main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Lightsaber duels

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dianethx, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    I know that there have been a number of threads on lightsaber fight writing but they are all locked. I also found a wonderful thread The Seven Forms of Lightsaber Styles that was very informative.

However, I really need help with writing lightsaber fights, specifically with writing double-bladed lightsabers similar to Darth Maul's. I realize that the normal one-on-one with lightsabers have specific actions/reactions to them (and I can figure it out watching the movies) but what happens with the lightsaber/double-blade fights? And what differences would there be if two beings were fighting with double-bladed lightsabers? Would it be more like the quarterstaff fighting?

Suggestions...please! I really need help!

2. Briman

Briman Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 8, 2004
    With double-bladed lightsabers, it is good to show alot of action. Like the left-blade in low-to-high, while the right-blade was quick to swipe high. Showing the actions of both blades is what will make it a good fight.

3. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Are there specific forms like in lightsaber duels? The only quarterstaffing I know about comes from watching The Adventures of Robin Hood with Errol Flynn.

4. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Diane,

Since I have an inkling of why you're asking (at least, I hope I'm right ;)), I went online and punched in "quarterstaff fighting". The first link was this:

http://www.quarterstaff.org/frame.html

Go to "Gallery" on the menu on the left - they have movies showing traditional moves. I didn't look into any of the other links that came up, but I'll assume those have some good stuff too.

Hope that helps!

Shaindl

5. Herman Snerd

Herman Snerd Jedi Master star 6

Oct 31, 1999
    Just off the top of my head, the biggest difference in the double lightsaber is that it has to work around the user's body rather than in front of it like a regular saber.

6. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    If you're motivated and don't mind making yourself look a bit like a fool, taking those plastic toy lightsabers or even just sticks can help. Just about any time I write a duel, I have my toy lightsabers out, banging them against things in my room to see if the move in my head makes sense (or seeing if it's physically possible). Of course, it would work even better if there was a real opponnent and even at a slow pace it helps.

Of course, if you don't want to do this, any movie with a decent amount of swordplay would help, although lightsabers have that cut through anything but other lightsabers thing going for them that you have to be careful of.

And the big thing to keep in mind with a double bladed is where both of the blades are at. Make sure the wielder isn't doing something with one blade that will result in them injuring themself with the other.

7. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Shaindl You are right on what you are guessing. The quarterstaff sight has some really nice pictures. I'll have to wait til morning for the movies - they are taking forever to download even with cable modem.
    Thanks though. That may help.

Herman Do you mean that the person's body is shielded from harm because the double-blade (DB) moves around it since the middle of the DB is the 'mechanical' handle of the saber?

Would 2 DB saber wielders try and strike in the middle (like Obi-Wan did in TPM) to try and cut the DB in half? Would that render the person less likely to defend or more? Would someone with 2 separate sabers be more defendable and able to strike better than a one DB saber?

Edit BMK I did write a scene where I used the toys to help with the dueling. I don't mind doing that. Looking the fool isn't a problem for me. It;s just that I'm more worried about DB versus DB than DB versus single-blade.

8. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    I mean that when striking and defending, most of the time the person is in the middle of his weapon rather than behind it.

9. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Herman, that's what I figured you meant.

10. Lilith Demodae

Lilith Demodae Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 1999
    Yes, keep in mind that unlike real quarterstaff fighting, the high and low center blocks are no-nos because the center of the DB is vulnerable to the opponent's blades, unless he's striking with the center itself (kind of hard to imagine why he's want to...). So it would all be one end or the other striking and blocking, along with the usual dodging and jumping and ducking...

I second the try it yourself motion. If you've got someone you can choreograph it with that's even better. Two fairly straight sticks (or brooms/mops etc) and a garage should do you just fine. :)

11. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Thanks, Lilith.

So, since the DB center is the most vulnerable point, you'd go for that to destroy the DB if you could.

So does two lightsabers (as with Anakin in AOTC)have an advantage over a DB? They wouldn't have a vulnerable center and he wouldn't have to worry about one end being down while the other is up. Or is that too much saber waving for most Jedi?

12. Jedi_BMK

Jedi_BMK Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 10, 2004
    Well, it does make sense that controlling to things that can move independently of each other would be more difficult than maintaining control over one. I've tried fiddling with two lightsabers and have never been able to coordinate the movements, but have little trouble with using a DB since there's a natural coordination in that the blades are mechanically linked.

