Discussion Writer's Block Party: safe haven for batty fanfic writers

Discussion in 'Non Star Wars Fan Fiction' started by ophelia, Sep 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
  1. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    I can't decide if I'm going to do NaNo or not. I've got an idea for an original(!) novel, which I'd like to try, but I don't know if I can do it. The inspiration might fly away, and then where would I be?

Of course, the practical part of me is screaming "You're a highschool student! There is NO WAY you have time for this!"

I guess I'll just have to see!
  2. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    I've wanted to do NaNo for the past couple years, but there's no realistic way to do it. I'd have to give up the boards for November.
  3. Idrelle_Miocovani Force Ghost

star 6
    I've never been able to do NaNo. Too much music/theatre stuff that takes up my time. When you have to practice a minimum of two hours a day for one instrument, plus have rehearsals for Play X, plus school, plus the fics that you have to write least you be driven crazy... yeah, I doubt I'll ever be able to manage NaNo. :p
  4. Drabbi-Wan_Kenobi Jedi Master

star 4
    She's not evil. Jealous and bitter because her sister gets to fall in love and create her own art, yes, but not really evil. Well, okay, yes, she did call herself an evil woman, but that was because it was an ELO song.
  5. Seremela Jedi Knight

star 3
    NaNo might help... maybe. But I wonder if that isn't mostly for writers who start writing at the beginning of the story and keep going from there? Anyone here every participated? And are there people here who write differently, like maybe in scenes? Scenes that are from different parts of the story, making them jump from end to beginning to right in the middle etc? Or in some other different way?

I tried once if it would help when I switched to a different way of writing, but for me that didn't work :(

For those who think about NaNo but don't see themselves having the time, over on Live Journal they had a mini NaNo the last few years, where the ones participating write 100 words a day.

(By the way, I heard from another writer once that when the story didn't want to move along and the characters didn't behave, she wrote something in revenge in which they were tortured severely... very severely....)

6. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    I tried NaNo a couple of years ago . . . I think I got up to like 5,000 words.

It was sad. :p

IIRC, I figured out that if you could write 2,600 words a day, it would be possible, though. And yes, you aren't supposed to write a single word before Nov. 1. All your words are supposed to be written within that one month. I won't be trying it this year . . . I'm still working on the same story I started in January. :oops:

I do very much like the idea of tormenting recalcitrant characters, though. :p It made me miss my writing voodoo doll . . . it was the kind you can write on, and I put all kinds of writer's block-related things on it. Then I could stab my fiction problems at will.

I looked around for a virtual voodoo doll, but they just aren't the same. :( I'll have to just pretend instead.

Today I stab . . . LAZINESS!!
  7. Obi-Gon_Skywalker Jedi Grand Master

star 1
  8. ophelia Cards Against Humanity Host. Ex-Mod

Game Host
    star 6
    National Novel Writing Month--or NaNoWriMo for short. http://www.nanowrimo.org/ Lots of JC writers participate.

It happens every November . . . one of those months with only 30 days. [face_frustrated]

I suppose if they'd been really cruel, they'd have chosen February.
  9. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    [face_laugh]

And there's a support ggroup in FFR for those who do decide to go for it.
  10. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I managed to do it last year and am planning to again this year. Already have a few chapters blocked out.
  11. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    I did it last year. I got 30,000 pages done in the first five days, and then I got stuck, Uni intervened, my vision started to really deteriorate and November didn't end up being a good month for me last year. *grins* I think I'm going to do it this year, though. I'm going to do my planning ahead of time and make an outline and figure out the plot so I don't get stuck like I did last time.

And if you do 1,667 words a day every day, it is quite possible. That's like three pages *grins*. You can do that. I don't suggest doing the 5,000 I was gunning for, though. Can we say "burn out"? Layren did it last year. I read her novel and it's crazy, but she got it done.

Now I just have to decide on a plot. This is my chance to do something non-fan fic, so I jump at it.
  12. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Wow, yikes!!

It is a really good way to learn to pace yourself and make yourself write a bit every day.
  13. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    You don't have to write it in order... I figure very few people actually do that, I know I don't. All you have to do is write 50,000 words in 30 days, it doesn't have to be a finished project at the end!

My problem with NaNo is that November is a very bad month... especially this year. It is right before finals and I graduate in December so there will be a lot to do in November, but I'm going for it anyway! I've been looking forward to this since my pitiful showing last year! :)
  14. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yeah, when you think about timing, Feb looks like a better month :p
  15. mavjade It's so Fluffy Fanfic & New Movies Manager

Manager
    star 5
    I'd gladly give up two days for a different month! 8-}
    Hopefully after this year it won't matter anymore anyway! [face_praying] Though November is the beginning of respiratory season so I'll be dead tired at the end of the day, but I'll only work three days a week! :D
  16. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    No, no, no- Feb is exam time for me. I think March would be good. It's got 31 days *grins* and I don't think it's a major month in any school year. It happens to be the middle of vacation for me, for one.
  17. Quigonjecca Jedi Knight

star 3
    I'm really going to give a good go this year. I thought about trying it last year, but I decided I didn't have time. Now I've worked it out with my English teacher, that I can get credit for my novel, should I complete it! Anyway, I'm really looking forward to it! Maybe I'll actually *finish* something!
  18. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Spring break for college students, though I don't know how many actually go and get drunk in Florida :p
  19. Alethia Force Ghost

star 5
    Drinking is a large part of the culture here, something I don't think I'll ever understand. Maybe it's because the drinking age is so low...
  20. Ultima_1 Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I don't drink and the only times I came down here to Florida while I was in college were my internship and apartment hunting. The apartment hunting was during spring break, but only because I started my full time job 2 weeks after graduating.
  21. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yeah, but it's a big deal in college to go down and "do Spring Break" on the beach in Fl. Not everyone does (actually, plenty of people don't).
  22. Thorn058 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    I would like to say I did spring break at least once but I don't really find getting blitzed until you can't remeber anything all that fun and maybe I have out-grown that phase where urinating in public is cool and disrespecting women is treated as a badge of honor. Call me lame if you want but I would rather stay home then to look the fool as so many do on spring break.
  23. MsLanna Force Ghost

star 6
    I think the pointed of getting so drunk that you don't remember anything is not to remember anything since it's so embarrassing.:p
  24. NYCitygurl NSWFF Manager

Manager
    star 9
    Yeah, not my kind of thing. And a lot of other students do things with family or friends and take academic trips, and about half the US high schools have SB in march as well. So, that's why I'd rather have Feb.
  25. Thorn058 Jedi Grand Master

star 2
    Yeah but there is always a helpful friend with a camera or cell phone to snap pictures of you as you sit in a public trash can and pretend that you are oscar the grouch or R2D2. That is what friends are for, darn friends.
Moderators: Mira_Jade, NYCitygurl
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.