main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writer's Challenge 10 - Do you have a question? (Dialogue again)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kit' , Mar 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Can you believe that we are up to ten challenges already?

Do you dare except this challenge? Can you write a scene of dialogue between to characters in which the characters only speak in questions?

Sounds fun doesn't it?

Kithera

2. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Oh, wow, that's gonna be rough... but I think maybe I can swing it and still be understandable...

3. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Woot! She's back! [face_dancing]

I think I can give this a shot. I know I can give this a try. At least I think I can. [face_blush]:p

4. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Is there a minimum length for the Challenge?

A four line conversation wouldn't be too hard.

A conversation where each person speaks ten times on the other hand...

5. DarthDolly

DarthDolly Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    Ooo, sounds fun! I'm new but would like to give it a go, if that's alright? :)

And one question: does the story have to be all dialogue, or is some narration allowed?

6. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Can anyone say Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead?

Does anyone else have as much fun as I do playing the questions game in that play?

[ as soon as i find some time, i have to do this! ]

7. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    I checked out the last challenge and since the responses were posted on the challenge thread, I went ahead and posted mine here. I got inspired. It may be bantha dung, but blame it on my muse!

Title: Unanswered Questions
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin
    Timeframe: ROTS
    Summary: Anakin and Obi-Wan realize that they have many more questions than answers.
    Notes: Written for Writer?s Challenge 10 ? write a dialogue in which the characters speak only in questions. I followed the rules, from a certain point of view...

Unanswered Questions

?Why are you looking at me like that, Master?? Anakin asked sharply.

Obi-Wan lifted one brow. ?Why would you assume I am looking at you in any particular way??

?So you won?t admit to looking at me oddly?? The young man?s eyes narrowed.

?Why should I confess to something I did not do?? The Master?s tone was mild.

?Perhaps because it is the truth?? Anakin replied with a slightly condescending smile.

?Did you ever think that perhaps you are imagining things?? Obi-Wan turned from his apprentice and ignored the exasperated sigh that erupted from his former apprentice.

?Will you not look at me, Master?? For just a moment, he sounded much like the little boy who had stood, dusty and uncertain, in his new Temple quarters.

?And risk another inquisition?? He asked the question quietly, but turned back to face the young man in spite of his words.

?Do you think me a fool, Master?? Anakin spat out the question.

?More importantly, do you consider yourself a fool?? Obi-Wan could feel himself willing the boy to listen, truly listen to him.

?And do you dare call yourself my friend?? Anakin cried out.

?Am I not your friend?? The older man?s voice was resigned, a note of sadness woven through it.

?Can you not forgive me, Master?? Anakin?s bottom lip quivered for just a moment and then his white teeth bit into it hard, stilling the motion.

?Do you think you need my forgiveness?? Tell me Padawan, tell me the secrets that burden your soul. Tell me what makes you cry out in your sleep.

?How is one ever supposed to know what the great Kenobi is thinking?? Anakin asked bitterly.

?Will you not trust me, Padawan??

?Have you forgotten that I am a knight now?? A smirk played about his lips.

?How could I forget such a momentous occasion?? Obi-Wan?s smile was sad.

?Did you ever doubt that I would pass my trials??

?Doubt such a certainty?? His eyes reflected his pride in the young man standing so tall and straight before him.

The two men were silent for a moment, each needing to speak of things that were painful and dark. One was unable to do so because of fear and the other stricken silent because of love.

?Will you not trust me, Padawan?? The Master repeated the question, his voice soft.

?Do you think that there are not times I long to unburden myself?? Anakin turned away, his misery clear. ?Do you not think that there are nights when I want to scream out all the secrets I have held for so long??

?If you need to speak of these things, then why haven?t you done so??

?Why does Tatooine have two suns?? The young man?s broad shoulders lifted in a shrug, his dark tunic shifting with the motion. ?Isn?t that just the way it is??

Obi-Wan hesitated and the forged ahead. ?Will you make me a promise??

?If I do, will you believe me??

