main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing a depressing scene and getting sad in the process?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Earthknight, Apr 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I am a robot man.

"Astronomy for Dogs" allusions aside, I'm really not a particularly emotional guy. Makes for good deadpan joke delivery. Yesterday I was told I should take up poker, so maybe that's another benefit. :p Also means I don't really experience the phenomenon of making myself sad with my own scenes as I'm writing them.

I think maybe there's a disconnect between my writing mindset and shifting into reading gear. Because I've certainly read things that put me on the edge of my seat, energized me, frightened me, saddened me, made me lol (sometimes literally!), etcetera. I have to wonder if it's the element of the unexpected, or the fact that I have no control. When I'm writing, I'm driving and I know where the road goes. Reading is more like being on a roller-coaster at night. I have no choice or foreknowledge of where it'll go. There could be a loop or a helix or who-knows-what over that hill.

2. misssolo

misssolo Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 28, 2006
    I'm incredibly emotionally invested in my stories and characters, so I understand where you're coming from. It's difficult! If you spend too long on one sad bit of a story, it can really affect you. You get to know the characters so well that killing one off or breaking up a relationship or giving them some fatal disease or something like that can feel like you're doing it to your best friends.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.