and alert.

?Mr. Teft,? the Balosar spoke in a nasal tone, ?I see here you have had a varied career.?

The human remained silent, as no question had been put forth to him.

Looking up at his interviewee, Mr. Hanget raised an eyebrow. ?Could you explain to me what exactly you did in some of these jobs??

?I could.?

The Balosar blinked at Mr. Teft, wondering if the human was trying to be funny. However, the look upon his face was so enigmatic that it would put a professional sabacc player to shame. Clearing his throat, he turned back to peruse list of jobs on the man?s resume. ?Okaaay? what is a ?brilliandeer-lopper???

?A person who chops off the heads and limbs off dead brilliandeers before they are skinned and readied for canning.?

?Oh? brilliandeers are some kind of animal then??

?Yes, they are the chief source of meat on Tandabar IV.?

?You were a ?dolly pusher?? what did that entail??

?I sold dolls door to door.?

?Okay, what did you do as a ?fur blower???

Without hesitation, and with a deadpan delivery, the human explained that he dried the fur of shampooed animals to get them ready for grooming. He was not about to tell the Balosar that the job actually required him to please some hirsute beings in the Mytaranor sector.

?A ?lingo cleaner???

?I reprogrammed droids for the duties they needed to perform.?

?Could you clarify that, please??

?Their programming was faulty, so I had to correct the encoding language.?

?Ah, I see. What in the galaxy is a ?roving sizer???

?Someone who sizes footwear.?

?What did you do as a ?smash hand???

?I smashed nuts by hand. I had to wear gloves so as not to contaminate the food with natural body oils.?

?Okay, this last one? ?targeteer?.?

?I operated remote targets to assess the ability of soldiers? marksmanship.?

?So, what qualities do you have that would make you qualified to be a ?whizzer???

?I pay attention to detail and accuracy.?

After a few more questions and short answers, the Balosar fold his hands on the desk in front of him. ?Okay, Mr. Teft, it?s been enlightening. We?ll contact you soon after we?ve had a chance to verify your credentials and interview the rest of the applicants.? Mr. Hanget rose and offered his hand.

The human firmly took the Balosar?s hand before taking his leave. ?Nice meeting you, sir.?

[b][u]Entry # 12[/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] Lingo Scrubber
    [b]Characters/Pairings:[/b] OC
    [b]Era:[/b] Before
    [b]Summary:[/b] The difficulties of translating similar languages.

There is a Mon Calamari saying: minnows can but cower in the shallows when leviathans wage war. There is no equivalent phrase in Quarren, although one comes close: when gods fight one another, mortals are their spears and shields.

This is but one of many instances where the two cultures begin to converge, then head off in opposite directions. The problem seems to lie in the fact that the Quarren are aggressive on the whole whereas the Mon Calamari are docile.

This is, of course, an oversimplified generalization and should not be taken as the literal truth. People have spent their entire careers trying to explain the two species' differences with varying levels of success. Condensing their efforts into a few paragraphs is not worth considering.

3. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    Entry 11: ?Okay, what did you do as a ?fur blower???

Without hesitation, and with a deadpan delivery, the human explained that he dried the fur of shampooed animals to get them ready for grooming. He was not about to tell the Balosar that the job actually required him to please some hirsute beings in the Mytaranor sector.

o_O Okaay :p

Entry 12: The first time he came upon such a passage, he actually spent a day trying to come up with an alternative that wouldn't leave a gaping hole where a beautiful phrase used to be. He couldn't, of course. The author of the Cycle, bigoted as he was, was a genius when it came to words. Gerred's grasp of the language was better than most, but it was nowhere near what was required. In the end he did what he could and hoped his conscience would survive.

That was half a year ago. He still feels guilty when disfiguring poetry, but he no longer feels the need to drown himself in alcohol each time. He has considered quitting his job four times, only to reconsider when he realized his replacement might not have the same respect for the Cycle.

I respect a person who respects the language and culture even if he has to butcher it to be 'politically correct'.

4. DarthBerryStraw

DarthBerryStraw Jedi Master star 4

Mar 20, 2007
    Entry 11: Looking up at his interviewee, Mr. Hanget raised an eyebrow. ?Could you explain to me what exactly you did in some of these jobs??

?I could.?

[face_laugh] The bounty hunter's personality reminded me of a former teacher. Simple, blunt, to the point.. usually.

Entry 12:
    Gerred Phol did not subscribe to this fatalistic notion, though there were times when he wondered if it was worth getting up in the morning. Officially, his job title was Translator Second Class for the Dac Bureau of Education. Unofficially, and in his more cynical hours, he thought of himself as a Linguistic Sanitation Worker.

