main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers of the EU are very inconsistent with one another

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Xen, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    <<The one I dont get is how everyone can defend the Empire having Mount Yoda on Dagobah (Triclops was the main character in this book, don't remember the name though) and it took place before Thrawn and the Emperor clone. >>

Once again, I don't recall the Empire at Dagobah. Can you post a quote from a source that says this?

<<The closest I came to real name calling was if you can't see any errors your blind or mentally incompetent, thats not real name calling. Then I read this comment.
    >>

Actually, I see ban-worthy name-calling. Better watch it.

<<The fact is the EU is the worst part of SW>>

That's not a fact, it's an opinion. And if you hate it so much, why do you read so much and play the RPG? It's EU also.

<<and truth be known, its not completly cannon, LucasArts states all the time only what you see in the movies is cannon. >>

First of all, it's spelled "canon". Secondly, it's all canon. The movies are just the first source - prime canon, if you will.

<<Though LucasArts hasn't explained why since 1977 the Clone Wars went from being generations long to being maybe a decade at best, kinda odd isn't it?
    >>

No. But what is odd is that you haven't researched your material very much before posting negative reactions to it. Some Clone Wars dating is off. This will likely spur a continuity fix sometime in the next year, probably in the updated Essential Guide to Characters. Don't get your panties in a wedgie.

<<So I will say I have been wrong about some of the things I said, but that doesn't change the way I feel about the EU. It needs help, maybe a movie based in this timeframe would do that, and hopefully Ron Howard or Steven Spielberg will direct it, that would be awesome. Id be more intrested in it then. >>

You'll be waiting awhile for that... ?[face_plain]

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    "What's in there?"

"Only what you take with you."

If you read the books expecting to find errors, you will find errors. If you read them expecting none, you will find none.

Since the second choice is infinitely better than the first choice, then that means there are no errors. It's that simple.

3. Wyl_Transerwnnyr

Wyl_Transerwnnyr Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 26, 2001
    You must realize that, while all of the EU authors use different characters, they all have different focuses. For example, I think Michael A. Stackpole is focusing primarily on the tales of the ace fighter pilots. He writes a sci-fi version of Black Sheep Squadron, and he does it well. However, when he gets into the mystical Jedi philosophies, he struggles more. On the other hand, writers like Kevin J. Anderson are all about the mystical Jedi philosophies, but struggle with the stories about everyday grunts. It is like comparing apples to oranges.
    In my experience, Most of the Bantam and Dark Horse make a pretty good effort to be consistant, in my experience, although they always leave enough holes in them for new stuff to come into play. Now certainly, some of the books do a better job than others, but to discredit the entire Expanded Universe on the basis of some of the less-skilled entries into it is a bit of a fallacy.

4. Matthew Trias

Matthew Trias Force Ghost star 6

Sep 8, 1999
    Z"<<The one I dont get is how everyone can defend the Empire having Mount Yoda on Dagobah (Triclops was the main character in this book, don't remember the name though) and it took place before Thrawn and the Emperor clone. >> "

The Empoire didn't have that.

A yeatr after the Battle of Endor,the NR renamed Mount Dagger on Dagobah,Mount Yoda. Luke requested it be named that.The Empire didn't nname it that nor did it EVER have have a base on Dagobah.

5. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    I say we resort to swearing whenever we lose an argument. That way no-one's confused as to who's points are invalid. :D

Actually thats not swearing, spend three years in the military, you will learn what swearing is then buddy.

As for this distasteful lie about the military you're not allowed to swear in the military. Or atleast while you're in uniform for it would be disgraceful.

6. Jedi_Xen

Jedi_Xen Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 26, 2001
    Tell that to Chief, I worked for him, he take two or three airmen in at a time and rip them a new one, then he'd come out and apologize to me for having to hear it.

You're not supposed to do alot of things in the military, technically you're not allowed to hold hands or kiss girls while in uniform, and the military even has rules dictating what you can and can't do in the bedroom. And someone called me anal. I spent 3 years in the Air Force, I know the rules but that doesn't mean people live by them 24/7

7. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Jedi_Xen...
    "And someone called me anal."

I think it's safe to say we certainly don't want to know what you did to earn that name. Shouldn't that be covered by the military's "don't ask, don't tell" policy?

I mean geez - whatever happened to good pilot names like "Maverick" and "Iceman." :D

8. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    LOL! No one should be dissin' Top Gun. :p

9. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    What... no one should be dissing, Wing Commander, ;).

10. PrinceXizor

PrinceXizor Former TF.N Foreign Book Cover Staff star 5 VIP

Jul 4, 2001
    Here comes the 'Maniac'... (I always liked Maniac...)

11. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    Maniac was cool.

12. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I feel the need. The need...for speed.

13. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    'Icehawk' is an awesome callsign.

14. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    How about Yoddeling Fool? :D Dunno why I just like to insult polka and/or Yoddeling(sp?)

15. jadesaber2

jadesaber2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    "I'm gonna bring him in closer."

"You're gonna WHAT?!?!"

Merlin was cool.

EDIT:spacebardoesn'twork.

