main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers Race--- It Is Done!!!! * 1st--duskwings, * 2-DarthIshtar & Drabbo_Fett, 3-Indra

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Hee hee. I'm very proud of my poison earring. That was a flash of genius.

2. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Now as tempting as it is to let you two at it, I am somewhat scared with what you would come up with.

Probably wise. I figured if I started to run out of PT characters, I'd have a 20-year torture session to get us to the OT. [face_devil]

3. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I thought as much, but when Kettch didn't include it in the second update post, after the break, I thought that there might have been something wrong with it. But evidently, the only thing wrong is that darn boards! [face_frustrated]

Thanks for the clarification, Kettch. I'm glad that's all settled. :) And I probably have to go, too -- midterms beckon. [face_worried]

-duskwings

4. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Wow! I am so sorry I missed this. I was on edge all night! My ISP crashed,:_| :_| :_| :_| :_| I am not kidding, about half a minute before you posted Challenge 9! It didn't come back until long after I gave up and went to bed. Hours and hours of no internet at all! :_| :_| :_| :_| :_| I was calling the poor guy at hte office every ten minutes. Fortunately, he likes that cause it give him a chance to complain too...

This was so much worse than the add three words challenge! I wish I could have played...

Ishtar you are horrible! but I think I'd like to try your challenge... :) [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Hey, what's the time limit for the make up challenge and do we post it here or PM it?

Edit: I was so distraught over missing this that I could not type correctly...

5. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Kettch, is it okay now if we edit our Challenge Three responses?

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    OH, good, I'm corrupting the boss... FEAR MY WRATH, ALL YE PEOPLE!

7. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    Hey, just wanted to let it be known that I think I'n going to sort of disappear from this! It makes me sad, but I don't really have the time. :( Got to deal with two plays and SAT prep, so I'm booked! Good luck to everyone else! :)

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Good luck with SATs and plays! I know how stressful that can be. :)

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    So, anyone got an idea of when scores will next be posted? Out of curiosity.

10. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I thought Kettch said sometime today...

11. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I thought that was true. Oh, well, we'll be patient. I just wanted to know if we'd have a vague idea of the standings going into the final challenge.

12. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    I'm starting to wonder. She said she'd be back to post after she ran an errand last night, and since then, not a peep. [face_worried]

13. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, my boards.theforce.net was pretty messed up last night.

14. Indra

Indra Jedi Master star 3

Dec 31, 2003
    What is it they always say on TV? 'If I'm not back in 15 minutes, call the police.' I think it's been more than 15 minutes. :p

15. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    Hmm, the one I remember is the kind of story you tell around the Campire at night. You know, the first guy leaves the tent when they hear a noise and says, "If i'm not back in fifteen minutes, go for help." And when he doesn't come back a second guy leaves the tent and when he doesn't come back a third guy leaves... Until there's just one guy left and the sound happens again...

I wonder who's going next?

16. Drabbo_Fett

Feb 5, 2003
    Or the classic "If I'm not back in fifteen minutes, uhh, keep waiting." :p

17. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    pokey
    Sorry about your crashing. :( The make-up story should be in by Thursday night and it should be PMed.

Drabbo
    Yes, you may edit challenge 3 entries at any time.

Lusa
    Sorry to see you go. We do only have one more challenge left...not to tempt you or anything. :) Good luck on your studying/preparation; I hope you do well. :)

Everyone Else
    Yes, I tried multiple times last night and this morning to get on the boards and I just got a blank screen and that little annoying symbol at the top of the screen that indicates a picture did not load. It was quite frustrating. So, obviously I could not post the entries from the eighth challenge nor go over the entries from the ninth challenge to score them.

Important Information:
  18. The challenge 8 entries will be posted in a few minutes
  19. .
  20. You will get a bonus point for sending in a judgement of the 8th Challenge entries, and you may vote even if you did not participate.

21. I will get to scoring the points from the 9th challenge as soon as I can but as I could not do it last night when I was planning on it, I do not know when I will get to it--I have two midterms on Thursday.

22. If the boards act up again, I am not responsible for my actions. :)
  23. The final challenge will be posted tomorrow.