Linguistic Sanitation Worker? That's a nice way to think of it. :p Great job.

5. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Entry #11:
    [face_laugh] So many interesting jobs..

Entry #12:
    Poor guy! :(

6. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round One, Challenge Two

For info on voting, please see the first post! Anyone can vote!! :)

Challenge Two -- TV Land: For this challenge, your fic must be titled (and of course related to that title) from one of the episode titles of the 1st season of the Sci-fi show Andromeda.

[b][u]Entry # 5[/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] The Pearls That Were His Eyes
    [b]Characters/Pairings:[/b] OC?s
    [b]Era:[/b] Before (Way Before)
    [b]Summary:[/b] A speculation on a primitive society that may be a root of the Jedi Order.

Life existed long before the first beings reached out from the cradles of their worlds to travel amongst the stars. Long before the Republic and the Jedi Order was established, the Force permeated all living things, and microscopic organisms were drawn to those beings that were strong in the Force. On a world whose name was forgotten for many ages, a tribal race flourished. Those who were sensitive to the Force, which they called ?The Awareness?, were leaders, either chiefs or the chief?s advisors called sages, or in the tongue of this ancient world, ?j?adai?.

[i]This[/i] is the story of the first j?adai king?s birth.

~~~

?Push, Gia!?

Doma was poised to catch the baby as Gia screamed.

?Again!?

?It hurts? I?m tired.? Panting, the young woman leaned back against her husband.

?Help her, Kemb!?

The young man gently brushed the sweat-soaked hair back from his lifemate?s face before helping her push. ?Come on, Gia, you can do this.?

With a moan, she pushed one last time and gave an exhausted laugh when she heard the indignant howl of the newly arrived infant.

Doma clucked and cooed at the squirming baby as she examined it. ?[i]He[/i] is strong, this one? good muscle tone? and a healthy set of lungs.?

The young couple chuckled at this last part as the midwife handed the new mother the precious bundle so she could nurse. With one arm still around his wife?s shoulder, Kemb reached down to stroke his son?s cheek, laughing when the infant moved to suckle on his finger. The baby?s expression turned to one of disgust before it let go and returned to his mother?s breast.

J?adai Lynk had stood quietly with his eyes closed, listening to the Awareness during the birthing process. He opened his eyes and went over to the small family, kneeling next to them. Putting a hand on Kemb and Gia?s shoulder, he spoke with quiet authority. ?The Awareness flows through your child. He will be a strong leader. He shall unite many tribes and vanquish a dark presence.?

The astonished parents looked first at the j?adai, then down at their baby in wonder. ?That is so much responsibility to lie on one so small,? Gia whispered.

Just then, the infant?s eyes opened and the young mother gasped in shock as she brought him away from her bosom.

?Doma,? Kemb exclaimed anxiously as the j?adai looked down into the little one?s cloudy white eyes.

The midwife took the babe, and seeing its blindness, withdrew her ceremonial knife from its sheath. Gia hid her face in her lifemate?s shoulder. Kemb closed his eyes as he held her, and Dar lowered her blade. The infant squirmed and bawled as though he knew his life was in danger.

?No!? Link held his hand out as he shouted.

The would-be executioner?s hand paused in its deadly plunge inches from the babe?s chest. Doma looked up at the j?adai in shock even as she struggled to lower the blade. ?It?s the law! Any baby born with a weakness shall be killed to keep it from weakening the tribe,? she rasped.

?Did you not hear my prophecy? The Awareness has spoken! Did it sound like he would weaken our tribe??

Sweat broke out on the woman?s forehead as she fought the invisible force the j?adai wielded to stop her hand.

?Give me the baby,? Lynk commanded.

?He is weak,? she insisted, ?by the law he should die!?

?Just a moment ago you said he was strong. Give him to me now!!?

?No!?

The young couple watched in horror at the exchange and gasped as their baby suddenly flew ou

7. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Entry #5: Woah! Definitely an interesting concept you came up with. :D

Entry #6: Loved your OC! :D

There was no law accept survival, and I wasn?t about to be conquered.
    Nice way to think of things.

8. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    Entry # 5: Ah! Crazy tribe laws. It's sad how some can be so brutal. :(

Entry # 6: He definitely sounds like an unconquerable man. ;)

9. Ceillean

Ceillean Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 13, 2001
    Entry #5: Intriguing! I'd honestly like to read more about it.

Entry #6:
    I love your OC!

10. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    Entry 5: I'm betting there's going to be more to this story! J'adai = Jedi? [face_thinking]

Entry 6: Seann Colbi is a great name, and I'd like to see more stories with this dude. :D

11. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round One, Challenge Three

The Challenge:

Random "us" words-- For this challenge you must use all three words that end in 'us' (below) and there must be an us in the fic! (As in two people who are together, not necessarily in a relationship, just interacting with each other! happy )

The words: ambiguous, dubious and contagious.

[u][b]Entry 6[/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] Innocent, Harmonious, Repose
    [b]Characters:[/b] Obi-Wan Kenobi, Siri Tachi

Obi-Wan Kenobi sighed as he cast a jaundiced glare at the door to the quarters he and Qui-Gon shared. Smoke leaked out from the lines of the door, as the Temple?s anti-fire system worked its wonders to put out the flames that Qui-Gon?s latest attempt at cooking had inspired.

