main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

WTH is a firing arc?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: RPG & Miniatures' started by Shadowen, Apr 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shadowen

Shadowen Jedi Youngling star 3

May 11, 1999
    I come across this statement numerous times as I read through the section on Weapon Emplacement Points and Weapon Systems and so forth in Starship of the Galaxay. I have a fair idea what it means, but it doesn't spell it out--and in a game, you need things spelled out!

2. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    fire arc is the area the weapon can fire in: like 360 degree arc can hit in all directions, 180 can only hit front and sides or back and sides, 90 and lower is gonna be stuck in only on direction to fire, front,back, or one side
    hope that helps :)

edit: here we go i knew there was a diagram that shows the firing arcs for ships: Go to page 213 of the revised core rulebook

3. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Um. Okay. That kinda helps, I guess. So no more than half of the weapon systems can't be mount facing the same way on a Medium-sized or larger ship. So, like, for a medium-sized or larger ship with two guns, both of them couldn't face left; it would have to be left and front, or left and rear, or left and right, etc.?

Okay. Now what about batteries and turrets? I can't find those anywhere either. I know that no more than a quarter of a Medium or larger ship's weapons can be turrets, either full or partial, and that turrets can fire in many directions, but what are the costs for building them in such a manner?

And just what are the rules for batteries, because the Executor has 250 turbolasers and accounts for them with only fifty batteries.

4. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Never mind about turrets.

5. Protoss72000

Protoss72000 Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2001
    batteries have turbolasers that are fire-linked together. Take the falcon in ANH it had a battery of 2 turbolasers fire-linked (both lasers fire when you pull trigger)

maybe i can explain arc better then i did, arc is just the direction the weapon can hit front,left,right,back and a turret allows the weapon to hit 2 areas front/left, front/right etc..

hope this is helping, maybe someone else will come on and explain better then me

6. Gorin_Zachian

Gorin_Zachian Jedi Padawan star 4

May 13, 2002
    Batteries are mearly WOTC's way making sure that you DON't have to roll like 250d20's to fire all the guns.

Batteries are groups of the same weapon, usually in 5s. You roll one attack roll with the battery and, if that hits, you roll another one, and so on, untill one misses or the 5th one hits. You then roll damage for the guns.

I belive thats right anyway, i don't have my RCRB on me right now, so i may be wrong, Call in dp4m!

7. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Sigh...

Batteries are treated as ONE attack roll. Fors each interval over the Defense of the ship being fired upon (I believe for every 3 over) one EXTRA shot hits.

So:

Battery of 5 Turbolasers firing at a space transport with a defense of 23.

22< == Miss
    23 - 25 == 1 Turbolaser Hit
    26 - 28 == 2 Turbolaser Hits
    29 - 31 == 3 Turbolaser Hits
    32 - 34 == 4 Turbolaser Hits
    35+ == All 5 hit.

Of course, if the "3 interval" isn't correct, just modify that above. I can check the exact # tonight...

8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Ha! I rule. For every interval of 3 your roll exceeds the target's defense, an extra weapon in the battery hits.

HOWEVER, what I forgot to mention was that one battery fires one shot WITH A +X bonus, where X = # of Weapons in the Battery - 1

9. Shadowen

May 11, 1999
    Cool.

And lastly...what about weapon range modifiers? In the core book, for starfighters there seems to be no penalty for firing at point blank, but in SotG most starfighters are listed with a -2 modifier.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.