main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers Race--- It Is Done!!!! * 1st--duskwings, * 2-DarthIshtar & Drabbo_Fett, 3-Indra

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, how complicated. I'm glad I was there.

2. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    I'm doing it, too. ;)

Are we allowed to add stuff in the middle of someone else's sentence?

3. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Yep. :) Just don't change the order or the posts themselves.

4. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    People did a really good job with the Challenge 8 stories. It's actually really hard to just choose three. :)

5. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, we're almost done! ::Rubs hands and grins evilly.::

6. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Welcome to the Final Challenge of the First Star Wars Writers Race!

Challenge 10: Not What You Dreaded

Points Awarded: 1st- 7 points, 2nd- 6 points, 3rd- 5 points, 4th- 4 points

Judge Points: NA

Start Time: Wednesday, March 16th at 5 pm

Duration: 30 hours

End Time: Thursday, March 17th at 11 pm

Judged Based on: Humor

The Challenge: Many of you probably considered that?following earlier patterns?this challenge would be a story based on the kill-a-thon you created in the ninth challenge or, even worse, a conglomeration of all the challenges. Surprise! What you dreaded is not what you get. :) The final challenge of the race is? to write a 700 words or less story based on the race. The Force tells me that you are confused. What kind of story about the race, you ask. My answer: whatever you want. You may write a story based on the kill-a-thon or you may redo one of the challenges given during the race. Or, you may write something entirely outside of the challenges given in this race. The only requirement is that it be about the race and in the Star Wars theme. You might write a story about the Star Wars characters taking revenge on you evil writers for what you did to them in the challenges. You could write about the insanity from the race spreading to all the fanficcers on the boards and corrupting all of their stories. Whatever you like as long as the story has (a) an element of Star War in it, and (b) is about the race.

Special Instructions: This challenge will be judged based entirely on humor. Make sure to PM the entries and do not discuss your story in any way that would enable other members who are judging the stories to determine which story belongs to you. Final results for the race should be posted by Saturday.

7. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    All right! This is excellent! I can't wait to read everyone's entries!

8. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh, I have such a weird idea.

9. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    It is really not fair when your muse decides to speak up at quarter to three in the morning. My response to challenge 10 just started writing itself in my head, uninvited...

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Mine was just so weird to me, but I got it in at 442 words.

11. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Kettch--Title doesn't count in word count right?

12. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    I just sent mine in. I actually found it very difficult to write, and was entirely uninspired until a few hours ago. But then inspiration came, and I wrote. I think it's funny, but I have an odd sense of humor, so I can only hope that the rest of the world will, too. ;)

-duskwings

13. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Hey, my story has a lot of markups that are pretty vital to the coherance of hte story. It's really confusing without the bolds and itallics.

I'm not sure how they work out in PM's though, will it be a problem if I just treat it like a regular post? is there any chance it could mess up the word count?

Sorry, my newbie status is showing again. I've got it ready to send, just let me know about how I should handle the markups...

14. Knight_Dilettante

Knight_Dilettante Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 2002
    Pokey if you do one last global edit where you put a space between the [ and the code itself. IE, [ i]this way[ /i]. Then if whoever you are PMing to needs to post it they can just global edit out that extra space. Now what I have done is nest them when it was important to the story so that the person I PMed it to got the formatting too. So I would do two codes and then put the extra space in on the first (or outer set) and the inner set which was normal would encode it in the PM.

IE to them it would look [ i]like this[ /i] you see.

If that didn't make sense let me know and I'll try to explain differently.

KD

15. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    Thanks bunches, That makes perfect sense. But it will definitely affect the word count. do you think I should include one with formatting and below it paste a copy minus the mark-up codes?

Edit: Nevermind, I think I've got it figured out. :) Thanks for the help! If someone knows any rules about how this is supposed to work, they would be appreciated... :)

16. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    Well, when Kettch copies it and does the edit to take out the extra formatting before posting it the word count would go back to what it was before you put in the second set. I'm not sure if word counts that stuff or not (probably does, it seems to be dumb that way) so if you're that close you probably want to check it without the extras I guess and then go back and put them in.

if word counts { i} as two words but {*i} as one you can use any character that doesn't have a formatting meaning to separate the [ from the rest of the code. You don't have to use only a space. You could do [*i]text[*/i] and the PM recipient can do a global change of [* to [ and it works.

KD

17. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    Well, what I finally did was put the story in the message twice. The first one was as it should be read with italics and bold The second one I listed the way you showed me so that it had [ i] italics [/i] and [ b] bold [/b]

I figured he could use the first one for the word count and the second one for posting. *shrugs* I need the practice with the mark-up codes anyway, though I've pretty much got those two down. :) I don't want to complain about he mark-up codes because I havent' noticed that they are usually a problem... but sometimes they can be a real pain. :)

Thanks for the help.

18. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, so...it has come to the end of things.

19. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    That was fun... :p

20. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    I'm starting like the markup codes. bolding in the middle of italics and block quotes to set flashbacks off and stuff is kinda fun. And I've finally gotten to where I can pretty much type them where I want them. Which probably means the new boards will be different.

But what I really wanted to say was, I remember someone around here, maybe Arin_Atona (something like that I think) has made a thing where you can just use Word and format using Word and then his/her little tool will convert that for you into the appropriate markup codes. I think it came up in the stuff about awards this last time. You might try checking those threads. Or maybe someone knows what the heck I am talking about. Of course, if you don't have Word than this tool isn't gonna help you any.

It kinda seems to me to be the same amount of work or maybe even more but if you use word and put in the italics and stuff there then you might want to check out the code thingy.

KD

21. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    I just submitted my Challenge 10 entry and I'm already looking forward to the next Race. Is that wrong?

Hey Kettch, when is the next Race scheduled for? I'm sure I remember you saying you wanted to do this a few times a year... :)

Edit: Thanks, Dilettante, I'll look for that. almost sounds like too much trouble, though. Especially since I've almost got this figured out and, like you said, it'll probably be different on the new boards. :) I do have word, though I don't use it much. I prefer Word Perfect.

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I think we're all looking forward to it, because this was just such fun!

23. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Warning: the following comments were written in spite of a bad headache so I am not responsible for the run-on sentences, etc. :)

KD,

Thanks for helping pokey. :)

pokey,

Sorry I did not respond last night. My husband is leaving for Romania (business trip) today and since I have been somewhat ignoring him for a bunch of nights due to the challenges I decided to just spend last night talking with him. I'm glad KD helped you, though, and if there are any word problems we'll fix them so your story isn't disqualified or anything but I think you should be fine. :)

As for when the next challenge will be... I figured that the race takes about three weeks, let's say a month since in future races I would like to add a Final Death-Match Round for the top 10 participants, or something like that. So, if a race takes a month I was thinking two or three months in between would be good. That way the race doesn't get old doing it too often. The next one would then take place either the beginning of June or July. I will probably pick June since I may be moving out of the country this August. :)

I'm glad ya'll liked it so much. :)

24. Knight_Dilettante

Jul 24, 2002
    My pleasure, Kettch.

And pokey, I'm with you on the using MS Word thing. I write in something else and then paste into Word for word counts and anything else I might want from there.

I liked Word a lot better about three or four versions back. I'm such an old fogey sometimes. [face_laugh]

KD

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Good for you for taking care of the poor boy. Give him hugs from everyone who enjoyed this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.