?Why should I not trust the man I love like a brother??

?Why not indeed?? Anakin agreed with a tight smile.

Their eyes locked; Obi-Wan?s eyes encouraged the young man to speak and Anakin?s gaze grew more detached with each passing moment. Then he grimaced and looked away, unable to bear the weight of his Master?s stare any longer.

Obi-Wan shook his head. ?Do you really think that vows are needed between us??

The young man did not speak. He did not look at his Master. Instead Anakin looked at his boots; the boots that were splattered with dirt and blood; that were almost invisible in the darkness.

The light had faded, leaving the two men standi

8. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Fairly long is probably going to be best in order to challenge yourself.

Yes, you are allowed to have narration in between. I also had a chuckle about Rozencranz and Guilderstien are Dead, as I have to admit that I borrowed this idea of Writerfix.com but when I saw it I was reminded of that movie (and some of my friends who love to play that game).

That was fantastic VaderLVR! Definitely not shoddy in any way. Great!

Kithera

9. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    OK, here's mine. Critique if you wish, I'm all ears!

Title: Throwing My Words Back At Me
    Author: SabyneAmberle
    Timeframe: KotOR, Pre-TPM
    Characters: Carth Onasi, Sabyne Amberle
    Summary: Travelling together on Taris, Carth and Sabyne get into an interesting discussion.
    Notes: Written for Writer's Challenge #10 -a dialogue consisting entirely of questions...with a hint of narration to make things easier on the eyes.

"Yes? What's on your mind?" Carth asked his lovely companion.

"Is it all right to ask more questions?" Sabyne asked cautiously.

"Do you not think I'm all ears, Beautiful?" Carth replied.

"Did you know I like the sound of that?" Sabyne responded.

"Which? The fact I'm all ears, or the beautiful part?" Carth asked amusedly.

"Do you think both? Or do you think it's the beautiful part?" Sabyne quipped.

"Do you think I think it's the beautiful part?" Carth laughed. "If I keep calling you that, will you call me something in return?"

"Can I call you 'Handsome Thug'? Or would that offend your sensibilities?" she teased.

"Will 'Gorgeous' do for the time being?"

"Do you think I'd disagree?"

"Can I ask you something more serious?" Carth asked soberly.

"Can I truly stop you?" she replied.

"Remember the Endar Spire? Did you have anything to do with that?"

"Did I have anything to do with that?" Sabyne was stunned. "Why would I?"

"Dammit, must you throw my words back at me? Can't you just answer the question?" He was getting annoyed.

"And if I said I had nothing to do with that? Would you believe me?" Sabyne snapped.

"Do you think I would?" Carth responded coldly.

"You don't trust anyone, do you?" Sabyne stated. "Don't you remember we're working together?"

"Don't you think I know that??" He shouted. "I think it's necessary to keep an eye on you regardless, don't you?"

"I doubt there's any way to change your mind, is there?" Sabyne seemed resigned to his choice.

"You don't doubt it, why should I?" Carth shrugged, indicating their chat was at an end.

10. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Great job Sabyne! =D= Did you find yourself saying "Ack! Too many questions!!!!" as you were writing. I thought I would go insane if I had to write the words "do" or "what" one more time! :D

11. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    EXCELLENT job Sabyne and VaderLVR! Both of those were fantastic.. maybe I'll come up with a bunny for this one..

12. MistiWhitesun

MistiWhitesun Jedi Master star 3

Aug 16, 2004
    Nice job, VaderLVR & Sabyne

Title: [b]A Not-so-simple Question[/b]
    Author: MistiWhitesun
    Timeframe: a few years post-NJO
    Characters: OC's
    Summary: A ship technician encounters an odd young woman and asks a simple question.
    Notes: Response to the [link=http://boards.theforce.net/Fan_Fiction_Resource/b10304/18895645]Writers' Challenge #10[/link]. The time period's as it is because the odd girl involved will actually appear in "Comeback"?she's the OC w/ two fics in my bio.

[hr]
    You're welcome to critique.

