main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Writing the Star Wars Saga

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by Skott, Apr 25, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skott

Skott Jedi Youngling

Apr 25, 2003
    I'm in a discussion with a friend over what was originally planned/written for the entire SW saga pre 1977. He thinks Lucas's attempts to connect the prequils to the original trilogy have been "cheap, bumbly, and unconvincing" and believes the idea that Lucas had it all planned from the beginning is a load of manure. I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a website or give me information that can be verified on exactly what Lucas had planned/created/written about the complete story (from episode one through six or nine) before the 1977 release. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    Anybody have a copy of Journal of the Whills that Skott can borrow? :p

3. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    Lucas had a general idea of what he wanted, but that idea was evolving even as far back as RotJ. I think after that, he had a pretty good idea of what he wanted the prequels to be, but I firmly believe that he changed that vision after Episode I, to fit more with what he thought the fans wanted.

But he's just tooting his own horn by saying that it's all one story that was written in its entirety way back in the 70s. Gary Kurtz (producer of ANH and ESB) confirmed it at a convention a few years back when he outlined their original plan for all NINE films.

A few of the changes that he talked about were:

1. Leia was NOT Luke's sister. He did have a sister, but she wasn't supposed to be introduced until Episode VII.

2. Jedi was supposed to have a bittersweet ending with Han dying and Leia becoming Queen of the Galaxy.

3. The Emperor wasn't supposed to show up until Episode IX.

4. Episode I was supposed to be about how the Jedi started.

Lucas changes his mind constantly, and I'm convinced he sees the prequels as more of a vehicle to show off his technical achievements. The story, acting, and dialogue are all afterthoughts to him.

4. Starburstlvr

Starburstlvr Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    I'd also check out the Annotated Screenplays for the OT - I seem to remember something concerning this in there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.