main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [wtf am I watching] Penny Dreadful

Discussion in 'Community' started by Only-One Cannoli, Jun 14, 2014.

1. QueenSabe7

QueenSabe7 Chosen One star 6

Mar 23, 2001
    I still really believe that Vanessa's doctor IS the cut-wife. Her reaction as soon as Vanessa left was almost heart-breaking. All the woman wanted was to keep Vanessa from her dark impulses and she now knows that she failed... that's how I was reading it anyways. Yes, she could be reacting out of fear, but it appears there is more there than meets the eye.

So.... Dr Sweet. Glad they didn't leave us guessing all season. The attraction between he and Vanessa is intense.

Anyone else think Ethan's Apache "family" are fellow werewolves? Just a hunch...

2. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I've thought from the beginning that Chandler's family is all werewolves but this show could throw us for a loop on the matter.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  4. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Just starting the most recent episode. It occurred to me that Hecate may be trying to replace Vanessa as the Devil's(or Dracula's) Mother Of Evil through Mr Chandler.

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    So what were you doing when the blood covered threesome took place? Sheesh.

Vanessa and mirrors don't mix. The labrynth of her soul indeed.

Don't mess with Malcolm.

I like that the detective is open to the occult. Chandler, Hecate, Malcolm, the indian dude who's name I can't spell, the detective; that's gonna be a mess when they come together.

The end of course, Vanessa and the creature knew each other. I wonder how responsible she will be for his death. Perhaps Dracula will have killed him. There's a classic, Frankenstein's Monster vs Dracula. And at some point Franky takes that corpse.

6. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The "don't **** with Malcolm" moment with the racists on the train was one of my favorites this season so far.

The blood-covered threesome was pretty disturbing though. But then again...Dorian Grey. I think his lack of boundaries is part of the point.

Not sure which speech was my favorite : Henry's in the asylum or Lily's after the police confronted the suffragettes.

7. TX-20

TX-20 Force Ghost star 4

Jun 21, 2013
    The blood-covered threesome reminded me of Bill & Lorena from True Blood.

8. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    [​IMG]

Yeah, you know, not for kids.

QueenSabe7 and TX-20 like this.
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
  10. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  11. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "It's meant to make me like all the other women you know--compliant, obedient, cogs in an intricate social machine. No more."

*** ****ing damn I love that line.

And "One day soon, no one will touch you where you don't want to be touched."

Wasn't feeling the rest of it though.

Vanessa back and forth with Dracula/Satan the Orderly was both boring and weird. I could not get a time frame on it although I assumed it was a flashback. It made a little more sense when she came to in the orderly's office.

CT-867-5309 likes this.
  12. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    I assume that the Orderly did end up helping Vanessa escape before her surgery because it appears she is all there mentally (well, mostly...) in the present time of the show?

Anyways, intense episode of course. I can't even with Eva Green. So damn GOOD, every time. Loved the Dracula/Satan back and forth, specifically Dracula. Hope we get to see "Dr Sweet" again real soon...

13. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "You think you know evil? Here it stands." This might be the best line in the entire series.

Note that Vanessa mirrors Lily is escaping the bonds of men, and then puts them in their place. And now it occurs to me their stories are parallel as Vanessa has two "men" after her, as Lily does with Franky and Dr Jeckyll, and the Creature sits in the middle of all of them in some way.

I kept thinking if not for the possession episode in season one this might be the best episode. Now I'm on the fence over the matter.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  15. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Hecate is making great progress in turning Mr Chandler to the darkside.

Brian Cox who plays Chandler's father is the guy who played the creators of Wolverine and Jason Bourne. He does quite well here.

Malcolm his great lines and the one he utters this episode is a great explanation for every one of the lead characters. Once you have your prize, was it all worth it?

• “And at what cost? Your home’s empty. Your son hates you. Your vainglorious pursuits have led to nothing but bloodshed and heartache. But you’re right, the whiskey is very fine.”

QueenSabe7 and TX-20 like this.
  16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    The description of the war going on between the Apache people and the white settlers was pretty damn horrifying.

Good episode, although I'm a bit over women characters being possessed by the devil.

TX-20 likes this.
  18. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    These last 2 episodes have been my favorites of this season, more so episode 5. Ethan's story is so messed up...

I was really enjoying the dark pull Hecate had over Ethan and how they were together, I'm kind of miffed that she was killed. [face_plain]

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought Hecate would be around awhile. I thought maybe she would have a confrontation with Vanessa, a witch duel of some form. Oh well.

At times it almost felt like Malcolm was blending into the background. Then he goes and gives a good speech to Chandler's father then is the one who kills him. BLAMMO!

If Dr Franky at some point does kidnap Lily and subject her to his treatment, I think he is going to be in for a surprise as this formula has not been tested on one of his immortals.

Speaking of which, Billie Piper is a wonderful actress. Mercy. She still is merciful.

Let's see, Vanessa had phantom sex with the Devil, then this season has actual sex with his brother, Dracula. Just doin' it with Evil.

I am not happy the detective was killed. I wondered if perhaps he could have been brought into the fold.

I have not yet looked up the word "thanatologist" but Vanessa's new friend is cool. A female Van Helsing?

Again Lily's and Vanessa's story are parallel as they surround themselves with women.

QueenSabe7 likes this.
  20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Episode 7 already?!

21. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    All this darkness and devils and vampires and the most dreaded line is, "We are going to make you a proper woman."

[​IMG]

So, this would be Lily's daughter, and 1891 is when the show started. So her child died when the show started and she was possibly prostituting herself to support the child. Google was not kind enough to provide the shot of her walking out of the grave yard.

I thought perhaps Vanessa did not recognize Mr Claire but now she tries to remind him she worked in the asylum and he does not recall. His family reunion was good.

"I accept myself." Oh geez. Just can't resist that old Sith feeling. 2 hour season finale coming next.

22. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    I can't believe the season finale is already upon us.

Right up to the moment before Dracula bit Vanessa, I was so tense thinking she was still going to shoot him. Part of me thinks she is working some angle to destroy him, but most of me does think that she truly believes what he is telling her. I mean, I myself believe him to a point. That he cares for her as much as he can, being who he is. Anyways, should be interesting when the men return to London and see all that has happened while they were away.

I have to say, the Lilly story line was getting old to me, but I don't want to see her turned into a "proper woman"... Dorian "I'm Bored" Grey should just move on to his next exciting thing and leave her go. (After he kills that twit that he and Lilly saved way back of course).

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I have no idea how all those women will play out. When Chandler and gang return they are returning to London overtaken by stalking night creatures. I guess they'll all stay indoors unless there is a huge slaughter and Lilly's army is destroyed.

24. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    Without Lily I wonder what will happen to her ladies.. I suppose Justine will rush to take control and everything will fall apart. Which I am alright with. Or Dorian will wipe them all out himself, which I would be even more cool with.

25. QueenSabe7

Mar 23, 2001
    (Past the edit time for my previous post)

VadersLaMent I just realized I completely misread your last post and basically repeated what you said... apologies and apparently great minds think alike! :D

VadersLaMent likes this.