[hr]
    Hurtz Jeth, ship tech, stared at the petite young brunette clambering the different parked ships for fun. She moved awkwardly as if a small child, stumbling and windmilling and making all sorts of grunts and "oops" sounds, often falling. Her simple tan tunic and trousers were far too large for her small frame. Their edges were frayed and uneven, as if torn.

"Who are you?"

"Why d'ya need t' know?" she replied with confusion, stuffing her small side braid in her mouth and chewing. He guessed she was a bit slow.

"Must I have a reason besides curiosity to ask?"

A smile appeared, and she sat on the metal she had climbed, one leg straight out, one bent, with her chin resting on her knee. "Do I hafta answer everybody who asks me the wrong question?"

"What do you mean, 'wrong question'?"

"Does everybody go by a [i]name[/i]?"

"Why would you not go by your name?"

"Is everybody allowed to use his name?"

Hurtz started to answer before he made the connection. "Why aren't you allowed to use your name?"

"Who wants a dolt as a relative?"

Calling such an innocent-seeming kid stupid was mean. She obviously understood; he figured her apparent slowness was no more than eccentricity. "Who says you're a dolt?"

"Who says you have to say it for it to be said?"

"What?"

"Who says someone can't be called a dolt by everybody thinking that of him?"

"How can someone be [i]called[/i] that if it's not voiced?"

The girl's shoulder's slumped. She frowned and chewed her lip. Her dark eyes narrowed at something behind him. He turned to look.

A small fighter lifted awkwardly off the landing pad, swaying from side to side as if someone was lifting it with a rope.

He was about to yell at her to stop when it lowered. Hurtz faced the girl.

Her face had blanked into an odd sleepy expression. She yawned. "Does that answer your last question?"

13. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    Thanks, everyone! It was fun to write!

And yes, Vader, it got tiresome trying to think of new questions. It was tricky adapting the conversation to this form, and methinks some of the questions sound like something outta Shakespeare.

Imagine. William Shakespeare and Star Wars...funny combo.

14. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    OK, here's my response to this challenge. I played with taking it a bit further but I am not sure it works. I think too, that maybe adding the third character makes it a bit confusing but maybe not....

edited to fix messed up markups I hate it when I forget to "preview"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Tell me Han, were you born this stupid or did you have to practice?"

Was that Leia's breath tickling his ear as she spoke? Could he answer without giving anything away? "Do you let 'er rip at all your pilots? Or am I just lucky?" Will my answer tickle her ear? Does she really think this is my fault?

Why do I feel this need to cut him to size all the time? "Aren't you the one who keeps saying you're lucky?" Why is she so uncomfortable to be bound together with him no matter how she rearranges herself?

"Don't you mean skilled?" Does she know that her moving like that has got his elbow stretched to the screaming point? Is she trying to punish me?

"Skill? You call it skill to get us captured by Imperials?" Why does her hand itch to slap him? Does she care? With her hands bound behind her and her wrist bindings bound to his, how could she manage it anyway?

"You don't call it skill to have kept them from catching us until after we dropped our cargo? You don't call it skill to have kept them from destroying us? To have gotten them to keep us alive until now?" Doesn't she understand that every minute she is alive is a minute he can rejoice?

Doesn't he remember that I have been here before? "Don't you think that maybe, just maybe, you should have asked me what I wanted?"

Why doesn't she know that I know she'd rather be dead than in Vader's hands again? Why doesn't she know that I will protect her? "What do you think 'Captain' means, sweetheart? Do you think decisions on the Falcon are up for a vote?"

"Don't you think maybe you'd do better if they were? Don't you even listen to Chewbacca?" Would you have listened to Chewbacca if he had been there saying what I was? Do you respect him, even though you don't respect me?

"Chewie?" Do I listen to Chewie? Why would I? Listening to him telling me you love me is what got us into this mess in the first place isn't it? Would I have let you come along if I hadn't been suckered into thinking you might thaw a bit? Have I been quiet too long? "Why would I do that?"

