main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

[WTH] Comms is too anti-discussion

Discussion in 'Communications' started by FlareStorm, Apr 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    You're right, you did, sorry about that.

2. royalguard96

royalguard96 Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 13, 2001
    This forum is actually very open to discussion compared to Philip's other site, rebelscum.com.

Check out their forum feedback section sometime. More than 3/4 of the threads there have one reply. From a moderator. Saying "Thanks, we'll look into it." Done. Thread closed.

If the mods here handled forum issues like that, there would be mutiny here.

3. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    This forum is actually very open to discussion compared to Philip's other site, rebelscum.com.

Check out their forum feedback section sometime. More than 3/4 of the threads there have one reply. From a moderator. Saying "Thanks, we'll look into it." Done. Thread closed.

Yeah, but that doesn't mean that any site that does better than that is great. I am rather dissapointed by the lack of communication in...comunnications.

Not that I'm saying all mods here are bad, though. I like quite a few of them.

4. Darth_Snowball

Darth_Snowball Jedi Youngling star 6

Jan 21, 2004

Snowball - you successfully derailed one thread, I'll ask you politely not to derail this one.

Malkie, that is the craziest thing you have ever posted. How did I derail that thread? We were discussing the rules of the JCC social threads and how the Knights wanted one.

Get this...

The name of the thread was...

[JCC]New social threads in the JC

Want me to link it to you?

Is that a threat ?

The real question is, do you feel lucky? Well, do you?

Something like that would likely be considered a coordinated trolilng attack, and would wind up getting a large number of people banned, and would do nothing to get you what you want. If anything, it would make you more likely to fail in your desires.

My post came of wrong. Forcefed added clarity to what I was trying to say. I may have usernotes longer than...Err, nevermind, but when have I ever led a trolling group or tried to cause harm to this site which I love and spend a lot of time at?

Lord knows I'm not trying to derail, but my two biggest questions were not answered before Malkie locked that thread.

1. Why can't we simply change the title from the Fecal Force to the JCC Knights? My God that would be so simple.

2. Why was the Shadow Sith Army allowed a permanent thread after the one month rule was in place? Nobody can seem to answer that.

5. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    How about "The JCC Knights present the Fecal Force!" Nice ring to that. I would like those questions answered. [face_thinking]

6. sidious618

sidious618 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 20, 2003
    Nobody can seem to answer that.

Don't get your hopes up. Sadly, you'll be dissapointed if you do.

Although I really would like an answer to this question.

7. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

Alright, I was just talking to my buddy Amos via AOL. He told me the truth. I'm sure he will not mind me reposting the convo we just had a few moments ago. It shocked me.

Nositttt: Question time. Why were the Shadow Sith Army allowed a permanent social/group thread? They started after the new rule was enforced.

FamousAmos0307: It turns out there's a difference between a social thread and a social group(I didn't realize this until the other JCC mods pointed it out to me). Social threads(the chit chatty type threads) have a waiting list. Social groups are groups that have clear cut rosters and , promotions, things like that. The DLs, BYS, are Social groups. Basically, social groups are pretty much on a mod approval basis. the Shadow Sith guys wrote up this proposal deal and gave it to us(JCC mods) to consider, and we thought it was okay
    FamousAmos0307: that was what happened

So I ask agian why we can't have our social group thread.

...clear cut rosters and, promotions, things like that. Check

Who do I send the "proposal deal" to?

8. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    snowball to be completely objective, the original post in that i made was extremely general. It had no mention of the knights in it.

9. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    1. Why can't we simply change the title from the Fecal Force to the JCC Knights? My God that would be so simple.

That would be an issue to take up with a JCC mod via PM.

2. Why was the Shadow Sith Army allowed a permanent thread after the one month rule was in place? Nobody can seem to answer that.

This would also be an issue to take to a JCC mod via PM.

And I will note that PMs are the preferred contact method, because they can be verified by the administration if needed. AIM chats, emails, or any other off-board communication can be falsified.

Kimball Kinnison

10. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

NJO, I hear ya, dude. But how was I derailing a thread on social threads by talking about social threads? [face_laugh]

Edit: Kimble, isn't this the place to discuss the boards? Nothing is ever solved via pms. I have asked why we can't switch the name of a thread via pm. I get back, "It wouldn't be fair."

