main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [wtf am I watching] Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jun 14, 2014.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Remember, Sembeme was killed by a werwolf...

You are person number 2 who has complained about the baby killing. Make no mistake, I get it, but let me flip the coin. it's so over the top one can only take it so seriously, but seriously enough to get the point that these beings are evil. I am not sure what fine line I can paint for people. I am sure you have heard of MR Skin? He was interviewed on the radio one day and introduced a category called "best nude dead body". Well he got lots of criticism for that because it's a dead body. His response? "It's a movie, not a real dead body."

Understand? Sure lot's of scenes can mess with you. Just see the Sansa Stark wedding rape scene. So I would never hold it against anyone who had an issue, but I thought it was an awesome scene, utterly horrifying, but in a good character way.

2. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Interview with the showrunner

The showdown between Vanessa and the doll, was this Satan himself she confronted or another demon?
    It is Lucifer. It is the fallen angel himself. He's choosing to work through Evelyn Poole and this amazing simulacra of Vanessa because that is the tool that Evelyn uses. It is absolutely the Devil trying to charm, seduce, bully Vanessa into accepting him.
    Vanessa walks away from this battle in what looks to be a victory. Is this the end of Lucifer or is it another setback?
    No, you can't get rid of Lucifer that easily. This is one battle that Vanessa has won, but at an almighty cost. The first two seasons of Penny Dreadful were about getting a woman to burn a cross. While not usually in the show, we filter our religion but our lead character is deeply religious and she holds her catholic beliefs very close. Over the last two seasons, she's been so battered that she finally gives up. She loses her faith. Either she steps away from God or God steps away from her in an incredibly traumatic event. The way the season ends is with all the characters sent off by themselves. Vanessa no longer has the comfort of religion. She must walk alone with herself, wherever that may be. Ethan is headed to the place where he least wants to go, which is back to America. Dr. Frankenstein is lost in sort of a tragic drug haze because of guilt over what he's done. Sir Malcolm is heading off to bury his spiritual brother's body in Africa and The Creature is heading off to the frozen north. So what it is, is kind of a catastrophic ending for this family we have built so carefully, but really it was building step by step by step to get to Vanessa to burn that cross and to realize that she has to live without God.
    After Vanessa destroys the doll, a scorpion comes out and crawls onto her hand and she absorbs it. This scorpion has been her sign of protection. Was there more to this scene?
    The scorpion is her spirit animal, which she uses to protect herself. It becomes an all-purpose symbol for Vanessa. What the scorpion suggests to me is that she is being powered by this dark, frightening thing within her. When it melts into her hand, this isn't a gross shocking thing; this is her accepting the dark part of herself. She knows from the minute she accepts this scorpion and it gently melts into her, her destiny is set to that cross burning. Vanessa has accepted the complexity and duality of who she is. She is partly angel and partly monster, as are we all. And that finally is what the series is about.
    ----------

New horror icon for season 3

Rumor is Dr Jekyll which would expand upon the symbols of inner good and evil.

3. Jedi with a TARDIS

Jedi with a TARDIS Jedi Knight star 2

Mar 4, 2013
    I just don't get how you fight Satan with dark magic. You can't fight Satan with satanic powers. "Embracing your dark side" sounds exactly what the Prince of Darkness would want you to do. I just don't get the logic of it.

4. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    just finished S2 .
    great show mostly.

my main criticism is that it was too slow at times , each episode felt about 10 mins too long .

Eva Green is just astonishing , she's like a force of nature , she's the best thing about it .

the plot to get franky's monster into a cage was ridiculously convoluted , they coulda lured him in there at any time .

and why is Billy Piper immortal now ?

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

She is immortal because that is the way Doc Franky made his monsters. I assume that killing them is possible but will take far more than bullets. The Creature is immortal too.

Yes, Even Green is ridiculously awesome in this. She shines above but everyone is just fantastic and the performances grabbed me from the get go.

1. I would say you can fight anyone with anything. But, stare too long in the abyss and all.
    2. Vanessa is, shall we say, special. They have already said, though she still denied it, that she is a reincarnated being from ancient Egypt and Lucifer is trying to snag her again as in his own words, The Mother Of Evil.

6. Anakin_Skywalker20

Anakin_Skywalker20 Jedi Master star 5

Nov 16, 2000
    I love this show. Love it and looking forward to season 3 :) omg. Looks like there's more hope for Ethan and Vanessa. [face_love] No words can describe Eva because she is my fave actress in my top list. I have to say that Vanessa is her strongest role because her character shows a lot of range and Eva has managed to pull it off. Without her, the show probably wouldn't be much of a success. I'm surprised that the show itself is doing so well and that we are getting another season out of it [face_blush]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  7. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I do like that at the end of season two they do "win". But they are all battered to death and sitting in very dark places.

8. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Yup. It'll be interesting to see how they come together again in season 3.

9. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015
    I love Eva Green so much! [face_love]:D

Anakin_Skywalker20 likes this.
  10. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000

Me too [face_blush]

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  11. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Last week, I purchased two Penny Dreadful t-shirts that Im gonna wear to the fan expo in Toronto. :) One has Vanessa on the front and the other one has Ethan.

12. Only-One Cannoli

Only-One Cannoli Ex-Mod star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 20, 2003
    wtf happened to this thread.

13. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    Huh? lol. Nothing has happened...I recovered it from a few pages back. o_O

14. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    even in bad movies Eva Green is great , yes I'm looking at you Dark Shadows and 300 sequel .

VadersLaMent likes this.
  15. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    300 wasn't as bad but Green's character in it should not have died...but Dark Shadows? Oh don't get me started. I didn't quite enjoy that one. [face_not_talking][face_waiting]

VadersLaMent likes this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    I love that part, but man look into her eyes - its all there. The emotions - the feels...When that little scorpion went through her hand, I shuddered. It was the weirdest but freaky scene I've ever seen.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    The best to me has been the possession episode of season one. Not sure I typed this out here or not. The Devil as Mr Chandler holds her in his arms trying to seduce her to evil. She smiles ever so sweetly and lays her head on his chest as if it would be so nice to just give in. It is my favorite moment and I wish I knew if it was written or directed or she made it up on the spot.

19. Anakin_Skywalker20

Nov 16, 2000
    That too is one of my favorite scenes, aside for the seance in Episode 2. What did you think of Closer than Sisters?

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Oh, the revelation of all their sins. I recall near the end Mina bathed in light where Vanessa is surrounded by darkness. The whole episode promotes sexual awakening through a lens of, well, let's say what will eventually lead to witchcraft, a willful introduction to darkness.

21. leiamoody

leiamoody Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 8, 2005
    I haven't seen Season 2 yet...have to wait for a time to sit down and watch all the episodes together. But I definitely enjoyed most of Season 1 (I showed up for Eva Green and have pretty much stayed for her, although I'm rather surprised that I don't mind Josh Hartnett in this...Timothy Dalton is always great).

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    A few spoilers for season 3

Um, I don't think anything in that link will ruin anything much like knowing season 2 ahead of time would feature witches instead of vampires. 4 new guest characters, a new well known character introduced, and a previous actress returning for a different character.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    First Penny Dreadful season 3 photo

[​IMG]

tttt I read something about this season putting Vanessa in as bad a place as she has ever been. I thought the worst so far for her was the possession episode of season 1.

Speculations on season 3

This character, Dr Seward, is the name of the doc who watched over Renfield in Dracula.