main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Lightsaber duels

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by dianethx, Jan 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    I really hated the Clone wars cartoon...

Blasphemy!!! :p

Are there other places to find the kind of info that's in the AOTC Visual Dictionary? I remember one issue of Insider had the different forms - the only thing I can remember from that is that Qui-Gon used the acrobatic form. :p

2. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    at starwarsdotcom.com there's a newsletter called the useless facts of SW. If you look hard enough you should find the description for all seven.

Any other suggestions of what to watch for 2 bladed versus single? I really hated the Clone wars cartoon... I've watched AOTC a number of times but it's so dark when they do that and it's hard to see. Does slow motion help?

There really isn't anything else. You can try turning up the brightness on your TV but even then there's only a limited amount.

The only other thing I can think of is this fan film I once watched where a guy has two lightsabers.

Just remember, a person with two lightsabers will be more skilled than someone with just one as two are a lot harder to control.
    You can attack and defend at the same time. You can move them in tandem, making the opponant have two blades to knock away at once (like and above and below attack) or seperately making the opponant really work on his feet and give up space.

A rule of thumb for ANY lightsaber fight: the person who is winning the fight is the one who is gaining ground, anyone who is losing ground is usually on the defensive.
    There are ways, of course, to turn an offensive into a counterttack.
    (Don't watch Luke for defenses and counter attacks, he's hopeless)

3. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    I don't think I even qualify as an amateur, but I would think you would want to watch the other hand, like with magicians. I would think the primary advantage of dueling with two sabres would be the unpredictability. While the opponent is watching blade one, blade two can slip around and find that weak spot.

So, in watching the video, avoid looking where blades are meeting each other, look at what Anakin is doing with the second blade.

Also, and this is kind of a quesion, wouldn't duelling with two blades require a person to be almos ambidexterous? (sp?) I mean, You would have to be able to not only move both hands independantly of each other, you would have to be able to think about the motions each is making. That goes way beyond being able to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

4. Moff_Yittreas

Moff_Yittreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    Taking fencing lessons can also help when writing lightsaber duels. ;)

Nice thread! Does anyone have a list or link with the correct terminology for the actual moves?

Block, parry, things like that.

Block: Stopping a cut using the blade.

Parry: Generic term simply meaning to deflect an attack.

Thrust: A stabbing attack.

Cut/Slash: Attacking using the blade edge as opposed to the point with a thrust.

Bind Over: A bit of a fancy move. I'm not too sure how to describe it, but it's what Vader does to Luke twice in ESB. The first time it took the lightsaber from his hand (Carbon Freezing Chamber), the second was just before Vader cut off Luke's hand.

These are the basic moves which make up the more advanced stuff.

5. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Fencing is great! [face_love]

Writing saber duels are fun...though it can be tedious and tiresome (sp) but the turnout and responses from the readers make it worth while ;)

6. SabyneAmberle

SabyneAmberle Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 16, 2004
    I have to say, this is fascinating to read!

A question, though. Can anyone give advice for a fight between a Jedi wielding two lightsabers and a non-Jedi starting with blaster pistols, then switching to vibroblades?

7. Moff_Yittreas

Moff_Yittreas Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 21, 2004
    Just that the non-Jedi better run like hell. :p

8. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    *laughs*

Yes, I suppose there is that option. Sadly, that won't be an option when it comes to the duel I'm going to be writing about.

9. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    A question, though. Can anyone give advice for a fight between a Jedi wielding two lightsabers and a non-Jedi starting with blaster pistols, then switching to vibroblades?

It will probably have to end very quickly to be realistic. Or, if its a Jango-kinda person will lots of little bits of hardware like rocket packs etc, then have the non-Jedi dart around the place dodging lightsaber blows by the skin of his teeth and looking for the ideal opening.

Jedi with two lightsabers tend to try and pull off quick strikes given that their lightsaber skills are less effective than with a single lightsaber.

10. SabyneAmberle

Sep 16, 2004
    I'll definitely keep that in mind. Thank you for the input.

11. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    My pleasure :)

12. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Also, and this is kind of a quesion, wouldn't duelling with two blades require a person to be almos ambidexterous? (sp?) I mean, You would have to be able to not only move both hands independantly of each other, you would have to be able to think about the motions each is making. That goes way beyond being able to pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time.