Neither of them were ever going to be proficient, but Obi-Wan had at least had the good sense to accept his limitations in this area. Qui-Gon, on the other hand, had gone at it with his usual obstinacy.

?Master...,? he began, a teasing jib perched upon his lips.

?Obi-Wan, if you value your Knighthood, I?d be very careful what you say next.?

The young Jedi apprentice, clamped his mouth shut, biting off his laughter. Once the threat might have caused him to cringe, but he knew Qui-Gon?s moods now and could anticipate how far to press his irate Master.

?Yes, Master.?

?Well, we can?t sleep here tonight,? Qui-Gon continued, subdued. ?We?ll have to find temporary quarters until the smoke has been put through the recyclers.?

Obi-Wan shrugged. ?It is all right, Master. I?ll just stay with Garen or Reeft.?

---

It turned out that Obi-Wan could not stay with Garen or Reeft, for Master Clee was entertaining and old friend and she was using Garen?s quarters and Garen had already asked Reeft to stay with him. Obi-Wan had contacted Temple Housing and had been told that the auxiliary units were undergoing routine maintenance. Qui-Gon was staying with Master Windu and Yoda had offered
    his quarters to Obi-Wan.

Staying with Master Yoda was always a dubious affair. The diminutive Master was only a better cook in the fact that it was incredibly difficult to burn stew.

Further inquiry to Temple Housing had produced a list of Jedi currently on assignment. Obi-Wan breathed a sigh of relief when he found a familiar name. Feelings between he and Siri Tachi had never been ambiguous, but at least now they had fallen into the pattern of friendship.

He made his way to Siri?s quarters, punched in the code Housing had given him and melted onto the sleep couch.

---

When Obi-Wan awoke the next morning, he thought he was dreaming.

Siri Tachi?s face was close to his own, so close he could feel her breath, a sweet cinnamon tang filling his nostrils. Their legs were entangled and arms were wrapped around waists. For several heartbeats a silly grin swept across his face and it didn?t even occur to him that their might be something wrong with the situation.

And then reality came crashing down.

Panic overrode his senses.

He pushed out with his arms, while throwing himself back Both he and Siri rolled off the single sleep cot and hit the floor with a thud.

?Ow,? Siri said, rising on her knees at the same time as Obi-Wan. She rubbed at her head. ?What was that for, Kenobi??

?What are you doing here?? Obi-Wan asked, confused.

?I live here,? she said in a deliberate mocking tone. ?Shouldn?t I be asking the questions here??

?But you?re supposed to be gone.?

Siri planted her hands on her hips and gave him a withering glare. ?I?m about ready to make you gone,? she growled.

?You know what I mean,? he said, trying to be reasonable. For the first time, he truly looked at her and reason fled him. ?By the Force, what are you wearing??

Taking stock of her short pants and sleeveless tunics, she answered, ?Their sleep clothes, Obi-Wan.? She made it sound so innocent, so ordinary.

Cheeks burning, inexplicably, he pointed out, ?My sleep clothes don?t look like that.?

12. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    Entry # 6:
    ?Do you call all your friends such horrible names?? she questioned.

?No.? He gave sly smile, a light tugging at the corners of his mouth. ?Just the ones I sleep with.?

[face_laugh] Very cute! I enjoyed this viggie a lot.

13. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    ?Do you call all your friends such horrible names?? she questioned.

?No.? He gave sly smile, a light tugging at the corners of his mouth. ?Just the ones I sleep with.?

[face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Too cute. [face_love]

14. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    [face_laugh] I loved the banter between these two. You got their personalities down perfect.

15. Jaina_and_Jag

Apr 19, 2003
    Entry #6: [face_laugh] Loved it! The banter was too cute! [face_love]

16. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Challenge Five:

An Expert Opinion

Your character(s) is an expert at something... tell us about it.
    What is it? How did they learn it? From whom did they learn it? (You don't have to answer these questions, they are just to get your muse going.) The catch... it can not be something we know they have an expertise in!

Example: We all know that Luke could be considered an Expert on the Force, but what if he also though himself an expert musician?

b]Entry # 1[/b]
    [b]Title:[/b] Mess
    [b]Characters/Pairings:[/b] Dooku, Qui-Gon
    [b]Summary:[/b] Knight Dooku and Padawan Qui-Gon make a medical run.

Qui-Gon anxiously checked the IV running to the infant's arm. This wasn't a good way to travel, but the child had been very ill. Which was, of course, why his parents had let two Jedi take off with their only offspring. On foot, since only very special vehicles were allowed in the preserve, and they hadn't checked one out. They'd been running for hours already.

The IV was fine. It was a standard part of the emergency kit: a bag with adjustable pressure so that the flow was independent of gravity, slender tubing that would meld with the skin and vein when inserted so that the site was a little tender but not as traumatized as with the old-fashioned needle. And they'd run very smoothly, taking turns, so as not to jar it too much. Dooku had taken a sliver out of the tubing and fused it back together so that it was narrower, and it looked like Qui-Gon's adustment to the pressure had been correct. There was no swelling, and the hot tautness of fever was going down, so the medicine must be working.

Even as he thought it, the baby drew in a breath and let out an awful scream. Dooku's head turned, and a moment later they came to a halt.

