main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Writing contests

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Books and Comics' started by the_wandering_shadow, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005

I'm curious to see if anyone is interested in doing another writing challenge. After the dismal final attempt last year things defintely died. I've been hoping someone will start things up again, but I can understand why they haven't... anyway. Opinions on this?

2. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    I'd be interested if participants or judges are needed. :)

3. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    The problem last time was the lack of interest -- we had very few participants. If you can drum up enough interest, Raven and I will seriously consider trying a contest again.

4. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    I'd be interested! I missed the last ones and have been waiting for enough interest for the writing contests to make a come back. :)

5. the_wandering_shadow

the_wandering_shadow Jedi Knight star 3

May 16, 2005
    So the question is how to do the drumming. It always seemed like there was interest until we got right down to it.

6. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Exactly. Mostly, just tell your friends. If we decide to go for it, I can take care of forum cross-promoting.

7. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Pretend I have no idea about the history of this contest and/or the rules. How would it work? Judges decide? User votes? Any constraints on the story subject beyond "don't violate the TOS"? etc.

In principle, I'd be interested in participating and/or judging, but the devil's in the details.

8. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I'm with Souderwan on this.

9. JediNemesis

JediNemesis Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 27, 2003
    . . . I'm in.

After all, I've only got two fanfic novels, one original novel, a screenplay and my degree to do at present :p Nah. Sign me up, barring accidents.

TWS! Looong time no see.

10. Ultima_1

Ultima_1 Jedi Knight star 5

May 16, 2001
    I'd like more details, but I probably would be interested.

11. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    There've been, like, 4 and a half SFFBC Writing Contests, each a little different. Here are the links.

Version 1
    Version 2
    Version 3
    Version 4
    Version 5

I participated in the fourth version, and in the fifth one which sort of blew up in the hangar.

12. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    LOL! So 5 different versions and I like some and don't like others. Oh well. Thanks, Face.

I'll say I'm interested, but I'm not committing 'till I know what approach this contest will take.

13. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'm definitely interested in participating. :)

14. The_Face

Feb 22, 2003
    Which type does everyone prefer? I like the simplicity of Versions 1, 2, and 4 myself. 5 was a cool idea in theory, but needed several people all turning stuff in on a regular basis to work.

15. moosemousse

moosemousse CR Emeritus: FF-UK South star 6

Oct 3, 2004
    I'll answer that in the morning, it's too late and I'm too tired to read about 1-4 now. I will say this though, I did enjoy number 5, I really liked the idea and thought it had a lot of potential. As The_Face said, it did require a few people to actually submit stuff regularly, as in four or five at least to submit a piece each time, otherwise it'll just end up being one person doing it all. It also required people to actually vote, or people to judge, every time. It's a shame it didn't work out.

16. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    Judges have never been the problem (there was always at least one - me). For the first one, we're probably going to do something similar to the first one. Some sort of prompt or first line, 2-10 thousand words, 2-4 weeks to write, a few judges to score and determine the winner (but we need writers more than judges right now).

17. The Musical Jedi

The Musical Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 13, 1999
    I do have a general question: this board is PG-13, correct? (Or, conversely, FanFic is the only PG board at TF.N?)

18. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    I'm interested in doing this again, but may do fantasy.

19. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    We generally go by fanfic rules, but PG-13 can slide. Just don't overdo any violence or romance (and we'll be linking to the fanfic limits on those).

20. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Are we talking about a prompt that the story must start with, or just a prompt that determines the boundaries of the fic? In other words, are you talking about a prompt of text that the story must contain, or something less restrictive?

21. NYCitygurl

Jul 20, 2002
    To be determined (I haven't set rules down because I don't know if I'll be wasting my time yet or not) but it'll probably just be the first line of the story, something non-gener-specific and can be used in sci-fi or fantasy.

22. Idrelle_Miocovani

Idrelle_Miocovani Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 5, 2005
    Question -- betas are allowed, correct? Just as long as they're not another participant or a judge or something. Right? :)

23. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    Thanks, Nat! I'll keep an eye out if/when you decide to do this.

24. thesporkbewithyou

thesporkbewithyou Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2005
    Saw the ad for this over in resource.

I'd definitely be interested in participating. Now, whether or not my muse will co-operate is a different story.

*laughs at the fact that most of the responses have come from fanfic people*

25. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I, too, followed the link in FFR, and I'm definitely interested. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.