Writers of the EU are very inconsistent with one another

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Jedi_Xen, Sep 26, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jafo Force Ghost

Gorden Bennett (Northern British Expresion), will you guys all please carm down !

I have not been on the boards that long so I don't know if this sort of thing happens all the time but it is more like a discussion worthy of AICN than TFN. From my readings here I thought this was the place for sensibilities but in the middle there we had a real bit of 'I'm older than you you 15 year old sap'. Well I'm over thirty so that argument is out the window.

Yes there are things which are written which need to be addressed in further writtings. The point should be that they are addressed and not left hanging. the lusyanka turns up in Crimson Empire as a New Republic Command Ship to allow consistancy. Yes there are books which are below par in the quality stakes (Young Jedi Knights etc.) but again the (peceived) errors are dealt with (Mara was not present as she was helping Kard.

Unfortunatly you have to read everything to plug the holes, but at least it does plug them which is more than can be said for other pieces of fiction
  2. Rouge Null Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Every person on these boards that I know will admit there are some glaring inconsistencies within the EU. That's what comes from having multiple authors.

I realize that this has probably already been said, but the fact of the matter is most of the EU is not going to fit into the Film storyline. That's been proven by the fact that GL placed E1 in a time frame which the books did not coincide with. That could be seen different ways, either Gl doesn't give a g*d*mn about the books, or the authors got it wrong, or the editors were asleep at the wheel. That's irrelevant. What is relevant is that though the books clash in and of themselves, and with the movies, the SW story is science fiction, which means that we as readers and watchers are supposed to suspend our disbelief and take it for what it is. A form of entertainment.
  3. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling

star 10
    Wrong. There are no inconsistencies at all between the EU and the movies. If you find one, it is merely the result of your not doing sufficient research on the subject.

For example, if one reads only the Thrawn Trilogy, that person might assume that the Noghri timeline is way off and that Vader helped them when he was only 6 years old. That person might view that as an error.

However, if that same person had read everything (more specifically, the Essential Guide to Aliens), he would realize that it is not an error at all.
  4. Sturm Antilles Former Manager

star 6
    Actually, an even earlier source that corrected that is the Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook ( 1996. ) :D
  5. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    In response to whoever said they regarded whatever the better author wrote as fact:

I know where you're coming from. I definitely would like to pretend that the events of "The Crystal Star" never happened, but unfortunately that can't be done. See, after The Crystal Star was written, any author writing after that would have to reference it to make sure what was written matched up with what was said in The Crystal Star. If they didn't, then that is an error on the part of the author referencing the book.

I picked a neutral example because I can see you despise KJA. However, the Jedi Academy Trilogy came a full 4 YEARS before Mike Stackpole referenced anything from it. I am speaking specifically of the age of Kyp Durron, as I've done in a few other threads, but here it is again. Since KJA stated in words in one of the chapters of the JAT that Kyp was 16, HE'S SIXTEEN! No questions asked, he is sixteen years old cuz KJA said so! Stackpole calling him eighteen is just wrong. It doesn't matter if Stackpole is a better writer or not. Stackpole could totally rearrange the structure of events of the GFFA and you'd still believe his word over someone else's because you like him better? You're welcome to, by all means.

But, in general, if something is stated as fact in one story and then something is said that contradicts that fact in a later story, the one that came first chronologically is the correct one.

Jae Angel
  6. Mavrick889 Jedi Master

star 4
    Not true necessarily. Although later sources are eventually ret-conned to fit better, many authors ignore previously written material.

KJA ignored Kessel being a lush jungle planet in "The Second Kessel Run." It's a mishapen asteroid planet in KJA's books (this was later smoothed over in the Rebellon Era Sourcebook). He also contradicted "Way of the Wookiee" (Crispin's Rebel Dawn smooths this mistake over as well).

This is also true of much of the info written in the Glove of Vader series. Two weddings? The one in the final book of the series happened, and yet LFL commishioned Courtship of Princess Leia to cover the events as well. Most references to the wedding now, are references to Wolverton's novel, not the Glove of Vader books (this has yet to be fixed officially).
  7. ReaperFett Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    unless it changed due to some huge mistake
  8. NarundiJedi Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    Yes, the Glove of Darth Vader books are the exception to the rule. I used to have all of them. Unfortunately I let my untrustworthy young friend borrow them and I haven't seen them since!

But yeah, I don't think anybody took those books seriously. I did, of course, because I was a fifth grader at the time and it was my first Star Wars literary fix besides the Thrawn Trilogy, but in terms of literature it was a few fries short of a happy meal. That's why the authors go with what happened in Wolverton's story, because it's a grown-up book. Not all adults are going to read the kids books. So I guess the kids books were sorta not regarded as canon, in a sense. That's funny, because other kids books such as the YJK and the JJK are taken as canon. Hmmmm, funny. I guess a secret city of the jedi on Yavin Four was a bit too far-fetched for some ;)

And yes, KJA isn't immune to mistakes. Authors REEEEEEEEEEALLY need to research stuff about the universe before they go blabbing off stuff in a book. Maybe they should get some of us nitpicking fans to help them ;)

Jae Angel
  9. Valiento Jedi Grand Master

star 7
    "KJA ignored Kessel being a lush jungle planet in "The Second Kessel Run." It's a mishapen asteroid planet in KJA's books (this was later smoothed over in the Rebellon Era Sourcebook). He also contradicted "Way of the Wookiee" (Crispin's Rebel Dawn smooths this mistake over as well)."

Actually KJA was following after the kessel established in the GODV series. The JAT sourcebook actually talks about places mentioned in GODV on that planet. Matt knows more details about it than me though.

Anyone wanting more GODV linking, one need only check gamer, EC, WOTC material etc.

Oh, and I'd never say that Kessel was really a paradise, mushrooms aren't paradise in my book. But I can understand(in real life) how someone might believe a dessert it paradise if they grew up there and it was home to them. Beuty is in the eye of the beholder.
  10. padmeamidala55 Jedi Master

star 4
    I think the EU book are the best. I really like the jedi apprentience books. So jedi_xen what is your problem with EU? What do you not like about it?
  11. Rox Administrator Emeritus

star 6
    This thread was closed at the maker's request.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.