"Hush. You'll be much more comfortable in a minute." The low voice rumbled across the infant's high wail as deft hands spread out a blanket and then carefully unsealed the sanitary diaper. The skin-seal on this sort was related to that on the IV tubing, but without penetration. It was good for containing mess, but the material wasn't very breathable, so nobody used them exclusively.

A vile smell emerged as the seal was released. Qui-Gon wasn't sure if the illness was responsible or if this was normal, but he was guessing it was the illness; he certainly didn't remember any of the babies in the Creche smelling like that in their diapers, not when they were healthy.

The baby's cry hiccuped to a confused stop as he found himself floating a few centimeters above the blanket on a cushion of cool air. Once he was wiped clean, the diaper folded around itself, re-sealing into a secure pouch with the used wipes inside as well as, thankfully, most of the odor. Dooku settled the new diaper into place and scooped up the infant, patting him on the back a few times before taking off again.

After a stretch, Qui-Gon said, "I didn't know you knew how to change a diaper, Master."

Dooku looked sideways at him with a bemused expression. "I had the usual frequency of Creche duty as an initiate and as a padawan." He added wryly, "And it hasn't been that long."

Qui-Gon blushed slightly. "I didn't mean I thought you couldn't do it. I just didn't expect you to look like an expert at it." Like everything else, almost. He was sure Dooku couldn't actually be good at everything, and had tentatively begun to suspect that engines might be one of the exceptions, but diapers?

"Oh, that was relatively easy," Dooku said, lengthening his stride. "It's fortunate the villages in the preserve are generally so well equipped, even if emergency access to the outside is somewhat lacking."

Qui-Gon eyed him sideways. "So well equipped in terms of diapers?"

Dooku nodded. "Think back to our last mission. If Preserville III had the same level of supplies as those villages, we'd probably be cutting up our cloaks before we got back." A pause. "And, of course, the Force assisted."

Qui-Gon's mouth quirked in appreciation. "Even better th

17. Goddess-Jaina-Redick

Goddess-Jaina-Redick Jedi Knight star 4

May 5, 2005
    Entry #3: [face_laugh] Boring indeed!

18. Ceillean

Nov 13, 2001
    Entry # 1: Awww... seeing Dooku as someone who can deal with babies was great.

Entry # 3: Boring indeed. [face_laugh] Seems Jan'ira knows how to have fun.

19. DarthBerryStraw

Mar 20, 2007
    Entry # 1: Dooku + baby = adorable. [face_love]

Entry # 3: Boring, hmm? o_O

20. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Challenge Seven: Five Times

For this challenge you are to write about the "five times" someone did something or something happened. Your title should be "The Five Times" followed by what it is about.

Example: The Five Times Luke Hurled Force Lightening
    Then the story would proceed to explain each of the five times Luke hurled Force lightening.

Voting Ends 3pm Thursday September 4th!

[b][u]Entry # 1[/b][/u]
    [b]Title:[/b]Five Times Qui-Gon Wondered What in the World Dooku Was Thinking
    [b]Characters:[/b] Qui-Gon and Dooku
    [b]Era:[/b] Before the Saga, except for the last one

1. "Qui-Gon!"

Qui-Gon looked up, startled. Dooku was one of the older padawans and, while he grinned readily and seemed to enjoy Master Yoda's assignment to him (to tutor some of the initiates, whether because they weren't doing well and needed the help or because they were and needed the challenge), he didn't usually sound [i]excited[/i], exactly.

"Ah, there you are." Dooku peered around the berry-bramble at him. "Qui-Gon, would you consider being my padawan learner?"

Qui-Gon stared at him. "When?"

Dooku blinked. "What?"

"Are you expecting to be Knighted soon?"

Dooku's hand shot to touch behind his ear, and Qui-Gon realized that instead of being pushed back away from the thorns, the long dark braid simply wasn't there. "It's been about five hours."

"Oh." Qui-Gon grinned. "Congratulations. And sure."

2. Qui-Gon sighed and frowned at his master. They had just liberated an illegal zoo, and Dooku was prowling among the larger animals. Qui-Gon was soothing a particularly hideous and pathetic creature that seemed to be mostly made of barbed needles and goo, but Dooku seemed drawn to the gigantic, graceful, and apparently perfectly healthy creatures.

"If you're done admiring power, Master, do you think you could teach me what to do over here?"

Dooku glanced back at him, then ducked under a pair of enormous canine teeth and put a hand on the giant carnivore's shoulder. It rolled over, exposing a wound with flies on it.

Qui-Gon swallowed.

"Don't assume the appearance of power means someone needs no help."

3. "You know," Qui-Gon said, trying to imagine a less flattering shade of green on his former master and failing entirely, "I don't think that hair dye is quite your best color."

Dooku shrugged. "You have to admit, however, it's an excellent distraction."

Watching Dooku depart on his undercover mission with hair that looked as if Yoda had become fluorescent, Qui-Gon was forced to agree.

4. "What do you mean you're not going on any more missions?"

"I mean I'm not accepting any more assignments. Particularly not when the Council is only a mouthpiece for the Senate. If I am expelled, I am expelled." A pause. "That doesn't mean I won't go anywhere, of course."

5. Qui-Gon closed his eyes, and saw. Becoming one with the Force and remaining oneself was like... giving yourself to the water, and finding you could float. His thoughts turned to friends... apprentices... his old Master.

Toward Dooku he found only darkness, fury and despair. He clenched; his thoughts shattered around him.

When he was able at last to let go and find himself again, he was weeping without eyes or tears.

[i]What has he done?[/i]