You bet they have to be, that's why most Force-users that can use two lightsabers at the same time are Sith or Dark Jedi (or they're general grevious). If using two lightsabers is about anything, it's about POWER. The person with two lightsabers is pretty much got the upper hand from the very beginning.

Just as side issue, check out the lightsaber my OC is holding in the pic at the bottom of my bio. Any ideas on how it would be used? I'm thinking mostly defense.

13. Viola_Telcontar

Viola_Telcontar Jedi Master star 1

Nov 14, 2004

Oh, yes! My piano teacher gave me some lessons of that, though I never mastered to knock 3 times with my right hand and 4 times with left hand at the same beat. But I liked the lesson when I learned to move one hand in a circle clockwise and the other anticlockwise...
    In fact, these exercises help a lot. I'm righthanded, but I'm quite capable to write with my left as well. And after a few years of playing a string instrument, I started to use my left hand more often (especially when I play basketball). You'll learn things faster if you practice with both hands.
    Basically, I want to say that indeed you can learn to use both hands (though one will always be weaker). The earlier you start the better you'll get.

14. pokey1984

pokey1984 Jedi Youngling star 2

May 10, 2004
    Just as side issue, check out the lightsaber my OC is holding in the pic at the bottom of my bio. Any ideas on how it would be used? I'm thinking mostly defense.

Maybe it's a bad pic or I'm looking at it cross-eyed, but it looked normal to me. What were we supposed to see?

I wonder, with a double bladed sabre, wouldn't the restricted motion be almost debilitating? You would always be beside the actaul blades and the weakest point, the handle, would always be out in front, just waiting for someone to take a swing at it.

In TPM, I remember Maul had to do a lot of twisting and expended a lot of energy just to keep the heros at bay. If the fight hadn't been choreographed, all it would have taken would have been for Obi-Wan and Qui gon to strike at the same time from angles that were not opposite each other. I mean, Maul blocked both blades at once, but only because Obi-wan struck where the back of Mauls sabre could block it while he was blocking Qui gon's and vice versa. With his limited motion, it should have been easy for one of them to get a blow in.

I don't know, maybe one of you with fencing experience can explain it to me. Please?

15. Lusa_Thul

Lusa_Thul Jedi Master star 4

Sep 9, 2004

At first, its a real pain, believe me! I usually use a dagger in my left hand, which is not quite as hard as using another rapier, because you don't have to worry about the length; if the are too long, the get tangled really easily. Once you get used to using an offhand weapon however, its really not all that difficult. The main reason for this is because you really should try not to attack with the dagger, because its too short. This would still apply if you were using lightsabers, because, unless you are left handed, your right foot is in front, meaning your left shoulder is farther back. The left lightsaber would not reach as far as the right, so it works well to use the right for attack and the left for defence. Defensive offhand moves are usually very small, because big motions are easy to get around, so they are not too hard to do! :)

In TPM, I remember Maul had to do a lot of twisting and expended a lot of energy just to keep the heros at bay. If the fight hadn't been choreographed, all it would have taken would have been for Obi-Wan and Qui gon to strike at the same time from angles that were not opposite each other. I mean, Maul blocked both blades at once, but only because Obi-wan struck where the back of Mauls sabre could block it while he was blocking Qui gon's and vice versa. With his limited motion, it should have been easy for one of them to get a blow in.

This has always bugged me, too especially because Qui-Gon is supposed to be such a good fencer! I suppose their Force-enhanced powers of logic must just have failed them! :p Another thing that has always bugged me is when one of them spins around for no apparnet reason. Sure it looks cool, but turning your back to you opponent like that is a really bad plan! All they have to do is reach out and stab you while your back is turned. Even I with my negligable reflexes can do this, so super fast Jedi should be able to with no problem. Oh well. Maybe I'm just being picky! :p

16. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Maybe it's a bad pic or I'm looking at it cross-eyed, but it looked normal to me. What were we supposed to see?

If you look closely there are two blades side-by-side. Unique in SW until I thought it up. Really, the only place i've heard of such a thing was a sword in Dungeons and Dragons.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.