"Because he's not a nerf brain?" Why did I think coming along on this run would be a good way to learn how he feels? Why do I care how he feels? How do I feel? If I am going to die today, do I want to leave things this way between us? Why has Han suddenly tightened his muscles?

"Did you hear that?"

"What?"

"Can you hear a pair of boots walking toward the door?"

"You can hear anything outside this room?"

"Can't you hear them? Think they'll be here before I can get my stiletto out?"

He has a stiletto? Why didn't he tell me?

"Do you want me to give it to you, Princess? Do you want to control your own future that way? Or do you want me to take care of it? You do know I understand, don't you?"

"Do you? Do you understand that I don't know what I want?"

Does she hear the door opening?

Does he know the door is opening?

"Do you two have any idea how hard it was to find you? Han, do you realize you were really pushing it there? Do you have any idea how close I came to losing the trail?"

"Luke?" Is it really him?

What did Luke mean about losing the trail? What trail? "Han, what does he mean about a trail?"

"Can I undo those binders for you Leia? Didn't Han tell you he had left a trail? Why wouldn't you tell her? Aren't you proud of the clever way you found to do it?"

Doesn't Luke know I'd rather she hate me for something I didn't do than for not succeeding at something I tried? "Do you ever know when to keep quiet, kid? Can we leave now?" Is she starting to suspect? Can I live with the knowledge that she knows what she means to me? Can I live with the knowledge that I m

15. VaderLVR64

Feb 5, 2004
    Wow! K_D That was amazing!

16. DarthDolly

DarthDolly Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm impressed with how meaningful the conversations in you guys' stories are! I decided to give this a go as well. Fine literature it is not, but what the heck.

Title: The Importance of Education
    Author: DarthDolly
    Timeframe: Anakin is in his mid-late teens.
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Anakin
    Notes: Response to Writer's Challenge 10, which was to write a scene of dialogue between two characters in which they only speak in questions.

Thump.

Crash!

?Master, what was in that big box in the kitchen?? called Anakin from the kitchen.

?What do you mean 'was'? And what box??

?You know, the brown one??

?Which brown one?? Obi-Wan replied, exasperated. All of the boxes in there were brown.

A pause. ?It wasn't anything important, was it??

?I don't know, why don't you open it and tell me??

?Wouldn't you rather just look yourself?? came the nervous reply.

?No, I . . . Padawan, what are you doing?? Obi-Wan asked, watching his Padawan dash out of the kitchen and over to the desk.

?Master, have you seen my homework?? Anakin replied.

?What homework would that be??

?My Diplomacy homework, don't you remember??

?You're looking for your homework? Is that what all the commotion is about??

?Have you seen it??

?Since when do you take a Diplomacy class, anyway??

?I'm not sure, didn't you sign me up for it??

?Why would I do that??

?You're my Master, isn't that kind of thing your job??

?You mean you want me to choose your classes for you?? Obi-Wan replied, amused.

?Do you want me to be late for class?? he shot back. ?Will you just help me look, pleeease??

Obi-Wan sighed. ?Where did you see it last??

Anakin pointed to the desk. ?Why isn't it there?? he whined.

?Where else could it be??

Anakin scrunched up his nose in thought. ?Did you throw anything away yesterday??

?That depends, did you put anything in the recycle unit??

?What do you think I am, Master, dense?? Anakin said indignantly.

Obi-Wan shook his head and tried again, ?Don't you sometimes do your homework at the dining table??

?Why didn't I think of that?? eyes widening, he scurried over into the kitchen again and ducked under the table, emerging with a triumphant grin on his face and a data pad in hand.

?Did you find it??

Anakin raced out of the kitchen, waving the data pad in Obi-Wan's direction. ?What time is it??

?Are you going to be late??

Anakin glanced at the chrono as he pulled on his boots. ?Do you think I can make it in ten minutes??

?Where is your class??

?Shouldn't you know that??

?Do you still think I signed you up for that class??

?Didn't you??