24. The final scores of the entire race will be posted by Saturday morning

26. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Instructions for Voting on Challenge 8 Entries:

27. Vote for your top three stories. List them in order of best, second-best, and third-best strictly by letter. So, for example, your vote may look like this "X, Z, Y"

28. You must PM your vote

29. You may vote even if you did not participate in the 8th challenge; however you must have participated in at least one of the challenges of this race to vote

30. Do not worry about word counts; I will add the bonus points later

31. Entries must be submitted by Thursday at 5pm

32. Judge soley based on Interest, which story is the most Interesting. Do not base your judgement on grammar, coherence, or anything but how interesting the story is.

And the entries are...

Story A

Six weeks after a ragtag group of Rebels made a name for themselves at a place called Yavin IV, Avril Nelib joined the Rebellion. She told no one, since her family had been supporters of the current hierarchy since before it was fashionable.

They wouldn't understand her reasons. They would say she was nineteen and stupid, too young to know what she wanted.

They wouldn't understand because she couldn't remember the last time they had known what the right thing to do was.

She couldn't fly, had never killed someone, and wasn't good at lying then, but her cell leader put her to use for one very important reason: she was reliable.

They couldn't use her too frequently, since the stormtroopers would undoubtedly be a suspicious of a twenty-one-year-old cantina waitress who had more visitors than paychecks.

So far, there had been five in the last two years. Two were Intelligence agents, three were civilians needing a place to hide from their pasts until they could sign on formally with the cell.

Number Six came into the cantina an hour before closing. She ordered the Nightbird Special and a glass of water, eating at a leisurely pace.

She was obviously experienced at this cloak-and-vibroshiv stuff. Those who were either very inexperienced or very civilian had the tendency to glance around incessantly, convinced that the entire Imperial garrison would be waiting for them to finish the meal that they finished in record time. She would arrange a meeting place while they fidgeted, more out of annoyance at the attention they were undoubtedly drawing than a sense of compassion.

Number Six ate her meal as if she had just come off a long shift at the nearby factory. She carried herself with the slightest slouch and seemed absorbed in her own world, but Avril knew that she would be picking up every conversation worth listening to.

There were four warrants in this sector alone for the woman's arrest and each of them had a different name under the holo. Ruc, her cell leader, had called her Sirian Cohr. The warrant Avril had last seen for Number Six was for a younger woman with grey eyes, brown hair, and a facial scar.

A blonde with tired blue eyes and freckles was something entirely different, but Avril knew she was the same person.

"Long day?" Avril inquired conversationally.

"You might say that,? came the reply. ?I just got into town and missed the last transport to Darfi. Might as well be well-fed and bored stiff here.?

Avril smiled. ?Need a place to crash??

///////////////////

Story B

Jhari Bluestar woke as the first of Tatooine?s twin suns came up over the horizon. Dawn was her favorite time on the moisture farm. Outside, the vaporators were busily humming trying to collect the last of the night?s dew before the heat of the suns stripped away the rest of the precious vapor. She loved to spend a few moments each morning standing next to the window, reveling in the start of a new day, watching as the rising suns made the sands start to shimmer, first silver and then gold.

She sat up and then turned toward where her husband of ten years was sleeping, smiling fondly as she remembered how her friends in Mos Espa had all called her crazy when she?d announced

33. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    Hmm, there are quite a few stories set on Tatooine... I don't know why that surprises me... :) They're all good though, so who am I to complain. :)

34. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Great entries. I've voted. And i like the variety of roles the OCs played, janitor to waitress, to moisture farmer's wife, everything in between...

35. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    don't I know it! way to make it tough on a girl... :) I voted too, BTW.

36. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    All of them are great! Although I had to keep reminding myself in the last one that Bendu was the guy's name-not a band of dismissed Jedi headed up by Mace and Qui-Gon...

Edit: Oh and I voted too, tough choices though.

37. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    I just finished finding the "legit" posts for the make-up challenge...I have to say, I'm a little frightened... :)

Couple more questions, since i'm actually gonna try and do this...

Is there a length limit? Do we have to keep these deaths in order? I think I had a third question, but I've forgotten it...

Sorry if I'm being a pest. I noticed nobody else has asked any questions... am I the only one doing this?

38. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Excellent stories all... still can't quite decide though.

39. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    pokey,

No word limits, but yes they have to be kept in order. Also, do bold-face the legit parts so that I can check through them easily. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.