main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC WTF is an E-Cigarette?

Discussion in 'Community' started by yankee8255, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Katana_Geldar

Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master star 8

Mar 3, 2003
    I think you're weird. [face_mischief]

They're banned here, apparently.

2. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    I am weird. This is new?

3. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    What the hell for?

4. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Okay, I read that wrong. Nothing to see here... [face_whistling]

5. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Our TGA classifies nicotine as poison, with a special exemption for tobacco products. Not being a tobacco product, they are not exempt and thus illegal. Or that was the case when I first heard about these.

Of course you can still buy them online and nobody will care but it's illegal to sell them in a shop here.

6. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    There is so much wrong with what you're describing, I don't know where to begin.

7. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    From the articles I've seen on it it's a'Toy smoking?! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!!!' vibe.

They also cite a lack of studies or information on the long-term safety of inhaling just nicotine (though given the huge amount of studies on the long-term safety of inhaling tobacco smoke, this seems somewhat hypocritical.)

8. WormieSaber

WormieSaber Jedi Master star 5

Oct 22, 2000
    E-cigs...something for everybody today.

9. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Yeah, the anti-smoking lobby is kinda crazy here...but there are worse things to be crazy about I guess...

10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I don't see what's hypocritical about it. It's not as if the anti-smoking lobby wouldn't like to see a complete ban on tobacco products one day. They just don't have the political power to achieve it yet.

Further, this thing is being marketed as a tobacco cessation product. I don't see why it's unreasonable that someone produce reliable safety data on a medical device before they start selling it to people as such. Otherwise, we're back to the days of snake oil.

11. Katana_Geldar

Mar 3, 2003
    Well, considering the health labels (been on cigarettes since the 90's and getting more graphic as they went along), the barriers that have to cover the cigarattes now, plain packaging and a ban on advertising...banning e-cigarettes doesn't seem so crazy.

They won't get rid of them though, government love the taxes too much.

12. jacktherack

jacktherack Jedi Master star 4

Mar 19, 2008
    if they were happy with it then why did they return it?

13. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I would guess that the Blu and the V2 are not the same.

14. Souderwan

Jun 3, 2005
    A few things.

1) The product is marketed as a tobacco replacement product, vice a cessation product. It's true that there is some marketing for cessation, but most are trying to offer nicotine without the most common negative side effects of smoking.
    2) It's not a medical device and isn't sold as such.
    3) How would one go about getting reliable safety data exactly? How many years of studies would be acceptable before we conclude that it's acceptable? There's a huge difference between snake oil sales, which made wide, unverifiable claims in an environment where feedback from other customers was virtually impossible and selling a product in the information age where every user has the opportunity to voice his or her (dis)satisfaction.

I prefer to make my own choices and accept the risk. I smoked for 17 yrs and tried a number of "proven" methods to quit. None proved effective. I tried e-cigs and haven't even had a desire for a real cigarette since. Now, I'm still using nicotine, albeit at a much lower rate than a year ago, but I'm ok with that.

15. vin

vin Chosen One star 6

Dec 16, 1999
    We’ve come so far these last seven years.
    [​IMG]

3sm1r likes this.
  16. Sith_Sensei__Prime

Sith_Sensei__Prime Chosen One star 6

May 22, 2000
    We're banning e-cigarettes in San Francisco.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    In the UK as far as I can tell they are definitely legal for adults, and using them is allowed in public places and work places. However, businesses and pubs, restaurants, etc have the ability to set their own policy.

18. Chewgumma

Chewgumma Chosen One star 7

Apr 14, 2009
    I've been trying to persuade my dad, who can smoke a hundred cigarettes in a day if given a chance, to take up vaping instead. Unfortunately...

...such stories from the start of the "e-cigarette" craze means he refuses to give it a try, even though it gives him the nicotine hit, and lets him exercise all the physical ticks he associates with his addiction.

The fact that vaping has taken off and has taken a chunk out of the tobacco industry makes me happy in itself. It's even recognised as a healthy step towards quitting smoking by the NHS now. Unfortunately, it's just not enough to save some people from actual cigarettes.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
  19. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You could point out to your dad that cigarettes can also cause burns and set fire to things if one falls asleep while smoking. Maybe some reviews of particular products would help. Or take him to a vape shop where he can see what's on offer. (I know we have at least one in the town I'm in. It's right on the High Street.)

Last edited: Jun 21, 2019
    Chewgumma likes this.
  20. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    It's funny that 7 years later I've seen less and less of the 8 on the left and more people having the Big Kahuna on the far right.

[​IMG]

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    If I had one it would probably be one that doesn't look like a cigarette. But I don't think I'd want the Big Kahuna. (I don't smoke so vaping really doesn't appeal).

22. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    vaping never worked for me. didn't feel like smoking any more than the patch or the gum or any of the other things that i tried. so ymmv i guess.

i've made it nearly 18 months without smoking and i'm glad that i kicked nicotine at the same time, but if those nicotine substitutes work for others i think that's awesome. i wish they'd worked for me.

TiniTinyTony likes this.
  23. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Is nicotine on its own bad for you, or is it all the other stuff in the cigarette?

24. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Quick check with Doctor Google says that nicotine can be associated with cardiovascular disease and birth defects.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Nicotine on its own has detrimental effects, quite apart from the addictive properties.