~~~~~~~

[b][u]Entry # 2[/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] The Five Times Yoda Shrunk
    [b]Characters:[/b] Yoda mostly
    [b]Era:[/b] Before the Saga
    [b]Summary:[/b] Yoda wasn't always the small fry he was in the time of the films...

*880 BBY: Yoda's home planet*

"Mmph! To the dinner table, come now!"

Yoda sprinted out of his room at his father's beckon, having been working on a model boat for the evening. A terrible rainstorm was plaguing the area, and the wind was also picking up.

?Apologize, I do, dad. Working on my model, I was.?

?Excuse, do not give me. Sit!?

Yoda obliged without protest and began munching on his fried Bugari brain. ?Good brain this is mother!?

?Thank you, I do. Hard on it, I worked

21. Alexis_Wingstar

Sep 16, 2006
    The ending of entry 1 was touching.

Amusing, entry 2 was. :p

22. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round One- Final Challenge: My Memoirs

The final challenge was to write the memoirs, autobiography or biography of any character.

For this final challenge, please only vote for your favorite (but still include your reason!) not a One With the Force vote. (Please see the first post in this thread for voting rules if you don't already know them!)

Votes are due by 1pm board time on Friday October 3rd!

[u][b][color=darkblue]Entry # 3[/color][/b][/u]

[b]Title[/b]The Living Force
    [b]Characters[/b]Original Characters
    [b]Era[/b] Before the Saga
    [b]Summary[/b] Possible, sad, beginnings of the Jedi.

{b]Property of the Government of Taeloen
    In the sixty-fifth year of his Royal Highness Carsden
    Do Not Read on Penalty of Death
    Return Immediately to Section Advisor if Found[/b]

The screen did nothing to deter Terra Granic as she hooked the datajournal to her system and ran the algorithm to crack the rest of the data. The obligatory warning system had popped up rather quickly. It was meaningless now, the reign of the Taeloen government had ended, its dictators
    laid to rest or in cells of their own.