13. Herman Snerd

Oct 31, 1999
    Yes, keep in mind that unlike real quarterstaff fighting, the high and low center blocks are no-nos because the center of the DB is vulnerable to the opponent's blades

Just ask Darth Maul. ;)

14. Sekot_Seedship

Sekot_Seedship Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 27, 2005
    Does any one here know how to write a lightsaber dual when one character uses two lightsabers (one in each hand) and another uses just one?

15. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Good question. I'd like to know the answer to that one myself.

16. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I've written one of those, tho it's not posted yet. It's rather hard to do. I had to read the AOTC novel ceaselessly to get the style right from the brief scene of Anakin vs Dooku.

17. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    So Spike, how did you do it? With lightsabers in your hands or did you just picture it?

18. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004
    I'm not positive with lightsabers, but I've played around with it in my fencing class. I study rapier (I'm not a reenactor, I actually read the manuals and stuff.) and the best stratigie seems to be for the person with only one is to keep a lot of distance, and to move quickly. Focus on defence, and let the person with two blades wear themselves out. Somehow I'm thinking this might not work as well for Jedi, but it's a thought. Knick them on the hand whenever possible, instead of trying to hit their body and getting yourself killed. For the person with two, just be careful not to get the blades tangled, is all I can think of. This is the person who usually ends up winning when I try this, so I'm not too sure how you'd go about writting it. Not sure if I was much help there, sorry! :)

19. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    This might be a little random, but it's funny and kind of relates to what Lusa was saying. My roommate last semester told me once about a fencing match she went to, and she said that though the fencers seemed to be moving through a series of set moves (rather than just going at it and applying whatever they learned), the true objective seemed to be whacking the opponent on the head.

I don't know, maybe that works in a lightsaber fight. :p

20. Saibh

Saibh Jedi Youngling

Jul 26, 2003
    Thank you for all the useful tips and sites for writing lightsabers duels. I have always shied away from writing those scense because I just could not get them right. Now I know what to do with those little figures and their lightersabers the next time I go to write another lightsaber duel.

21. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    Meant to post this when I first saw this thread, but I wrote a couple breif scrapes in my story "veiled fate." Not saying they're spectacular at all but if they are easy to follow at all they might help.

22. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    Nice thread! Does anyone have a list or link with the correct terminology for the actual moves?

Block, parry, things like that.

23. JaersteinCysse

JaersteinCysse Jedi Master star 1

Apr 21, 2004
    The Attack of the Clones Visual Dictionary has four pages dedicated to lightsaber forms, training and combat ... you could always check that out.

Here are some moves from the book:
    Jung: 180 degree turn
    Jung Ma: 360 degree turn to gain power for attacks
    Sai: Force-assisted jump to avoid leg attack
    Shun: One handed grip, spinning lightsaber 360 degrees to gain power.

The training breaks the body into 6 zones:
    1: Head, 2: Right arm and side, 3: Left arm and side, 4: Back, 5: Right Leg, 6: Left leg.

Ideal form consists of horizontal and vertically aligned blades attacks and parries, for example: Attack 1 Parry 1 is a straight over head attack with a horizontally held blade to block or parry. Live Combat form is diagonal blades with Fast Attack or Fast Parry.

Jedi train with "velocities," or a series of planned Attack/Parry moves until one jedi falls and yells "solah." Kai-Kan are reenactments of great lightsaber duels that have been studied, very dangerous.

24. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    Here's some general advice for any kind of battle, be it lightsaber or starfighter:

go back and do it, don't let writing it get in the way of your story. Write it basic to begin with, putting in what you want to happen whether it be severed limbs or the death of a character. then, once you have the plot laid out go back and re-do it with particular care.

Sometimes choreography works, i know several people who do that. But it really depends if someone is willing to help you. Someimtes drawing what you want to show is good, then describe it.

but one thing to remember is to USE YOUR SETTING WELL. Think about where the fight is taking place, just fighting each other can be a bit boring. You can have them running up the wall, throwing stuff at each other, attacking from above or below. Be inventive!

As for two lightsabers versus one, remeber the person with two will have a double attack and the person with one will be on the defensive mostof the time. For ideas watch Asajj Ventress in Clone Wars, particularly her fight with Anakin.

25. dianethx

Mar 1, 2002
    Katana,

Any other suggestions of what to watch for 2 bladed versus single? I really hated the Clone wars cartoon... I've watched AOTC a number of times but it's so dark when they do that and it's hard to see. Does slow motion help?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.