main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writers Race--- It Is Done!!!! * 1st--duskwings, * 2-DarthIshtar & Drabbo_Fett, 3-Indra

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Kettch_the_Jedi, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kateydidnt

kateydidnt Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 11, 2004
    Erg, I always forget, what time is board time? Hm, I'll just post this and see what time it tells me I posted.

Edit Ah, board time is an hour earlier than me. So 4pm my time...

2. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    Votes for Challenge 2 are in. :)

KTJ, I'll be missing the third challenge b/c it's absurdly late (well, 11pm) my time, so I'm more than willing to judge :)

3. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    I might miss this one. Got Girl Scouts tonight for most of it. I'm troop pres though, so I have the power to move the meeting along quickly. I'll see! :p

4. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    When are votes due again?

5. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    DarthIshtar - On the previous page, in the post with all the stories, Kettch wrote, "You have until Monday, noon to vote." Assuming that we're going by board time, I believe that voting is already over.

-duskwings

6. Kettch_the_Jedi

Kettch_the_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 22, 2002
    Urrrgggh! Did anyone else have a hard time getting the boards to load? I had problems this morning and just now it took me forty minutes to get on. :(

7. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    Yeah, they've been going on and off for me. There's a note about it here.

Seems to be okay now, though.

8. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    We're experience lots of problems today

We had a few DNS issues this morning and some of our well know sub-domains: Boards, Cgi, Download, are experiencing problems. We have verified our DNS files and re-published them. The changes are now propagating and all issues should be resolved shortly.

DOn't know if it will affect things with the two hour challenge.

9. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Okay, since it does seem there is life on these boards we will continue on but due to the problems I have added an hour to the duration of the challenge.

Welcome to the Fourth Challenge of the Writers Race!

Challenge 4: Verboseness

Points Awarded: 1st- 6 points, 2nd- 5 points, 3rd- 4 points

Judge Points: NA

Start Time: Monday, March 7th at 3:15 pm

Duration: 3 hours

End Time: Monday, March 7th at 6:15 pm

Judged Based on: Wordiness

The Challenge: Write the longest story you can that takes place during the Rebel?s stay on Hoth or the Imp?s search for the Rebels on Hoth without repeating ANY word. No word in your story may be repeated; that includes such words as ?the,? ?a,? ?an,? ?Jedi,? etc. No word. The first place winner will be the one with the most words in his/her story, the second place with the second-most words in his/her story, the third with the third-most words in the story. Note that the story must make sense and no made-up words; only dictionary and Star Wars words are allowed. Also note that no more than two adjectives may be used to describe a single object. So, no "The beautiful, gorgeous, wonderful, cute, adorable, lovely, endearing, blessed, fabulous Ewoks sang like ugly, horrid, screachy, dying, sinful, scary miscreants."

Special Instructions: : Post your story here?do Not PM it. You may post up to two different stories (with the realization you may only win one prize) but once you post a story you may not add to it. So, if you post a story but then others post longer stories and you want to try again, you must pursue a different story line; you cannot just add to the first story and then post it as the second entry. Also, it is up to you to check others? stories and help catch word repeats. If you see a repeated word in a story either mention it in this thread or PM me. Remember also that the rules state that you are not allowed to edit any entry so if your post has an edit in it then you are automatically disqualified (that includes non-story posts in the duration of a challenge?to insure that you do not post a story and then remove it).

:)

Edit: In green is another addition to the rules.

10. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Please note the edit in the preceeding post.

11. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    No made up words??? What about a Wookie growling and such?

12. duskwings

duskwings Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 10, 2003
    Can we use both "you" and "you're" in the story? "I'm," "I've," and "I'll"? Or are we restricted to using only one "you" and one "I"?

-duskwings

13. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    Nope. :) You can say, "Chewie growled his displeasure," but no "RRRslkgjoenl, the Wookie declared." :)

Makes it harder, I know. Actually the idea for this challenge came from one I did on these boards a year or more ago. I forget how many words I wrote but I think the challenge was to aim for 50. :)

It is hard, which is why I upped the original point values.

14. Lady_Jedi_Carenix

Lady_Jedi_Carenix Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 6, 2001
    Erg! I haven't even gotten to look at the depreesing entries because the boards said "you suck" and now I need to write for the challenge!

*runs screaming*

15. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002
    You can use variations of words, such as
    "She eats like a mynock."
    "Would you just eat your food and leave her alone?"

You just cannot repeat any single word twice.
    The cold air pricked his skin. If only he had more than the captain's mount's smelly hide to wear."
    This would be disqualified.

16. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    Jeez, I'm having difficulties already and I'm only on the second sentence! :rolleyes: I'm pitiful!

17. Jaina_and_Jag

Jaina_and_Jag Jedi Master star 5

Apr 19, 2003
    So we're allowed to have something like "Han..." and then later have "Han's"?

18. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    What do you mean, Indra is in the lead?

Shaindl

EDIT: And does it not end at 6:15pm?

19. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Yep. :) I'm being more lenient than the challenge I participated in, the one in which no form of the word could be repeated. "Eat" and "Ate" were not allowed together. :)

20. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    'sup with 'indra in the lead?'

21. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Urghhh! It's been one of those days!! Sorry. I am keeping score on an Excel spreadsheet and I was in a rush so I looked at the name on the top (not realizing I hadn't sorted it by score yet). Okay, information changed, Race organizer given 12 lashes.

/

22. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Wait, how do you know who's in the lead?

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    And what are the word counts of the "leaders?"

24. Wilhelmina

Wilhelmina Jedi Master star 3

Jul 4, 2002
    In the lead overall, Ish. After the first challenge. I think.

25. Kettch_the_Jedi

Nov 22, 2002

Yep, Shaindl won the first challenge so she is in the lead. I'll tally the second challenge tonight to give those who are having problems getting on the boards a little more time to send me their votes.

As for this 4th challenge the best word total is zero since no one has posted. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.