main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers Race--- It Is Done!!!! * 1st--duskwings, * 2-DarthIshtar & Drabbo_Fett, 3-Indra

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    I liked Word a lot better about three or four versions back. I'm such an old fogey sometimes.

Heh, well I prefer the Office 2000 version, mostly because what I had before that was the version that was for Windows 3.1 which my parents still have on one of their computers. I think it is only used for Solitaire now though (but it is kind of amusing to play it in black and white-monochrome monitor).

2. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Thanks to both of you for the help and No worries, Kettch. That's why I posted ehre instead of PMing you. If ifgured if you were her, cool, and if not someone else could help me out.

On that note, KD, my (Corel) Word Perfect works in what is calls "Microsoft Word Mode" and i don't know what, exactly that means, but it has no problems opening and saving Word Documents. It's word count also matches Word's wordcount. *shrugs* It works, so I'm nto going to think too hard about it. :)

So Kettch, by your math, we're going to do, maybe, three of these a year? Spiffy! I'm looking forward to it! This has been great... :D

3. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    what I had before that was the version that was for Windows 3.1 which my parents still have on one of their computers

That's the version I grew up with. My parents get a spiffy new computer, I get the old 3.1 one. :cool: I used to love WordPerfect. *sigh*

My C10 entry was in last night. :)

4. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
    Hey, Kettch, just want to praise you on a job very well done. This was a creative and interesting challenge, bringing out a lot of ideas that might never otherwise have been born. It was good for all of us to stretch ourselves in fun and interesting ways.

Kateydidnt and I are collaborating to bring out a full-length fic based on my "Morning Has Broken" vig. You guys can watch out for it on the Saga board coming soon. right now going by the title "New Hope, Only Hope." We're really, really excited about it, and we have about million bunnies breeding from it. And it wouldn't have happened without this challenge.

Thanks again! Looking forward to seeing the final results, and to doing this again sometime.

5. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    We're really, really excited about it, and we have about million bunnies breeding from it.

Yeah, those plot bunnie are breeding like...breeding things. ;)
    Maychorian and I have emailed each other a dozen times over the past four days figuring out the general direction of the story and so I am now involved in my first collaboration.

We'll post the link here when we start posting the story.

Thank you again for organizing this, it has been so much fun. I'm glad you plan on doing this more because I know I will join again.

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
  7. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Ish, just curious, how many times a day do you change your icon?

8. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    It's sad that this is coming to a close. :( But thank you, Kettch, for coming up with a wonderful and novel set of challenges, and for organizing this whole crazy thing. I had a lot of fun, and I know that I wrote more in the past couple weeks than I have for quite a while. I'm glad that there's going to be another one in the summer -- I can hardly wait! :D

-duskwings

9. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Um, I changed because my St. Patrick's Day one no longer applied.

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    I just found out that my abusive husband is being kicked out of the school, put under restraining order, and will leave the state pretty permanently on Tuesday after signing the annulment papers. Now, if I could just come in second or third or whatever on this, it would make my week!

11. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Ish I was just wondering because it seems to change often. Anyway, I 'm glad things are working out for you.
    Oh, come on believe in yourself--you might come in first! :D

12. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    Hey Ish, congratulations on things working out so well for you. I'm very glad to hear everything's turning out so well.

Actually, you're doing pretty well on teh score so far. I'd wager on you placing first.

13. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Yay, Ish! :D It sounds like everything's working out well for you. I'm glad. :)

*yawns widely* Sleep-time now. Incoherence imminent. G'night, all.

-duskwings

14. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    With duskwings and me having missed an unjudgeable challenge, not a chance!

15. pokey1984

May 10, 2004
    With Duskwings also missing the Challenge, Ish, All you'd have to do to catch up would be to place a couple of times and there are still two challenges to judge and score.

The odds are not that bad, actually, too bad we never started a pool... oh, well, it's probably against the rules anyway. ;)

16. maychorian

maychorian Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 7, 2005
  17. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    maychorian and kateydidnt
    That's great about your story. :) Keep us updated.

