main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing Styles and Star Wars Books

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Kimball_Kinnison, Oct 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    I was recently thinking about an old thread that I was involved in (over a year and a half ago) here that discussed Kevin J Anderson's skills as an author.

In the time since then, we have seen some of the most impressively written Star Wars novels come out, as well as the addition of several more authors and their styles to the SW universe. Overall, I would say that this has only improved the overall style of SW books.

For example, I always felt that KJA's style was better fitted to the young adult novels (YJK, JJK) and comics than the "adult" novels. While his stories are good (if a little formulaic), and he introduced many important concepts to the EU (such as the Academy), his style detracts some from his adult novels.

On the other hand, I have always felt that Zahn's style of writing fit better with the look and feel of the movies, even if his stories did not.

Similarly, I'd say that Denning and Stover both helped improve the style of SW writing, even if their stories did not exactly fit into a mold of what is "Star Wars" to many readers.

WHat are your thoughts?

Kimball Kinnison

2. JediTrilobite

JediTrilobite Jedi Grand Master star 7

Nov 17, 1999
    Well, Michael Stackpole's writing is geared more towards older teens and adults, mainly because of some of the themes in his novels, Star Wars and otherwise. There's violence, some sex and language. Seeing as that Stackpole wrote about Star Fighter pilots, that's not a surprise.

3. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    Now Kimball, you're going to have to go back to the Senate to explain all this! ;)

Here are my thoughts:

For example, I always felt that KJA's style was better fitted to the young adult novels (YJK, JJK) and comics than the "adult" novels. While his stories are good (if a little formulaic), and he introduced many important concepts to the EU (such as the Academy), his style detracts some from his adult novels.

I enjoyed KJA's ligthhearted style of writing. The tones for his writing usually seem appropriate to the story being told, and he makes Imperials look like bumbling fools all the time. He's good for a chuckle or three, but I don't think he was the right guy to write Star by Star or Traitor.

On the other hand, I have always felt that Zahn's style of writing fit better with the look and feel of the movies, even if his stories did not.

I agree totally with your assessment. His Star Wars style ought to flow in with the films the most easily because he was the first true EU author, and he only had the films to reference when constructing his stories. So it's natural one would be reflective of the other.

Similarly, I'd say that Denning and Stover both helped improve the style of SW writing, even if their stories did not exactly fit into a mold of what is "Star Wars" to many readers.

IMO, these two have emerged as "stars" in the group of NJO authors. Their gritty style was not only appropriate for the story, but a welcome kick in the ass of Star Wars EU.

4. Sam_Skywalker

Sam_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    Good to see you in lit, Kimball!

I read Darksaber a while ago and enjoyed it thouroughly. Anderson is really good at providing emotional intensity to a scene.
    On the other hand, Zahn's pace of books is far superior to any EU author I've read yet. Heir to the Empire is a great example of this. I prefer the fast pace, becasue it always keeps me interested.

5. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    I think Cunningham provided a very welcome relief in the characterization of Kyp and Jaina. Let's face it, her battle scenes sucked (my opinion), but the way she delved into the emotional being of both Jaina and Kyp was just. . .awesome.

The only Cunningham book I've read was Dark Journey, but I've read that she is a master at the emotions a character faces, and she proved that to me in DJ.

I believe that Stackpole did an excellent job portraying fighter pilots in and out of combat, a style I've tried to emulate in my fan fics.

As for Stover, I love all of his works due to the violence, the situations of the characters, the philosophy and the sheer realism that the characters face in their situations. It appears to me that there are several "real life" messeges in each of his works, which has helped me some. [face_blush]

I certainly welcome Stover, Stackpole and Denning any day, for the more mature and more violent styles and stories that they portray.

6. Daughter_of_Yubyub

Daughter_of_Yubyub Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 8, 2002
    Well, Allston's style is just plain fun, but he manages to slip some real good points in there at the same time. Think about the "You can't look dignified when you're having fun" scene. Once you're done laughing, really think about it.

I love Stover's style. Some of his descriptions are simply chilling. I can't wait to read something by him where more, well, happens than was the case of Traitor.

