main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing novel trilogy. Need plot!!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by DarthBane77, May 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarthBane77

DarthBane77 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 26, 2003
    I really need a plot for my current trilogy. It takes place many years in the future and contains only c-3P0 and R2-D2 as far as original characters go. I've got floods of great great names, but I won't reveal them until it is published, which I pray it will be. They are very good, as I am a great writer, to brag a little.

One thing I am fighting is writters block. I can't come up with much of a plot. A military legion(can't reveal name) is attacking the New Republic. It is led by a young Sith. He has an apprentice, who is an alien(no species yet). I have a main character, side characters and lots of ideas. I just need to put it all together. Please help! Also, I am having problems with female character names. If you have any that you will never use or reveal, please tell me. I'll credit you in my novel. PM me only with names, however. Thanks and I hope you folks have some great ideas!

May the Force be with you! And please respond quickly! :)

2. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    Anyone want to aid me here?

3. Aftermath

Aftermath Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 18, 2001
    You wouldn't happen to have AOL Instant Messanger, would you DarthBane77? I'm working on a Future Fic myself and I would be happy to help you with your story. I know from experience that Future Fics are difficult to manage (especially if you take a huge leap in time like I'm doing.) My prefered method of contant is AIM (my screen name is in my profile), but you could send me a PM too, if you don't have IM.

I find it interesting, however, that all Future Fics that I've ever seen have basically the same plot. :) Great minds think alike? Or are we birthing a new cliche. I started planning/writing my story before the NJO books started to be published and was shocked at the similarities. It kinda worries me at times, but I press on.

4. Spike2002

Spike2002 Former FF-UK RSA and Arena Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 4, 2002
    I replied to your other thread. Like I said in there, give me a rough outline of what your plot is and then I can help.

5. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    I've got floods of great great names, but I won't reveal them until it is published, which I pray it will be.

*Ug* Darth Heavy here, but it will save you a lot of heartache in the long run.

At this time (and in the long foreseeable future,) Lucasfilm is not going to allow fan fiction of ANY KIND to be published... (fanzines, the web ect ect ect fall under that funny wiggley area in copyright law that boil down to "Please Mr. Lucas, don't sue me and take my piggy bank, I'm not making money off of this!")

In order to write/publish Star Wars fics you need to go through a leangthy, legal and practicle series of 'hoops' (number one, being an established writer) before you are even allowed to submit a treatment.

What it boils down to is this...

Write Star Wars fiction because you enjoy writing and have a tale to tell, and thank the heavens that there are places such as JCF where you can share your work with others (I do everyday!).

Write your original story (not using ANY elements from Star Wars... copyright infringment) and start looking into places to submit (magazines ect ect...)

(I'd also advise you to read Stephen King's "On Writing"... if you are serious about becming an author outside of fan fic...)

Best of Luck...

6. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Breezy. I think he was making a joke when he said he'd credit us in his novel.

7. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    No joke. I would.

8. Melyanna

Melyanna Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 19, 2001
    All SW published material has to be officially licensed. Unless you've been asked by the publisher to write a novel for them, you're not getting it published. If you submit an unsolicited manuscript to the publishing house, they will send it back, unopened. The legal ramifications of them even looking at an unsolicited manuscript are enough to make your head spin.

Your best shot at "publication" is the internet, or a 'zine, if there are any around which are interested in this particular kind of story.

Sorry, but Breezy is absolutely right about this.

Mel

9. Kit'

Kit' Manager Emeritus & Kessel Run Champion! star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Winner

Oct 30, 1999
    Don't you already have a thread on this?

It helps to only make one thread per topic. Multiple topics on the same thing are either seen as promoting or spam....so I'd advise just to keep the help that you need for this story within here.

Melyanna and DarthBreezy are right about Lucas and copyright. Not only that, but publishing anything on the internet is a sure fire way not to get it published in real life. Publishers won't take it if they know it has been published on the internet....as why make people pay for something they can get for free?

Kithera

10. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Ah well. I'm still gonna help ya, but you do know you won't be getting it published.

11. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    Not neccisarily. I'll just say I know someone and something that not too many people do. I thing LTD might give me a chance.

12. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    realy, what mite that be?

13. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    He know's GL's daughter's friend's brother's pet monkey's cousin's former roommate.

14. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    It's not just LFL, though - the last time I checked, Del Rey (currently the publisher for the EU) isn't accepting any unsolicited manuscripts. So even if LFL didn't have a restriction about who gets to write (mind you, even the short stories that have appeared in Gamer have to be written by authors who already have publishing credentials), you'd still have the problem of not being able to submit to Del Rey.

Besides, as Breezy pointed out earlier, all stories have to be approved by the appropriate LFL representative. I suppose you can try to contact them about it, but they are extremely picky about who writes for them.

15. DropkickJake

DropkickJake Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 1, 2003
  16. DarthBane77

Feb 26, 2003
    oren...how'd you know!?!?!?!?!

lol

Actually, no. I have spoken to a few folks. Including those at Del Ray and Bantam.

17. Melyanna

Jul 19, 2001
    Okay, assuming you actually do know someone involved in the publishing arena (something which I've heard enough that I have a hard time believing it - nothing against you, but I know enough people who "knew someone" who turned out not to be as important as would be believed), why are you coming to us? If I give you a plot and it's published, I could theoretically sue you for it. Sure, it's difficult to argue a case like that, but the vast majority of publishers won't touch something that's seen the internet. It's too risky for them legally, and it's not a good move for them economically.

Unless the "someone" you've spoken to at Del Rey (by the way, I wasn't aware that Bantam published SW material anymore) is Shelley Shapiro, I'm afraid you don't have a chance. Fan fiction doesn't get published - anything on the web doesn't get published.

I don't mean to be rude, but in my experience "I know someone" doesn't usually turn out well.

Mel

18. Ornen

Ornen Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 22, 2003
    A janitor or two? ;) :p

19. DarthBreezy

DarthBreezy Chosen One star 6

Jun 4, 2002
    Let's also add to the brutaly honest here:

You claim to have 'contacts'.. surely your 'contacts' have told you that you need a TREATMENT at the very least... you say you're looking for a plot for a trilogy. I'm afraid to tell you that ANYTHING we suggest is ours. Say I give you a 'plot' and you write it and sell a whole load of copies... You'd be spending a whole load of money in Lawsuits because you'd be making money off of MY story... Copyright infringement and all... This is a BIG part of the reason why fan fiction is fortunate enough to have a blind eye turned to it... No money changes hands and fan fic authors are usually aware of this (they find out very quickly though)...

You're putting a lot of energy and time into 'defending' your contacts ects.. energy that I think could could be better put twords writing...

Please put this to rest and just enjoy fan fic writing for what it is...

20. Council_4848

Council_4848 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 21, 2003
    ummm...right. what's with all the posts on publishing? Bane, i thought u needed a plot...well, i don't have one yet, :) cuz i need some more info on your story line, right now i'm just confused (which happens very often and very easily, so don't feel bad ;))

21. drippyzeo

drippyzeo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 11, 2002
    Assuming he does have contacts with Del Rey or Bantam, one must wonder why they're interested in someone who needs to solicit OTHERS for a plot.

22. tatooinewizard

tatooinewizard Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2003
    Yeah, I'm willing to help with names and all like from the other thread, but I was wondering that too. Why would Del Rey be interested in someone who has to scrape all his ideas from different soures? I don't mean to be harsh, but it really confuses me. Plus if anyone is going to have their Star Wars fiction honestly published it's me because I'm going to be a famous writer, didn't you know.

23. Spike2002

Feb 4, 2002
    Acknowledgments:

I'd like to thank Spike2002, tatooinewizard, Darth Breezy and a bunch of other people for providing me with the plot and the names of my characters. Really, it should be you guys who are famous, but since I've got contacts, HA HA!

Bane77.

;)

24. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
  25. Diabla

Diabla Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 30, 2002
    That was a joke ;) ... and a good one at that. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.