Writer's Dilemma (Yes, this is a fanfic *winks*)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by obaona, Mar 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Hello, thanks for clicking! :) This is an odd little fic that I wrote for no reason. :p Hallis is not an OC, she was in The Starfighters of Adumar, and is indeed a reporter, though she normally works with holos. :)

Title: Writer's Dilemma (Titles = hard :p )

Rating: G

Summary: A writer tries to write.

Please, please give feedback. :) This is dedicated to everyone who has ever tried to write something and just couldn't do it. ;)

Finally, it has happened.

Jedi Master Luke Skywalker, famed warrior, man, and hero, has gotten engaged. As one of the galaxy?s most eligible bachelors, it is quite a shock to many. One wonders if even his sister, Leia Organa Solo, knew; abrupt indeed.

Hallis let loose a noise of pure frustration. She rested her hands on the sides of her finger-board, staring at the glowing screen, with the black letters glaring starkly at her. She was sitting in her office, an office in one of the largest newsgroups in the galaxy. She was a famous journalist. Her office was on the heights of Coruscant, with huge windows and a sweeping view. It was decorated lavishly in cool, pastel colors, with money spent by execs eager to get such a high-profile journalist on their team.

She knew Wedge Antilles personally. She had met him on Adumar, on one of her first serious assignments. She had helped him win against a plot a to get him killed, had helped the entire mission ? while, of course, getting the whole thing on holotape and staying safely out of the way. That story led to her current, still-going strong career. She did mostly holoreports, but occasionally she wrote a piece or two.

And here she was. Writing a story on Luke Skywalker?s stunning, surprising engagement. It was everywhere, and everyone was trying to get a different angle on why he was marrying Mara Jade ? a woman not known well by the public, but very well known by the military and Inspec services. Formerly the personal servant of Palpatine.

Still, a mere marriage, even Luke Skywalker?s, was a bit below her standards. She didn?t write that fluff anymore, hadn?t since she left the sludgenews for good. She shuddered, bracing her hands against the inside of her arms. Sludgenews was all about outrageous stories like Vader being alive and plotting to take over the Empire, and Palpatine?s love child being an alien.

It was a bit cold in the office, with her bare arms, and she let her long brown hair fall down her shoulders, sighing. She rubbed her neck, trying to get the crick out. She?d been sitting here for too long, trying to get this fluff article done.

Of course, her editor had asked she do this as a personal favor, telling her that her name on this would give them a new angle ? credibility. Make it stick out. She just knew that one day his letting her get off a longer-than-normal amount for her honeymoon those two years ago was going to come back to haunt her, and make her write some fluff piece. She just knew it. Her instincts had told her so.

And they were right.

But still, why couldn?t she write the stupid thing? Fluff pieces are exactly that ? fluff. Nothingness. Without substance. It shouldn?t be difficult to write at all. It was a two page article! Now, she normally didn?t write, per se, but she had done it plenty in her earlier days, before she got Whitecap, the droid (and holocam) she carried on her shoulder during assignments to catch everything ? and disguise herself in the process. Eccentric, but it worked. And besides, she had written plenty of essays and suchlike in college.

Sighing deeply, Hallis focused once again on her expensive, Galcrom computer screen. It was completely flat, hardly a centimeter thick, and sat on her exotic wood desk. Stretching her fingers and telling herself to concentrate, she settled her hands back down, intent on getting this thing done.

Yet even more fascinating is the tale of the woman he is to marry: Mara Jade. Very little of her has been made public, tr
  2. KatarnLead Jedi Knight

star 3
    First post! WOOO!

[face_laugh] I love it, dearest! Sooo true... I just wish I could do that when writing needs to be done! Good work...you've got Hallis down pat! But still...

I got first post! *dances around room*

:D
  3. Gabri_Jade VIP

VIP
    star 5
    Love it, Oba. I don't know Hallis, but I sure recognize that scenario. You did a great job portraying it. This was a surprisingly refreshing little vignette to come across! Great job! :D
  4. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Yet another vignette from the vignette queen. ;) :p

Good respite from all the Jedi and soldiers and bounty hunters we usually read about. And, more importantly, we sympathize.