Ish
    I'm glad things are going well for you. :)

Everyone
    I have been working since last night totaling scores and such. I will update the scores on the first post throughout the day. :)

18. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    From Challenge 3 I have checked submissions from the following participants:

Ish
    Drabbo
    duskwings
    Healer
    Indra
    jodiwent
    kateydidnt
    KD
    maychorian

I will post those scores in a few minutes (on the first post) but I just wanted to double check that no one else submitted one and I did not see it. [face_blush]

19. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Congrats to the Top Stories for Challenge 8!

1st Place-- DarthIshtar (Story A) and jodiwent (Story M)
    2nd Place-- Healer_Leona (Story D) and Indra (Story H)
    3rd Place-- Drabbo_Fett (Story E)

It was a very close race: eight entries were within four points of each other. :)

Scores added to the first post.

20. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    Congratulations to the winners. Now that you all know which story is mine now, I can apologize for the "crookie's jaw" joke. I don't know where it came from, it just popped into my head as I was starting to write, and I was already in a punny mood, so I had to put it in. [face_mischief]

21. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    ***The Writers Race Has Now Come to an End****
    The final results are in.

Before I state the results of the Final Challenge and the overall score I would like to tell you some things.
  22. First of all, I have very much enjoyed this and I am glad that each and every one of you participated. Every person brought a special and interesting portion to the Race. In appreciation for your participation, I wrote a story for you. :) Check the next post to see it.

23. I will be leaving for vacation tomorrow--no I haven't packed yet as I have been working on this all day--so if you need to contact me be aware that I am not ignoring you. I should be back in a little over a week.

24. Although I did make this a competition, I truly believe that if you had fun and tried something new then you have won in this race. Remember that judging really just depends on who is doing the judging, which is why I tried to vary the judges. Actually, it was somewhat amusing to me that on the challenges where you all sent in your votes I would get a PM that said Story X was far and away the best but then the next three PMs wouldn't even mention that story. :) Everyone has different tastes and I just hope you enjoyed the experience. I still smile when I think of some of your stories and responses to the challenges.

25. There was a bunch of other things I wanted to say but my brain is fried so I'll just leave this space for when I remember. [face_blush]

26. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Survey
    Please fill out the following survey and PM it to me to help me improve the next race. :)

Would you Particpate in the Next Race?
    Best Aspect of the Race:
    Worst Aspect of the Race:
    Suggestions for Improvement:
    An Idea for a Challenge:
    Additional Comments:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Challenge 10 Results

1st Place-- kateydidnt
    2nd Place-- pokey1984 & duskwings
    3rd Place-- Knight_Dilettante & Drabbo_Fett

Congrats to You Five!! Great Job!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Overall Writers Race Results

Third Place goes to...

[face_hypnotized]

Indra!!!

Congrats, Indra! [:D]

Second Place goes to...

[face_hypnotized]

DarthIshtar and Drabbo_Fett!!!!

Congrats you two! =D= =D=

And First Place goes to...

[face_praying]

duskwings!!!!!

Congrats duskwings! [face_dancing] @};- [face_dancing]

And Congrats to All the Participants for Making This a Great Race!!!

Flowers to all... @};- @};- @};- @};- @};-

27. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

A Sign of My Appreciation for All of Your Entries

The Characters Strike Back

?So that?s why my loyal handmaiden killed me??

Yoda nodded somberly as an angry murmur rose from the crowd. Never before had such a gathering of beings taken place: Jedi stood next to Sith, stormtroopers next to Ewoks, bounty hunters next to senators and Jawas next to droids. Yoda would have said such a gathering would be impossible?or at least impossible without much bloodshed among the participants. And he would have been wrong for although anger pervaded the room, none of the inhabitants was the target of the hate.

?What else are they responsible for??

