main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Conditions

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by EmilieDarklighter, Jun 5, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EmilieDarklighter

EmilieDarklighter Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    Since the admins are such sticks in the mud, I have to ask you this question manually. Does anyone have any suggestions on how/where to write? I've had trouble finding a spot in the house to write by myself, and I was wondering what everyone else does.

2. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    There is already a thread related to this here. :)

3. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    Well, the way I usually work is to be somewhere alone, like in bed right before I go to sleep, or in the shower, and I just think about some place and time in Star Wars, and a character develops in my mind. Then, I just keep thinking about that character, making up more details, filling them out, making them believable. Circumstances for the character also come along with their description. Then, I just immerse my mind in the character, putting myself into some of the situations I made up. After a while, when I've gotten really far, I'll sit down at the computer and put it into words.

4. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks for the tips!

5. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    I keep a mini-tape recorder near my bed because I usually think of something really cool round about 1:30 in the morning. Other than that, I sit myself in front of my computer, start up some music (without lyrics if possible), and make myself write. It gets easier once you're in the habit.

6. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    :) Thanks for the ideas! Anyone else?

7. Golden_One

Golden_One Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 26, 2002
    Always carry a little notebook or something with you. That way, if you see any wierd names or something that you'd love to use in your story, you can copy them down so you don't forget. This is also good for writing down little odd facts about your character and other things.

I treat stories kind of like puzzles; put together the outside and corner pieces first, and it'll be much easier to fill in the rest. Once you have the basic story plan in mind, lots of the other details should just come to you. I hope this helps a little :D

8. Sticks

Sticks Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 27, 2001
    I have to agree with every previous suggestion on this thread, first of all. The best way to write is somewhere quiet (or, if you prefer, with some instrumental music playing) and peaceful. I usually do my writing late at night, when I'm about to go to bed. I'm a night person, so my ideas flow more freely when it's dark.

I recall one amazing writing experience that happened last year, when I was working on the first fanfic I ever posted on these boards. It was about 10 p.m. on a Sunday night, and there was a rather nasty thunderstorm going on outside, which eventually took out the power in our neighborhood. I was right in the middle of a very emotional scene and, needless to say, I couldn't very well stop right then, so I grabbed my little reading light and hooked my headphones up to a battery-powered radio, tuned to NPR. Hearts of Space was on, and that night's programming was from a Yo-Yo Ma CD called Appalachian Journey.

So there I was, with my light illuminating just the page and my pen, listening to this wonderful ethereal cello music, with thunder and lightning just outside my window. It felt like I was floating in space, and all those ingredients came together to form one freaking awesome emotional scene. I've tried to duplicate this many times, but it only seems to work if there's a thunderstorm and some Yo-Yo Ma music. I wish it happened every night...

9. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    My brother says he gets into this weird zone where it just flows. He can write when he's "normal" but just give him quiet, don't distract him, and he can really let loose. I'm still waiting to see something he's written, but he says it works.

10. EmilieDarklighter

Jan 19, 2002
    Thanks so much guys! I'll give them all a try...especially since we've had this wicked swell of thunderstorms lately. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.