*hugs* Nice job, oba dear. :)
  5. leia_naberrie Jedi Master

star 4
  6. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Burkie: Yeah, I wish it too. ;) A fic of wishful thinking about wishful thinking . . . no wait . . . :confused: Anywho, thank you! :D

Gabri_Jade: Thank you. :) Refreshing is what I go for . . . now. ;)

Jedi_Suzuran: :p Vignette queen? I've only written like 15 . . . [face_mischief] Yes, its an odd little fic. But I thought writers would sympathize. ;) Thanks. :D

leia_naberrie: Hallis is a character in the X-Wing novels. :)
  7. bobilll Jedi Master

star 4
    Wow, talk about easy to relate to! I don't know how many times I've hit that delete button... it must really like me now...Ick, fluff no fun to write.... but it's always there to haunt us... great viggie!!!
  8. Jedi_Johnson Force Ghost

star 5
    This is great Oba. Hallis is a character I had wanted to see more of after SoA. Thanks for bringing her back. :D

J_J
  9. Jedi_Suzuran Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Vignette queen? I've only written like 15 . . .

And the crown goes to...?

:p
  10. lla-reuqnoc-skowe Jedi Knight

11. KatarnLead Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ah...you know this is excellent work! You know what i think of it!

You know that I love anything of yours...

Anything of you.

Goodnight, dearest. Sleep sweet. *hugs*
  12. LadyPadme Manager Emeritus

star 5

Excellent, oba!

Perfect example of writer with block!

Now, what's the bit about the editor with his eyes going into blue sacs? Is he a VONG???

Nice to see that you're not suffering any writers' block...still going strong, oh Queen of Viggies.

13. crystalrain Jedi Master

star 4
    Writers block: don't I know the feeling!!! :mad:

That editor should know that stories are alive and when they don't want to be written by someone, they won't let that person write!

You've captured the feeling very well, oba :D
  14. Valiowk Force Ghost

star 6
    Woo hoo! Cool situation there. It's a unique angle, as though we ourselves were there in their time, not merely as onlookers into their lives.
  15. Shaindl Force Ghost

star 4
    LOL!

Oba, I meant to reply to this when I first read it and then I was called away. DRL got in the way then, and I didn't get a chance. But now I can - and as a fellow writer, let me thank you for putting in words what we've all felt at one time or another. I loved this - and have, more than once, trashed everything I'd written with more than a gleam of satisfaction.

Superb take on the GFFA!

Shaindl
  16. Bellyup Jedi Master

star 4
    *collapses* [face_laugh]

That is sooooo true!!

Ohh..*wipes eyes* Truly priceless...
  17. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    bobilll: Thank you! :D I thought writers would get the most enjoyment out of this. ;)

J_J: Ah, yes, I'm sad that her character was dropped too. ;) And you're welcome and thanks! :D

Su: :p

lla-reuqnoc-skowe: No, that's it. :)

Burkie: [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush] :D

LadyPadme: :p Thank you! Um - I did the blue sac thing because I figured I should make the editor an alien. Don't ask me why. ;) And I don't believe Vong have blue eye sacs! 8-}

crystalrain: Thank you! Yes, he should know . . . but he's an editor, and all he wants is a story. ;) Kind of like demanding readers . . . [face_mischief]

Valiowk: Thank you! :) I really had not thought of it that way . . . more like I was just putting an SW character into our shoes for once, rather than vice-versa. :D

Shaindl: I totally understand - DRL, evil. :mad: Anyway!! You're welcome, and thank you! I certainly know I've done exactly what Hallis does - hit that delete button with an evil grin. Sometimes stories just frustrate you until you want to murder them. ;)

Bellyup: Thank you! I'm glad to have gotten that reaction. :D
  18. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    Up, just to see if anyone is out there. :)
  19. KatarnLead Jedi Knight

star 3
  20. crystalrain Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm here. But I've already commented :)
  21. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    *giggles at Burkie and crystalrain* :p :p :p

Upping to see if anyone else wants to read this. ;) :p
  22. KatarnLead Jedi Knight

star 3
    Oh! Right! :p

Gotcha now, dearest!
  23. crystalrain Jedi Master

star 4
    I could always re-read and comment again... 8-}
  24. obaona Force Ghost

star 4
    *loses mind* :p

Only if you want to, crystalrain. ;) :p
  25. KatarnLead Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ever get the feeling that only two people are around at this time??? :p *cuddles*
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.