main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Writing

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by bobtheman, Jun 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bobtheman

bobtheman Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 8, 2002
    How many of you are aspiring writers?

Do ever want to get your work published? Or do you just write for fun?

I would like this thread to be one where writers can come and talk about how they write, also they can discuss their ideas with other writers and get feed back on how to improve these ideas.

Yes I am an aspiring writer, when I first began writing I thought that it would be easy and fun. Well I was right about it being fun, but not easy. There are so many things that must be taken into account for a book to get to its final published version. Even then revesions can be made, and the book can be released as a second edition or something else.

2. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    I write all kinds of crazy crap.

3. bobtheman

Sep 8, 2002
    It might not be crazy, that is unless you are nuts anyway. Which I am not saying that you are but nuts people do write crazy crap if you know what I mean.

Oh and I am writing a science fiction series, it is quite complex. But shocking at the same time.

4. OBI-BEN-KENOBI

OBI-BEN-KENOBI Jedi Knight star 6

Mar 13, 2004
    meh, I'm writing a mystery right now.

5. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I am an aspiring writer.

that is my biggest passion and all my teachers used to tell my parents that I was going to be an author. I didn't find that out until two years ago when I started writing my book that they said that to my parents. My parents told me that when told them I was writing a book.

6. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I'm an aspiring writer, too. Currently honing my skills on competitions in magazines and roleplay over in the RPF while mulling over my two great projects - a mammoth Star Wars fic thats been around five years in the making, and an original novel - working title: The Twelve.

I also write the odd poem, and am attempting to write a few songs here and there since a friend of mine has promised to look them over and see if they're any good (he's a songwriter in a local band).

7. bobtheman

Sep 8, 2002
    If anyone wants a sample of what I am working on then head over to the writers lounge and check out my post on page 24.

8. JediFlork

JediFlork Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 27, 2003
    i write songs (both lyrics and guitar parts). i dont have a band though, i just play 'em on my guitar and occasionally (if im not feeling lazy) i'll attempt to sing what i have written.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I recently graduated with a BA in Fiction Writing, and am currently unemployed. I've written a lot of non genre short stories for school, most of which are pretty bad. However, I am revising a precious few that I consider worthwhile enough to actually send out. Also, I have started outlining a fantasy novel that may or may not come to fruition.

I love the process of constructing and telling stories, and can think of few greater rewards then someday seeing my name on a published work. However, I am at a crossroads in my life in many ways, torn between trying to find a "real" job while at the same time existing and thriving in a world where 1 out of every 1000 written manuscripts are actually published. I suppose time will tell how things turn out.

10. Arwen-Jade_Kenobi

Arwen-Jade_Kenobi Jedi Knight star 5

Feb 9, 2002
    I'm trying indeed. I have one short published by a local company in an anthology called "Infinite Memories" and I'm working on a novel, and hopfully its sequel, involving vampires. I have a lot of other ideas to try out once this one is done.

I do indeed to be published on a larger scale someday

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    I'm not much of a writer, but I've had this idea for a story for the past 5 years, and I've spent all that time developing the plot, characters and other details. Now I'm writing out a sort of encyclopedia of all the characters, events and places for the story. Hopefully someday I'll be able to develop it into a novel or two.

12. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I've spent six years working on a long story that will be divided into ten books. And I'm only on chapter 4 of book #1. I'm on my way :p

13. New_York_Jedi

New_York_Jedi Force Ghost star 6

Mar 16, 2002
    I've written about 3,000 words of a story I never expect to see finished.

I also have another 5,000 odd words worth of short stories/outlines of the entire history of the world my story is set in.

It's kind of Epic fantasy, but a little more "gritty". Think of it as a cross between Lord of the Rings and Hero's Die. :p

I just write for fun. I like my stories, and I share them with my friends. They like them too.

14. Mara

Mara Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 7, 1999
    I'm an aspiring writer. I've only written a couple of fanfics, but am planning to start writing a book this Summer. I've started describing the characters, places, etc but that's it so far. It's a sci-fi book and I hope I can get it published.

It's kind of weird, but I enjoy the 'creating worlds and characters' part a bit more than the writing itself. Does anyone feel the same way?

I guess one of the things compelling me to write this book is the fact that one of my Portuguese (my native language) teachers stuck in her head that I was a C student - no matter how well I wrote (general opinion) I'd always get Cs with her. Also, my vocabulary was broader than hers, which is quite funny, since I was 12 years old when she marked a word I wrote as a mistake, because to her it didn't make any sense in the context I wrote it, but it was right after all. I also got an extremely high language comprehension score on an IQ test I took (an official one, not those lame online things ;)), that unfortunately I never rubbed in her face. :p The only doubt I'm having is whether I should give her a copy of the book if it does get published, so she knows I remembered she'd been a bitch to me all those years, or if I shouldn't, because she'd gloat about having had a student that was now a writer (and neglecting to mention the grades she's always given me).

15. TheWombat

TheWombat Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 9, 2002
    I'm working on a fantasy novel, just finished the first draft with just over 87K words. I hope to get it published, if it's good enough. But if not, oh well. I just wanted to do it, so I'd never wonder what would have happened.

16. TheAdmiral

TheAdmiral Chosen One star 4

Mar 28, 2004
    I've tried to write a book and a story for Star Wars.
    I continue to write the story .

17. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I will sit down at the computer and begin to write. I really don't write it myself but allow the story to write itself. Part of the fun of it all is that I allow the story to turn anyway it wants and I'm along for the ride. Just like the reader I am shocked by the new developments in the plot.

I write for the fun of it. It takes a lot of my time and I don't do it everyday. When I do it, I enjoy it.

Sometimes I can write many pages in a short time, sometimes I can only write two pages in a long period of time...it really all depends.

So I write a story, If I finish it thats great....If I don't thats okay to. As I said I unleash the story and allow it to run off. If I don't like which path it runs and become bored I may stop writing. If I am still amused by the road it took then I will continue the journey with it.

So in other words I cannot sit down everyday and come up with a new story. I allow a story to come to me...and allow it to write itself.

It may seem half nuts, but that is my process.
    I make no outlines, and no brainstorms. Minus a spell check I edit nothing. I allow the story to run off into the area it wants to go.

-Seldon

18. Enji

Enji Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 14, 2002
    I write mainly short stories, since I usually get lots of ideas, but I also lose interest in my ideas so quickly... Writing short stories means I can get the idea down on paper, but I won't have to spend months with the same idea. ;)
    The only longer piece I've written is one of my SW fanfics, which I have been writing on for more than a year now.

I also enjoy writing poems. Never thought of getting anything published, though. I write them simply because I like to write them, and the fact that no one gets to read them but me doesn't bother me at all.

19. Sleezy

Sleezy Jedi Master star 3

Nov 18, 2002
    Aspiring writer here. Right now, I'm writing two graphic novels, and co-writing two others.

20. Forcebewitya

Forcebewitya Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 7, 2002
    I would consider myself and aspiring writer. I actually am posting from a week long summer honors class in writing taught by Dr. Dennis Hensley, he has written many articles, and books of all genre's. He's a great professor. He is really strict but also really informative and helpful. Like I now know how to get my writing published and how to sell articles to editors as a freelance writer. I'll have to post some of my notes maybe sometime they are SUPER helpful.

Forcebewitya!

21. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    Yes you will have to do that! ;)

Help us out.

22. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    I am currently co-writing a story with my best friend. It's turned out much better (and longer) than I thought it would..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.