main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Humor - Natural Talent or Hard Work?

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by JadeDjo, Mar 30, 2004.

?

Writing Humor - Natural Talent or Hard Work?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2012.
  1. Natural Talent

22.4%
  2. Hard Work

4.9%
  3. Both

72.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Courtney_Solo

Courtney_Solo Jedi Master star 4

May 23, 2005
    I've laughed so hard today, ( @ church :D ) so I decided to drop back by.

If people don't get your joke, don't try to explain it, you'll only make yourself look like an idiot.

Yes, this comes from expeirience. ;)

~CS

2. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    I agree humor can be tough. I just wrote my first humor viggie and it was a lot harder than the other stuff I've worked on. I never would have attempted humor except I was lucky enough to be adopted by a wonderful Master who walked me through a process that worked for me.

But, I tell you, I went over and over and over the story to the point where I didn't even know if it was funny or not. I even had my sister read it over first and when she chuckled a couple times, I knew it was okay and maybe I'd get a positive response or two. The only way it worked was to write something I thought was funny, it certainly wasn't a slapstick comedy and I had the same anxiety that nobody else would think it was funny but I don't think it's possible for most people to write for the audience - you need to write for yourself.
    Interestingly enough, that viggie got the most responses I've ever received!

I don't consider myself a "humor" writer. I do much better with drama and agnst but I'm glad I did it. To have met the challenge was reward enough, to have gotten positive feedback was an added bonus. I would definitely encourage every writer to write what they enjoy - that's where the real reward is IMHO.

3. HanSoloIsSoCute

HanSoloIsSoCute Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 7, 2005
    The thing I hate about humor is you can be thinking your story is good and then it's like [face_beatup] someone tells you it sucks lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.