?Haven't we discussed this already??

?I've got to go, can we talk later?? And before Obi-Wan could say another word, Anakin was out the door.

Obi-Wan looked at the closed door for a long moment, and then let out a sigh. Being nearly a Senior Padawan, how could Anakin not know that his master couldn't sign him up for classes? And why would Obi-Wan sign him up for a Diplomacy, anyway? After all, diplomacy was never Anakin's favorite subject . . .

A smile spread slowly across his lips. It couldn't hurt to wait awhile before bringing it up again, could it?

17. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    It's like an episode of Whose Line Is It Anyway?, minus the one-upmanship.

18. Lola64

Lola64 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 10, 2005
    I love that part of Whose Line. So I decided to give it a try.

Finding his friends hadn't arrived he walked over to the bar to the only empty seat.

?Is this seat taken?? He smiled at the pretty curly haired brunette with soft blue eyes and a pleasing figure standing next to it.

?Does it look like someone?s sitting on it?? She smiled and he found it made her even more attractive.

The bartender had come over and asked what he wanted to drink. ?Can I get a star buster?? A touch on his arm brought his attention back to her. ?You like those??

Her hand held the same drink. ?You two?? It was actually his favorite and he couldn?t believe she was drinking one because he was the only one he knew that liked it. Everyone else drank either Correlian whiskey or Lomin Ale.

Leaving her friends to talk she turned her attention to him. ?First time here?? He was told about this place by his friends.

?What about you?? She was here with her friends.

?You come here a lot?? Her head shook no while she took another sip of her drink.

?Do you have a name?? She laughed at him. ?Doesn?t everyone?? That was true. Everyone had a name. ?Are you going to tell me what it is??

?Can?t you tell?? He didn?t understand her until she pointed to his silver cylinder. ?Aren't you a Jedi??

?Did my lightsaber give me away?? She knew who he was without even seeing his lightsaber.

?You?re Kyp Durron right?? She had recognized him and any possibility of her being interested in him ended right here for the most hated Jedi in the galaxy.

She seemed to have regretted her last question. ?Does it bother you that I know who you are??

?It doesn?t bother you?? She moved her chair closer. ?Why should it?? When he saw that she didn?t mind his spirits brightened.

?Do you need another?? Her drink was empty so he called the bartender over. ?You buying?? He was. ?You want another star buster?? She did and he bought a round.

A four piece band began to play and without hesitation Kyp stood and leaned over to talk in her ear. ?Would you like to dance?? Answering him without words her hand moved to his and was led to the dance floor.

It was a slower song and as they got on the floor his hand pulled her to him. His arms were around her, his right hand right under her left arm while his left hand was at the small of her back. Being not much shorter than him, her arms were easily wrapped around his neck, with her face staring into his. It was perfect swaying slowly, their bodies in tune with the other, as they moved around dance floor.

?Did you figure it out yet?? Her question confused him until she expanded, ?You did want to know my name, didn?t you?? She had said before that being a Jedi he should know. Instead of probing her he probed the two eyes that watched her dance with him. Her male friend was talking about how happy she appeared while the female was telling him how good the two dancers looked together.

?Is it Madea?? She was impressed but wasn?t going to not tease him. ?Why did it take you so long?? ?Why didn?t you just tell me??

?Where?s the fun in that?? Again she gave him her smile and he felt funny inside. Wanting to see what she?d do his face moved very close to hers. But just as he was about to kiss her the song ended and immediately a fast one came on.

He was going to walk off the dance floor but her hand stopped him. ?Where you going?? The song was too fast for him. ?You want to dance to this?? She nodded yes and kept him on the floor.

He was glad she did because as he moved side to side he got to watch as she danced in perfect time to the music, her hips moving around as she moved up to him and back.

The song ended and although he would have loved to watch her dance he was thirsty again. Taking her hand he brought her back to the bar. For the next hour they talked, their bodies sitting close to each other as they leaned to hear what the other was saying.

As the bartender called last call Kyp moved his finger in the direction

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.