16. Dargo_Seranek

Dargo_Seranek Jedi Youngling

Sep 27, 2001
    What an interseting argument.
    Jedi_Xen if there are so many problems with the EU then stop reading it. If so many people preferred your reworkings then go and create your own story instead of re-hashing other peoples works.
    Oh and the comment about the age of people on the boards, what is that about? Based on the maturity of some of your comments Im guessing your what?? 12? 13, maybe. You want to watch it, when puberty hits you'll start getting really moody.

Giles Roberts, World Trade Centre, Tower 2.
    RIP friend.

17. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    ok the mount yoda thing was a now follow me on this so you dont get lost, KIDS BOOK!!!!!!! and GL should not resign b/c its his creation and if you dont like the way it is going then go cry somewhere else, b/c i am sick to death of a bunch of whiny people crying b/c the TPM wasnt what they wanted it to be. and the dark empire thing just flat ut sucked. there is no way in hell that luke would have gone to the dark side so therefore the whole story is BS.

18. AdmiralZaarin

AdmiralZaarin Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2001
    That was a weird post. Started out pro-EU then ended anti-EU.

BURN HIM!!!

19. JediLord

JediLord Jedi Master star 4

Oct 15, 2000
    Im sorry if my opinion wasnt made clear. i loe the EU but Dark Empire sucks and i cant stand it. other parts of the EU suck also, but i can deal with them.Luke to the adrk side?no way.

20. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Jul 9, 1999
    I thought I'd bring this up again.

21. Knight1192

Knight1192 Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 5, 2000
    Maul did not actually kill Dashra and her master, they actually killed themselves. Dashra is questionable as to whether Maul's blow was fatal or not. It could indeed have taken her out. However, it is also possible that the medical droids could have saved her life. However, just like her master, she caused an explosion in an attempt to take Maul out. And just like her master, she died in the explosion. Maul was nothing but hype. The only Jedi he ever truely killed was Qui-Gon, and only then because me managed to get lucky.

22. Sturm Antilles

Jun 22, 2000
    Yeah, I feel like beating some more heads together.

23. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Xen, you seem to have some serious issues with the Expanded Universe. However, swearing & name calling is not likely to be too terribly presuasive here. More likely, it'll get you banned.

First off, let's address your issues as stated:
    Have you ever noticed that writers of the EU are very inconsistent. You have in one book the Empire establishes a base on Dagobah, they name the base Mount Yoda. Hello!!!! Nobody knew where Yoda was, Luke didn't reveal it until the Thrawn trilogy.

OK, right here from the get-go, you're off. Please get your facts straight. As has been pointed out, it was an Alliance base, not Imperial.
    Second of all there were only a handful of Super StarDestroyers, but now in the EU every Tom Dick and Harry had a Super Star Destroyer,

"Don't worry, Luke. The Empire has lots of command ships." - Han Solo, Return of the Jedi Disputing the Word of George, are we?
    oh no its Private Joe Bag of Donuts, the super military genious and his Super Star Destroyer he can single handedly be a threat to the New Republic, but as always the New Republic gets a lucky break somewhere and defeats the extremely evil Empire.

First off, supposedly a SSD was supposed to be a match for an entire fleet by itself, so of course they'd be a threat to the NR. Don't even get me started on all the "lucky breaks" in the movies. It seems to be a GL trademark...
    Then you have the Dark Empire series, where in the devil did the Empire get that kind of fire power, in the year previous to it Thrawn was desperate for capital ships, hence why he wanted the fleet of Dreadnaughts lost for several decades,

Already covered. The Emperor Reborn was hoarding ships.
    but now the Empire has a fleet of Eclipse and Soverign class Star Destroyers that make a SuperStarDestroyer look like a mouse next to an elephant. I wont even go into the TIE/D and the World Devestators.

Well, I seem to remember this really interesting scene in ESB where you see a shadow fall across a massive Star Destroyer. You find out that there's something even bigger: a Super Star Destroyer. The precedent for "bigger is better" in the Empire has been set by none other than....George Lucas.
    Fortunatly Zahn came back and brought some credibilty to the EU again. It was unforutantley it was short lived.

"Here we go again." - See Threepio. It's interesting to note that St. Timothy of Zahn is guilty of the same offenses you accuse other EU authors of, but that's okay... [face_plain]
    I have read little but I do understand about the only way to kill a Vong is to cut its head off???? Cut its head off what is this the Highlander

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]
    *sniffle* I'm sorry, I can't go on any further!

I tell ya what: if you think that EU doesn't gel with what George Lucas has in mind for AGFFA, I invite you to discuss it here.

24. Corran

Corran Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 4, 2000
    My favorite is this quote:
    "I do have an imagination, I rewrote all of the EU save the Thrawn trilogy for my Roleplaying game"
    And this combined with saying that u havnt read the NJO books. And this combined with all the others errors u have come up with I cant see how u could have rewrote ALL of the EU.
    U also say that we are afraid of youre version of the EU but thats not true I would love to read it but i dont think u are man enough to give it to me so i can read it.

And if u are so good to write why not try to write for GL ????

25. Kwenn

Kwenn Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 30, 2001
    :D :D :D
    Bashers are so funny. They don't bother to check all their statements.
    I thought you could kill a Vong by the weak spot in it's armpit? (I haven't read Edge Of Victory yet, so they might solve that problem then, I don't know.)

It's good to be out fighting again.

-Commander Kwenn, EUDF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.