11. cc2318

cc2318 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 21, 2002
    blah blah blah blah SOCIAL THREADS RULE!!!!

12. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Jack1138 posted on 4/25/05 3:52pm
    How about "The JCC Knights present the Fecal Force!" Nice ring to that. I would like those questions answered. [face_thinking]
    [hr][/blockquote]

[color=red]Ewwwwwwww, sounds like the L.A. Angels of Anaheim. It doesn't make sense![/color]

13. droideka27

droideka27 Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2002

I wouldn't really have a problem with that... merging the groups. but it would have to be fine with all the fecals, and my lovely comods.

[/i]

We got a long written proposal and discussed it, and decided it was advantageous to have in the forum, as it was a group that encourages better posting habits.

14. Kimball_Kinnison

Kimball_Kinnison Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 28, 2001
    Edit: Kimble, isn't this the place to discuss the boards? Nothing is ever solved via pms. I have asked why we can't switch the name of a thread via pm. I get back, "It wouldn't be fair."

As has been pointed out multiple times in this thread, Comms is here to deal with board-wide issues. If you have problems with a specific moderator or forum, first you should take it up with the moderator(s) of that forum. If that fails, take it to an admin directly.

It's not the place to simply come as a first resort when you don't get your way.

Kimball Kinnison

15. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    edit: Big mistake made by me! Move along, move along.

16. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

I wouldn't really have a problem with that... merging the groups. but it would have to be fine with all the fecals, and my lovely comods.

The Fecals are SLR, Mortimer_Snerd, Baronfel88, DarthHorax. All JCC Knights.

We got a long written proposal and discussed it, and decided it was advantageous to have in the forum, as it was a group that encourages better posting habits.

So we lack the better posting habits part. :p

Say I add some bs about no spamming/flamming into the thread. ;)

17. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    So we lack the better posting habits part.

Say I add some bs about no spamming/flamming into the thread.

I think groups like the lightside, while not for everyone, do improve the forums. They help users learn the rules and get to know the boards better, and build better posters.

It's not just a chat thread.

18. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    The DLs do that too. In fact, they did it so well that folks thought it was the moderator training ground.

19. droideka27

May 28, 2002
    Actually, I'm pretty sure that's not exactly why the DLs were thought to be a "moderator 'training' ground."

But whatever.

DLs, lightside, and now the shadow sith army. very similar things.

20. Quixotic-Sith

Quixotic-Sith Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 22, 2001
    droideka27-

Don't make me turn this into Comms drama! :p

21. droideka27

May 28, 2002
  22. Jack1138

Jack1138 Jedi Master star 5

Jan 8, 2005
    Well, save for but a ..er few missteps along the way, I believe the Knights have contributed quite well to the overall quality of the boards. It would be nice to have our own Social Group thread. :)

23. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    It'd be funny to watch the lightside and DLs merge into a group thread - it'd be like two clans in battle. :cool:

24. Jedi_Master_Anakin

Jedi_Master_Anakin Jedi Master star 4

May 25, 2002
    I wouldn't say that Comms is "anti-Discussion" just that people get tired of repetition.. Have you guys ever been to the Senate? Give any thread long enough, and no matter how good the posters in the thread are, you will have some serious derailing and often even some flame/baiting. Check the homosexuality threads if you doubt me.

That being said I do agree that for a public forum it seems to discourage public conversation. I'm far from singling anybody out. But it seems that a few people (mods and reg's alike) seem to take certain things to the extreme. The PM system, while affective for small issues (like "Hey, why was I banned?" or "Hey why was my thread locked") are extremely efficient. But for larger scale issues (like social thread) PM's may not be able to get the opinions across that a thread like the Social Thread thread needed to have to relay the point. Agreed that the JCC sticky threads would have been best, but does it seem very wrong to discuss policy in the forum designed to discuss policy? I would say no, but some seem to disagree.

25. Darth_Snowball

Jan 21, 2004

I strongly agree with you. It's very strange to me that we can't discuss what is going on in the JC in a forum dedicated to...

Discussing what is going on in the JC.

This take it to pm stuff has always made me laugh. This is the place to bring up problems and talk about it in the open.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.