JCC WTF is an E-Cigarette?

Discussion in 'Community' started by yankee8255, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    I think you're weird. [face_mischief]

They're banned here, apparently.
  2. TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master

star 6
    I am weird. This is new?
  3. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What the hell for?
  4. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Okay, I read that wrong. Nothing to see here... [face_whistling]
  5. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    Our TGA classifies nicotine as poison, with a special exemption for tobacco products. Not being a tobacco product, they are not exempt and thus illegal. Or that was the case when I first heard about these.

Of course you can still buy them online and nobody will care but it's illegal to sell them in a shop here.
  6. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    There is so much wrong with what you're describing, I don't know where to begin.
  7. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    From the articles I've seen on it it's a'Toy smoking?! WON'T SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN?!!!' vibe.

They also cite a lack of studies or information on the long-term safety of inhaling just nicotine (though given the huge amount of studies on the long-term safety of inhaling tobacco smoke, this seems somewhat hypocritical.)
  8. WormieSaber Jedi Master

star 5
    E-cigs...something for everybody today.
  9. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Yeah, the anti-smoking lobby is kinda crazy here...but there are worse things to be crazy about I guess...
  10. Jabba-wocky Force Ghost

star 8
    I don't see what's hypocritical about it. It's not as if the anti-smoking lobby wouldn't like to see a complete ban on tobacco products one day. They just don't have the political power to achieve it yet.

Further, this thing is being marketed as a tobacco cessation product. I don't see why it's unreasonable that someone produce reliable safety data on a medical device before they start selling it to people as such. Otherwise, we're back to the days of snake oil.
  11. Katana_Geldar Jedi Grand Master

star 8
    Well, considering the health labels (been on cigarettes since the 90's and getting more graphic as they went along), the barriers that have to cover the cigarattes now, plain packaging and a ban on advertising...banning e-cigarettes doesn't seem so crazy.

They won't get rid of them though, government love the taxes too much.
  12. jacktherack Jedi Master

star 4
    if they were happy with it then why did they return it?
  13. MarcusP2 Games and Community Reaper

Manager
    star 6
    I would guess that the Blu and the V2 are not the same.
  14. Souderwan Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    A few things.

1) The product is marketed as a tobacco replacement product, vice a cessation product. It's true that there is some marketing for cessation, but most are trying to offer nicotine without the most common negative side effects of smoking.
    2) It's not a medical device and isn't sold as such.
    3) How would one go about getting reliable safety data exactly? How many years of studies would be acceptable before we conclude that it's acceptable? There's a huge difference between snake oil sales, which made wide, unverifiable claims in an environment where feedback from other customers was virtually impossible and selling a product in the information age where every user has the opportunity to voice his or her (dis)satisfaction.

I prefer to make my own choices and accept the risk. I smoked for 17 yrs and tried a number of "proven" methods to quit. None proved effective. I tried e-cigs and haven't even had a desire for a real cigarette since. Now, I'm still using nicotine, albeit at a much lower rate than a year ago, but I'm ok with that.