Those that had survived the cleansing of King Carsden had been given their freedom.

She watched as the lights on her terminal clicked on and off, the sound of the processor whirring as is it moved through the possibilities.

Many had not survived. All that remained of them was the personal histories that had been left behind. They had been hidden underneath sleep couches, in the cracks of the cell walls, in the water tanks for the refreshers, anywhere the owners thought their captors would not find them.
    Their own private rebellion, purloined journals to record what had really happened to them.

Carsden had taken groups of gifted beings and had kept them prisoner, using their strange abilities to anticipate attacks, torturing them to observe their radical healing.

?File one decrypted. Activate and preserve or preserve,? the terminal reported.

?Activate and preserve,? Terra answered and immersed herself in the less desirable of portion of her job.

?My name is Zanna Orlori. I?m twenty-six years old. My parents are Gregori and Hanna Orlori.? The recording cracked again, there was the wet sound of repressed tears. A sniffle followed and Terra imagined a hand being swiped under a running nose. ?I have not seen them in ten years. I
    hope they are well. Erlik gave me this for the future, either for those that will one day take my place or as a biography of my life.?

?To the listener, I only ask to pass this on to my parents. That I loved them and though I do not expect to live much longer...I did have happiness.?

[hr]

?...I did have happiness.? Zanna pressed the pause button, looking around her cell and pondering the absurdity of her words.

Whispers had abound amongst the prisoners. That the Camassi had come and that they were helping to build a resistance against Carsden and his government. Cheer and hope had finally come to the camp. Several voices rose up in song and for the first time in a long time laughter
    twittered in the dimness.

The ?caretakers? had been wary in those they took to the examiners. Still there were the ones that left their cell and never returned. They were the ones that had been here the longest, those who had been rather emaciated by the long and drawn out experimentation that King Carsden had
    ordered.

?I was sixteen when I was brought to the camp. I had been out beyond curfew with a boy I had no right to be with,? she laughed at this. ?He went to get us a piece of sweet bread. Hm. Sweat bread. I can?t remember the last time I had it.?

She burrowed herself deeper into the threadbare cover.

?I never saw it coming, don?t know if Macen, yes that was his name, if Macen tried to help me or if he lived long enough to make such an attempt. One moment I was feeling deliciously devious, past curfew, wondering if Macen would kiss me and the next it was

23. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round Two, Challenge One: Please don't... oh, never mind!

For this challenge the writers were to write a story that included the sentence;"Please don't sniff the ____" and fill in the blank with whatever they chose!

For rules on voting please see the first post of this thread or Writer With the Force Challenge thread.

[b][u]Entry # 1[/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] Show Some Scents, Boy
    [b]Characters/Pairings:[/b] Dooku, Qui-Gon
    [b]Summary:[/b] Silly drabble about one of Qui-Gon's first times off Coruscant.

It was a glorious day, and the most beautiful planet Qui-Gon had ever disembarked on. Granted, he was only in his first year of apprenticeship, and hadn't been off Coruscant much.

But this was amazing. The sky was an extraordinary shade of teal-blue, the light a little redshifted and warm, and the air filled with the most amazing scent.

"Padawan," Dooku murmured, "please don't sniff the local flora."

Qui-Gon backed guiltily away from the shoulder-high sapling. "Yes, Master. Why not? Are they toxic?" Intoxicating?

"No," Dooku said. The sapling turned and bowed. "They are our hosts."

~*~*~*~

[b][u]Entry # 2 [/b][/u]

[b] Title: [/b] Visiting Yoda
    [b] Characters: [/b] Little Obi-Wan, Qui-Gon, Yoda
    [b] Era: [/b] Before
    [b] Genre: [/b] Humor, AU
    [b] Summary: [/b] Young Obi-Wan (6-7 years-old) visits Master Yoda's quarters for the first time, with his new master. AU because Padawan's are chosen at a much younger age then in canon, so picture a little Obi-Wan.

The young Padawan walked alongside his master, respectfully remaining silent. Qui-Gon Jinn glanced down at his latest apprentice and wondered what he could possibly be thinking about so intently. It had been a long time since he was that age.

Soon enough his question was answered, when the boy looked up at him with his deep blue eyes and said, ?Master, why does Master Yoda wish to meet us at his quarters? Why not in the Council Chambers??

Qui-Gon smiled down at Obi-Wan. ?This isn?t for a mission, Padawan. He just wants us to visit him.?

Obi-Wan got that deep, contemplative look on his face once more. ?Why us, Master??

?Do beings always have a reason?? Qui-Gon asked with a smile.