YubYub and TG- Protecting fangirls from hormonally gifted fanboys since 2002

7. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    Yeah, they do tend to excell in certain fortes.

Anderson: young-age writing
    Stackpole: starfighter-naval writing
    McDowell: military writing
    Hambly: emotional writing
    Tyers: emotional writing
    Allston: young-age writing
    Zahn: good allrounder
    Allen: good allrounder
    Crispin: young-age writing
    Rusch: good allrounder
    McIntyre: young-age writing
    Salvatore: young-age writing
    Luceno: good allrounder
    Keyes: horrible Rebirth
    Cunningham: horrible writing
    Reeves: young-age writing
    Bear: good allrounder
    Perry: quixotic but still young-age writing
    Wolvertone: good allrounder

8. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I think that Zahn has been the best author thus far in capturing the feel of Star Wars, something that I haven't seen in the NJO.

9. MariahJade2

MariahJade2 Former Fan Fiction Archive Editor star 5 VIP

Mar 18, 2001
    Hmmm Agree with Excellence for the most part.

Stover: Adult/teen, style is better suited to non-Star Wars material
    Anderson: young/teen. Style doesn't have enough depth for adult line.
    Stackpole: starfighter-naval writing. Mixed results but good fit for SW.
    McDowell: adult themes, military writing. I'd like to see him have another go at it, to see if he'd be able to improve on his mistakes.
    Hambly: emotional writing, her pacing is too slow.
    Tyers: emotional writing, but good at getting the characters right. SW fit good, as the saga needs to balance the military action with the indivdual stories.
    Allston: I'd label him fun/all-rounder.
    Zahn: Good fit, complex plotting, political/action oriented. Weak on the emotional end.
    Allen: good allrounder
    Crispin: young-age writing, Meh.
    Rusch: double meh. Not a good fit for my taste.
    McIntyre: young-age writing
    Salvatore: better in retrospect than my first impression. Teen writing. Not the best choice for the kick off novel.
    Luceno: good, not great. His style is too poderous and dull. Doesn't make me care enough about the characters.
    Keyes: horrible Rebirth (couldn't agree more)
    Cunningham: horrible writing (agreed)
    Reeves: young-age writing
    Bear: Ok. Didn't make much of an impression.
    Perry: Something was off in his novel. Can't really say exactly why. As if it was just slightly altered in a parallel universe, where everyone looks familiar but you are in the twilight zone.
    Wolvertone: Not bad, not great, can't really remember how he wrote, thus he must not have made much of an impression.

10. JediTrilobite

Nov 17, 1999
    I'd say that Stover is most suited for adults. He's got some nasty stuff in his SW books, like torture, graphic killing at times...

11. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    No offense Excellence, but I think that your list is a little bit too simplistic in detailing the writers. While Keyes may not have the best execution, if you look at the stories (especially those outside SW where his writing flows a bit better), you can see that presentation aside, there is a well developed and entwined storyline that runs through his work. With Williams and Dix, while they are the most SF bent of the authors (with the exception of Bear), this leads to the almost polarisation of like or dislike of FH. The best analogy I can come up with is that they have a style that is more of the kind seen in manga/anime, where full cohesive appreciation of the story isn't as easy to see, there is such a deep textured message to what you read from them.

I could keep going, but it's late here, so I'll do so in the morning. One last thing I'll add is that I do agree with KK in that KJA's writing does lend itself more to the slightly younger audience, which is no slight or issue to me.

12. Excellence

Excellence Jedi Knight star 7

Jul 28, 2002
    I agree, Dingo. My list was simplistic, and at that time of the night, was taylored to be. My ragtag fleet smashed again in Homeworld 2 may have contributed to my abbreviation. :p

@#$%*!

I wasn't intending to expand in detail, just a quick synopsis. I also forgot to include Stover (allrounder), Williams (bland, average) and Dix/Williams (allrounder). While their Force Heretic was widely regarded as medicore, their other books were excellent works. Authors' writing styles differ between their SW material and own works, often dramatically.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.