Yoda could not see the being who asked the question since an Ewok was in front of him but the voice was familiar. With a loud sigh the Jedi Master shook his head; it was better for young Skywalker to never find out the truth.

?Rrooufrr?? Chewbacca added.

?Not important, it is,? Yoda tried to calm down the gathering. ?Safe we are now.?

?Tell us!? Anakin commanded, pushing the Ewok out of his path so he could look down on Yoda.

Once again the Jedi Master shook his head, ?Anger leads to??

?Don?t spout that Jedi nonsense,? Palpatine interrupted. ?Tell us.?

The room?s door slid open and Mace appeared with a data card in his hand, ?I have a transcript of it.?

Yoda?s protests were drowned out by the crowd?s roar of approval. ?Wrong this is. See this, they should not.?

Mace inserted the data card into the display and the crowd grew silent.

A few moments later a loud voice cried out from the crowd, ?That?s why I was killed? Because this Shaindl person was playing with the alphabet? Where do I find this vile creature??

Yoda shook his head as one of the Sith gave Jedi Knight Maitan Grygora directions. Bad this is-- the sound of loud kissing disrupted Yoda?s thoughts. He reached out to separate the amorous Jedi who were breaking more rules than Yoda could count but a force-bubble stopped him. ?Uh, uh,? Kyp Durron told the master between kisses. ?I never thought I?d get Jaina. This race should take place all the time if people like duskwings are going to be writing it.?

A loud protest arose from the crowd and a few of the inhabitants started to approach Kyp to make him regret his statement but a wail tore everyone?s attention to a battered man staring at the projection. ?I lost my love, my future because some writer wanted to make people cry?? Mylis Wemir balled his hands into fists. ?Who does Myri_Antilles think she is? I?ll?? another Sith handed the distraught man a flimsy with an address written on it. Without another word, Mylis left the room, taking a bounty hunter?s blaster with him.

Before Yoda could reach the projector to turn it off and prevent more pain Luke Skywalker slumped over dead, a blaster burn spread along his back. ?You were the one to cause Han to leave me??

?No,? Luke struggled to say as the Force tried to claim oneness with him. ?It was Knight_Dilettante. I couldn?t? couldn?t? stop it. You have to??

Dispassionately Leia stared at her dead brother and accepted the flimsy Darth Maul handed her.

?Wait, you must. Revenge, you cannot take,? Yoda implored the princess, tugging on her robe.

Leia turned around and stole the Jedi Master?s walking stick. ?I don?t want to hear it.? With dignity she exited the room, the stick waving menacingly in her hand.

At first Yoda thought the crowd?s cry was due to the injustice of his stick?s theft. Then he realized the cry had come from the assembled Ewoks. With an incomprehensible war cry the furry critters surged to attack the projector?s translating droid.

?No, you stupid balls of fur. It wasn?t me! Drabbo_Fett did it! He killed Wicket; I am just the messen?? It took five Sith lords and two Jedi to get the mass of Ewoks off the completely disassembled droid. Of course, the cute creatures then attempted to attack t

28. Drabbo_Fett

Drabbo_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 5, 2003
    LOL. It's a good thing the Ewoks stormed out before they saw what I did to them in my C10 entry. [face_devil]

Congratulations, duskwings!

29. kateydidnt

Nov 11, 2004
    Congrats Duskwings, Drabbo_Fett, Darth Ishtar and Indra! Y'all are awesome!

*squeek* :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I got first place on callenge 10? How did that happen? I guess it just goes to show that when your muse gets an idea at 3AM go with it.

Oh, Kettch are you going to post the challenge 10 responses or should we post them if we want them read?

Personally I don?t think this kateydidnt person is very sane.

Hehehehehe, right you are, not very sane at all. :D

30. Myri_Antilles

Myri_Antilles Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2004
    [face_laugh]

<suddenly realizes that she's about to get company> Uh-oh... :eek:

<locks doors tightly>

:p

Congrats to the winners!!!! =D=

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.