?They usually have some intentions.?

?Like what??

?Sometimes they want something, but not Master Yoda. He wouldn?t do something like that. Maybe he... I don?t know, Master.?

?Well, Padawan, I suppose you are right.?

Obi-Wan arched an eyebrow. ?I am??

?Maybe he does want something.?

?What could we have that he would want??

?Maybe he just wants someone to talk to.?

Obi-Wan nodded and grinned. ?Maybe you?re right. We are really good at that.?

Qui-Gon suppressed a chuckle, choosing instead to reach down and ruffle the young boy?s hair. They continued walking in silence for awhile. ?Now there is one thing I must ask of you, Padawan.?

?What is it, Master??

?Please don?t sniff the stew.?

The child looked up at him in incredulously. ?What??

?You?ll see.?

A few minutes later, Master and Apprentice walked into Master Yoda?s quarters. They were plain, as most Jedi quarters were, though he seemed to have a lot more plants in his room then most other Jedi. They were all kept neatly in little pots throughout the room, but they seemed to be stored in great number. Qui-Gon knew that the boy would be wondering why there were so many, and he silently hoped that he would not find out.

Master Yoda entered the main room moments later. Immediately, both Jedi stopped looking around and bowed before the esteemed little troll. Yoda waved a hand at the formalities. ?Sit.? He motioned towards the nearby couch and Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan immediately sat down. ?Bring the stew, I will.?

Little Obi-Wan looked up at his master with wide eyes. ?Just don?t smell it and you?ll be fine.? Qui-Gon placed a large, reassuring hand on the boy?s shoulder.

Yoda came back with three bowls filled with stew, and Qui-Gon accepted both his and Obi-Wan?s gratefully. ?Here you go

24. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round Two Challenge Two: "Outside of a dog, man's best friend is a book. Inside of a dog it is very dark."

For this challenge the authors were to take their favorite book, turn it to page 80 and use the first full sentence on that page as their first sentence, changing as little as possible about that sentence.

[b][u] Entry # 7 [/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] The Nature of a Sith
    [b]Era:[/b] Before the Saga
    [b]Summary:[/b] The nature of the Sith is that of power, strength, passion, and of course, betrayal.

[b]Title/Author of Book:[/b] The Super Bowl: An Official Retrospective", written/edited by Ken Leiker and Craig Ellenport.

?Darth Traya, of the aftermath of the Jedi Civil War, remains a lasting symbol of excellence, the first Sith to defeat four Jedi masters at once.?

?Excellent, my pupil. You have learned well from your studies in the lore of the Sith. So, I must ask?do you know what your final test shall be, or have you not understood the subtleties of my assignments??

I couldn?t help but smile coldly at my Master. He underestimated not only my fighting prowess, but my ability to comprehend well. ?Yes, I do. You wish me to kill four Jedi; but not separately?at once. Am I correct??

Darth Vicus nodded. ?You guessed correctly. You will be departing tomorrow, to Coruscant. In the underworld, you shall find your final trial, the one that shall determine your fate.?

I nodded, but felt the need to ask a question. ?My lord, if I may ask a question.?

?You may.?

?How will I conveniently encounter four Jedi Masters in the underworld??

Vicus raised his head to reveal his scarred and dark face beneath his hood. ?A wise question indeed. I have taken care of it, and that is all you need to know. Remember, however, that if you fail, you not only fail yourself, but the Order itself.?

?I understand. I will go and rest, and depart tomorrow as instructed.? I bowed, and as he nodded me away, I left his presence.

As a Sith apprentice, I knew the importance of making sure to finish this mission thoroughly. There were only two Sith, as instituted by Darth Bane centuries ago. If even one Jedi were to live, he or she would be able to return to the hated Jedi and reveal us. The time was not right to be revealed. The thought was very sobering to me, as I lay down to sleep. Sleep?I would need it for the task that lay ahead.

To be on Coruscant, a dense foliage of people, inanimate structures, and thousands upon thousands of automated drones did not please me. I hated this world, hated those on it, and what it stood for. It reeked of corruption, of Jedi hypocrisy, of numerous beings engaging in criminal activities and fraud, bringing chaos to a supposed order. I shook off my hatred for now. As useful as it could be, it doesn?t sense for me to mull upon it. For another time, I suppose.

As my ship landed, I retrieved my bag from beneath my seat, and exited my ship. Looking around, I saw quite a few valet droids, all competing for the traveler?s credits. My master had given me quite a few, so I could spend liberally. I admit, I have a weakness for capitalism. I enjoy transactions, and enjoy the subterfuge that came with buying and purchasing. I wonder sometimes if I hadn?t been trained a Sith if I would be running my own business instead. But I don?t deal in ?what-ifs? if at all possible.

Finding a serviceable valet was not too hard, and I rode peacefully as a droid descended the speeder gently down the spires of the megalopolis, and eventually, we reached my drop off point that Master had given me. Before the droid could take off though, I subtly used the Force to trigger the programming in his core that led to a memory wipe. His head fell forward, and he reenergized, only to begin babbling on his registry number and qualifications. I smiled, only briefly on the inside. All too easy.

Hours later, I reached the location where my Master told me I?d find my final trial, and much to my satisfaction, already there were four Jedi, accompanied by a regiment of Corus

25. ForceWriter

May 12, 2008
    Round Two, Challenge Three: Required Words

For this challenge the authors were to use the following three words in their story: confabulation, espiègle and indubitable.

[b][u]Entry # 3[/b][/u]

[b]Title:[/b] Mysterious Ways
    [b]Characters/Pairings:[/b] Yoda, OC?s, and a cameo by Master T?ra Saa
    [b]Era:[/b] Before (about 650 years before)
    [b]Summary:[/b] Upon doing further research beyond the definition for espiègle, I found this gem, [link=http://www.pitt.edu/~dash/fart.html] Till Eulenspiegel and the Innkeeper at Cologne[/link], which gave me the inspiration for this frolicsome tale of a young but weary Knight Yoda. This may or may not be AU? the author will let you, the readers decide. [b]WARNING:[/b] What follows is not for weak of stomach.

After a long and harrowing mission, the Healers suggested young Knight Yoda take a sabbatical, which the Jedi Council granted. He was meditating in one of the Temples? gardens when he felt an urge to travel. He ignored this impulse at first, being weary and wanting only to rest from the ordeal he?d suffered just weeks before. However, the impulse soon grew to a strong compulsion. ?Master Saa,? he turned to what an outsider would mistakenly consider a small tree as he spoke, ?advice I need on how to proceed.?

The tree proceeded to transform into a feminine humanoid form and sat next to the little green knight. ?How to proceed in what, may I ask?? The Neti Master asked in a gently amused tone.

?Come here to relax, I have, yet no rest do I find.?? His ears turned down slightly as he sighed. ?I wish not adventure, but calls to me the outer rim does.?

?The Force speaks to us in mysterious ways. It is wise to take heed to its whispers before it needs to shout.?

The young Jedi?s ears wiggled slightly as he carefully contemplated her words.

---

Two days later, Yoda waited on a mid-rim world for a connecting flight to his destination, Baroonda. Due to an unusually strong ion storm affecting the route, the flight was delayed until the storm abated. This was expected to last a couple days, and fortunately for him and his fellow passengers, the starline was paying for their stay at a local inn, even if the meals weren?t covered. He dressed in civilian clothes, not wishing to be known as a Jedi Knight.

It took less than five minutes of observing the innkeeper for Yoda to realize the owner was [b]indubitably[/b] the rudest being he?d ever met in his one-hundred and twenty years. [i]Better off will I be sleeping in the gutter than under this man?s roof,[/i] the knight decided. ?Look for another place to stay tomorrow, I shall,? he informed the proprietor.

Later, the host showed the other guests to their rooms, but left Yoda waiting in the lobby. ?Paid for my sleeping arrangements, the starline has just as the others, yet to a room have you not shown me. On the floor do you wish me to sleep, hmm?? The diminutive alien asked.

The innkeeper proceeded to scratch his head, deliberately making flaky dandruff fall upon his undersized, olive-skinned visitor. ?Your pillow, this is,? he mimicked Yoda?s gravelly voice. He produced a reverberating belch. ?Your sheets and blanket there are.? He then turned his back on the knight as he squatted. A putrid stench accompanied the emerging flatulence. He walked away as he said, ?There is your bed. Rest well, and leave them where I may find them in the morning.?

Yoda was sorely tempted to poke the man?s buttocks with his lightsaber, but was concerned that the fumes would cause the hotel to explode upon igniting the weapon. So he restrained himself and kept silent. He curled in a corner that night, and slept peacefully. Rising early, the Jedi quietly slipped into the kitchen and used a knife to cut off some of his hair. He put one strand into each of the cups then regurgitated into the bowls. Then he went into the dining area and released a gaseous cloud, the odor of which rivaled rotten eggs mixed with sour milk in its offensiveness. Before leaving, he placed a note upon the front desk, [i]?Kind sir,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.